• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape on covert restoration or regular grade

3 posts in this topic

I have submitted a number of Golden Age and Silver Age comics for grading with tape on the cover. They have received a lesser grade though the conditions varied.

Also, all were graded as "Universal" except for one which was graded as a "Restoration". It was Fantastic Four number 5 and the tape on that is the same as with the others previously mentioned. No new materials were added or touched up in any way. CGC did nothing to the book as well, but rated it as a 1.5. Tape on the cover either is a restoration or not when no other materials or work was done. 

Anyone have this issue and what did you do?

Of course they can chrge you again for another review

Do they ever admit a mistake?

I have about two hundred more comics to garde and what to go the right direction.

Thanks

20181130_175423.jpg

20181130_180115.jpg

21 hours ago, marvinjoan said:

I have submitted a number of Golden Age and Silver Age comics for grading with tape on the cover. They have received a lesser grade though the conditions varied.

Also, all were graded as "Universal" except for one which was graded as a "Restoration". It was Fantastic Four number 5 and the tape on that is the same as with the others previously mentioned. No new materials were added or touched up in any way. CGC did nothing to the book as well, but rated it as a 1.5. Tape on the cover either is a restoration or not when no other materials or work was done. 

Anyone have this issue and what did you do?

Of course they can chrge you again for another review

Do they ever admit a mistake?

I have about two hundred more comics to garde and what to go the right direction.

Thanks

20181130_175423.jpg

The Purple Label example clearly states pieces added. That is much different than just 'tape' . Apparently CGC felt a piece was married from another copy with tape. Since the piece was not original to the specific copy, it is therefore considered Restored.