• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spilled inks John Romita Jr X-Men art
1 1

19 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

On ebay now.  the description is too funny?! not sure what to think - thought I would share and see how others feel.

link here

s-l1600.jpg

Clearly was not taken to completion during the inking process so it would have had to have been Dan Green, the inker, who made the blunder.  Freaking inkers ruin everything.

12 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Loving all the funny comments. On a serious note - would anyone buy such a page? Or would the ink be too much to bear.  I like how the seller says it could have been Kirby or Stan Lee that spilled the ink. 

Y'know, even if the guy had photos of Stan and Jack doing that together, like smearing ink all over the panels, and then signing a COA saying they'd done it, even then,...$5000?  Really? 

Edited by glendgold

13 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Loving all the funny comments. On a serious note - would anyone buy such a page? Or would the ink be too much to bear.  I like how the seller says it could have been Kirby or Stan Lee that spilled the ink. 

There is nothing wrong with it except the price. It's unpublished. And damaged. Neither adds value and I don't think a decent (but hardly rockin') JRJr X-Men panel page is $5k...but I haven't followed for a while. Are they now?

52 minutes ago, aokartman said:

It looks to me like he has two authentic Romita sketches, but I'm just a rube, and the pricing is beyond me.

Honestly, I don’t doubt the sketches are authentic. I just would prefer a little backstory as to how they came into his possession. Not sure why that’s withheld. That withholding of information doesn’t give me further assurances about aunthenticity (it doesn’t squash the doubt) when paying $5k. On eBay

This page wasn't published?  Then the spill must have happened before it got to the publishing stage.  Some of those blots look pretty deliberate.  I wonder what the story is.

Is its replacement extant?  Did they use stats of this page's unblemished panels?

Not without value. If I owned the published (replacement) page, I'd want this one to go with it.

Looking at the undamaged panels they look like they match down to the brush strokes. I think JRJR redrew the three panels and they were then inked and stripped into the final printed page. So this looks like 1/2 the published page with unpublished damaged 3 panels which were redrawn on a separate board.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

i have not seen anything, but anyone willing to wager there's a 2nd version of this page out there, with the top 3 panels as stats and the rest of the page original art?

Yes, or just another page with the 3 drawn panels and black space were the top 3 good panels are. But a stat is my best bet.