• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK CLIMATE CHANGE FOR REAL?

8 posts in this topic

Across the board, the general consensus is the recent Comiclink auction was/is soft & a "buyers" auction, many keys & most books in general, performed on the lower end or below projected current MV. & I know one weak auction does not make or break any hobby. However I also know from several conversations at recent shows over the past few months I am not the only one wondering if the hobby is heading towards an overall cooling downtrend, not a crash but correction, it's been so hot for so long you just have/had to wonder how long could/can it keep going?  In fact at a small local show last weekend in Cherry Hill NJ talking about this very topic at a table with several dealers I was reminded "remember these aren't comics anymore they are investments"    ( Please Note: this post is not about you showing us all one super hot book that is racing up the chart based on movie rumors or because there was one record price on a rare Archie, it's about an overview of the market in general & the current vibe & whispers I am picking up on here & there )

Edited by Frank Mozz

There is probably a lot of truth to what you are saying.  That being said I just started collecting again after about a 30 year break.  I started again somewhat because of the movies but mostly for the nostalgic of it (which the movies brought back for me) and am not buying for an investment. I just bought ASM 238 9.8 for $1000 which seems absurd to me to be honest lol.  The reason for me anyways, was that I always wanted that issue and recall trying for years in the mid 80's to try and get that book and never could find one. I don't think I even seen the cover of that book until recently!   I didn't even think the Hobgoblin was that popular.....You gotta love shopping online!!!!

Edited by Xenosmilus

35 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:
 Across the board, the general consensus is the recent Comiclink auction was/is soft & a "buyers" auction, many keys & most books in general, performed on the lower end or below projected current MV. & I know one weak auction does not make or break any hobby. However I also know from several conversations at recent shows over the past few months I am not the only one wondering if the hobby is heading towards an overall cooling downtrend, not a crash but correction, it's been so hot for so long you just have/had to wonder how long could/can it keep going?  In fact at a small local show last weekend in Cherry Hill NJ talking about this very topic at a table with several dealers I was reminded "remember these aren't comics anymore they are investments"    ( Please Note: this post is not about you showing us all one super hot book that is racing up the chart based on movie rumors or because there was one record price on a rare Archie, it's about an overview of the market in general & the current vibe & whispers I am picking up on here & there )

Lets hope ! its time for a down line ! prices are stupid .

This time of year is soft usually as well.

Edited by paul747

this is hilarious- just a few weeks ago it was all about the strong results in the heritage auction. hulk 181 is coming back down to earth a smidge and people are talking like the market is diving. it's been an extraordinarily good year for comics. it's winter now. this always happens. 

8 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I just bought ASM 238 9.8 for $1000 which seems absurd to me to be honest lol.  The reason for me anyways, was that I always wanted that issue and recall trying for years in the mid 80's to try and get that book and never could find one. I don't think I even seen the cover of that book until recently!   I didn't even think the Hobgoblin was that popular.....You gotta love shopping online!!!!

https://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=AmazingSpider-Man_238_74932

nice copy (thumbsu

7 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is hilarious- just a few weeks ago it was all about the strong results in the heritage auction. hulk 181 is coming back down to earth a smidge and people are talking like the market is diving. it's been an extraordinarily good year for comics. it's winter now. this always happens. 

I don't think anyone was suggesting the market was diving or that certain books are not moving upwards or are not hot ,the comment was more about the perception across the board, it may just be as someone said the time of year, but in the past that has not been much of an issue and lets be straight the last auction  had a lot of strong books that sold for less than you would expected.

The Heritage auction was very soft to. I think soft auctions happen, and it’s hard to say if this is a future look at what’s to come. A lot of books, even despite movies are hot right now, but yeah sometimes books simmer down a little. I think there were some impressive sales to though. Regardless, I’ve also heard the price correction rumors as well though so who knows.

Edited by LDarkseid1

The hobby's money infusion largely comes from stock market returns and real estate and income growth.

All those arrows are trending down.

The comic market is reflecting economic reality, there is little extra cash to throw at comic books.