• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

overstreet misprint?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

So I'm looking in my overstreet price guide and it says that alfred's last name is revealed as pennyworth in batman 214.

so i get a nice copy of batman 214 off eBay. It cost me about 40 bucks with shipping. when i receive it, I cannot find mention of the name pennyworth anywhere in the book. However in batman 216, alfred mentions his brothers full name and the last name is pennyworth. did i just waste 40 bucks on the wrong book? can anyone help me with info on this topic?

What does your Overstreet Price Guide show for these two issues?

From the 2015/2016 Overstreet Price Guide...

Detective Comics #96 February 1945

thumbnail (1).jpg

Batman #214 August 1969

thumbnail.jpg

Synopsis from MyComicShop.com for Batman #214

First 15-cent cover price. Alfred given a new last name, Pennyworth, in "Batman's Marriage Trap!" --script by Frank Robbins, pencils by Irv Novick, inks by Joe Giella. Letter to the editor from comics historian Peter Sanderson Jr. Novick cover? Cover price $0.15.

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 11/30/2018 at 10:33 PM, MARK ARNEY said:

So I'm looking in my overstreet price guide and it says that alfred's last name is revealed as pennyworth in batman 214.

so i get a nice copy of batman 214 off eBay. It cost me about 40 bucks with shipping. when i receive it, I cannot find mention of the name pennyworth anywhere in the book. However in batman 216, alfred mentions his brothers full name and the last name is pennyworth. did i just waste 40 bucks on the wrong book? can anyone help me with info on this topic?

Good observation on your part and you are correct... Overstreet is in error.

The last time Overstreet correctly listed Batman #216 as the first mention of "Pennyworth" was the 21st issue of The Price Guide.   Starting with the 22nd issue and all issues after that, it has been incorrectly listed as #214.    So it has been wrong in Overstreet now for approximately 27 years.  I love the Overstreet Price Guide and it is a wealth of accurate information.   However, it has errors and whenever I've sent an email to point out the error, the message was received and no corrections were made.    

I recommend you take some consolation with the following.  Neither Batman 214 or Batman 216 is really a key issue in my mind.  But 214 is an awesome story about a lady who wants to lure Batman into marriage.  So just enjoy the story, the advertisements, and DC's letter explaining the huge price hike from 12 cents to 15 cents.    You just bought a great comic book!   And I'm sure you can go find a great copy of 216 right now, before the word gets out that it is actually the "Pennyworth" issue... LOL.

Now I am looking forward to seeing if the next Overstreet Price Guide still has the same error.  Shown below is a scan from issue #21 of the price guide showing issue 216 as being the "Pennyworth" issue:

IMG_0082.thumb.jpg.6f4723ead83bed972a02186d6bdf6215.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

7 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

The last time Overstreet correctly listed Batman #216 as the first mention of "Pennyworth" was the 21st issue of The Price Guide.   Starting with the 22nd issue and all issues after that, it has been incorrectly listed as #214.    So it has been wrong in Overstreet now for approximately 27 years.  I love the Overstreet Price Guide and it is a wealth of accurate information.   However, it has errors and whenever I've sent an email to point out the error, the message was received and no corrections were made.    

I've always heard that Overstreet intentionally sprinkles errors into the guide to catch others that try to copy/plagiarize their work and produce a competing guide.  The theory goes that if the information between the two guides is the same, then Overstreet can easily defend itself in any copyright suite.

This was discussed a little in the following thread:

I'm not sure how much truth there is to these claims with Overstreet, nor am I saying that the "Pennyworth" notation is intentional.  At the same time, it could explain the error and the reason why corrections are slow or never to be made.

On 12/1/2018 at 4:44 PM, Mercury Man said:

Not being sarcastic, I am just amazed that the revelation of Alfred's last name conjures any sort of extra notation from Overstreet, CGC or anywhere else.  

Mercury Man, you cannot have a complete Batman collection without a copy of the issue where Alfred's last name is changed! The mere thought of such a thing! OH the HORROR!

On 12/13/2018 at 10:26 PM, MARK ARNEY said:

Mercury Man, you cannot have a complete Batman collection without a copy of the issue where Alfred's last name is changed! The mere thought of such a thing! OH the HORROR!

It is hard to imagine any die-hard Batman fan not having at least all issues from #163 up... so many great and sometimes corny stories!

Edited by Cpt Kirk