• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got My Groo Cover! Any other AIf theragones collectors here?

29 posts in this topic

The year is almost over and I did not buy a single piece of comic art because I sort of shifted interests and had other pursuits.  Then I realized I could not go a year without buying anything can I?  So I got me this....

Groo #3 (Dark Horse 1998) Original Cover Art by Sergio Aragones

I wrote a much longer discourse on that cover art I got in the link above.  There is also a high resolution image on that page.

I tried to do some searches here with the search function and realized not a lot of Groo original art collectors here.  As for me, this is my second Groo piece.

Any other closet Groo or Aragones collectors or even just fans?  I'd love to see what you guys have.

Groo-3-JBF-599p.jpg

Am a big nostalgic Groo (marvel era) fan. Don’t own any, and never actively searched for art from it. But have very fond memories of the chuckles and of scouring for all the little gags hidden In the background details of the big crowd scenes.

For those that have interest and funds - Sergio still has most of the art from the 1980s epic run.  He sells complete books for 12.5k. As later issues were thicker - you get more art for the same price with those. From what I heard - he only sold a handful so there is a lot of choice.  He also sells art at sdcc - for anyone who is gonna go.

17 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Am a big nostalgic Groo (marvel era) fan. Don’t own any, and never actively searched for art from it. But have very fond memories of the chuckles and of scouring for all the little gags hidden In the background details of the big crowd scenes.

I am not sure, but doesn't the background moon with the Mistrel's balls is his hat form a face with his finger as the lips?  Is that a hidden gag?

12 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

What I want to know is what’s an “Alf Theragones?” :baiting:

Kidding aside, it’s a great cover. Not many of those in collections. 

Blame it on the auto correct! Not sure what Alf Theragones is either!  I am not sure if I can still change the subject heading, I don't think I can though.

13 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

For those that have interest and funds - Sergio still has most of the art from the 1980s epic run.  He sells complete books for 12.5k. As later issues were thicker - you get more art for the same price with those. From what I heard - he only sold a handful so there is a lot of choice.  He also sells art at sdcc - for anyone who is gonna go.

Yes, that is what I've heard but it seems like 12.5 k is a sizeable amount to shell out.  Maybe someday!

17 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

I've been a Groo fan from the very beginning, just never found any OA available as nice as this pick-up. A great cover and an interesting write-up. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for checking out the writeup in the CAF page.

15 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

For those that have interest and funds - Sergio still has most of the art from the 1980s epic run.  He sells complete books for 12.5k.

That seems like a pretty fair price; are covers included in the $12.5k?

12 hours ago, O. said:

That seems like a pretty fair price; are covers included in the $12.5k?

you get the whole book. covers (front and back, inside and out) and all. early issues all featured 2 page spread on page 2-3. also there is always a gag on the inside covers with sergio and the other artists talking about the issue. some issues had puzzles/games. these all come included if you get the complete issue. 

from what I have heard - the reason you can buy individual covers from later series is that  some covers were accidentally sold - so he said to heck with it and started selling the art piece by piece. This is not true for the original series  - where he kept issues together.  

13 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

you get the whole book. covers (front and back, inside and out) and all. early issues all featured 2 page spread on page 2-3. also there is always a gag on the inside covers with sergio and the other artists talking about the issue. some issues had puzzles/games. these all come included if you get the complete issue.

Wow $12.5k for all that looks like a good deal, given Groo's following, Aragones' pedigree and the vintage of that art!

16 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

from what I have heard - the reason you can buy individual covers from later series is that  some covers were accidentally sold - so he said to heck with it and started selling the art piece by piece. This is not true for the original series  - where he kept issues together.  

I thought many of the earliest books were sold intact to a collector? 

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

For sure a handful like #1 are gone - but many remain.  I know I enquired about a storyline where groo was little (l'll groo) but as that was a multipart story he would want to sell all those issues together. Now that was real overkill for me. I got some tpb covers and called it a day. My groo fix is satisfied... for now.

Yeah, $12,500 for an entire Groo comic, including the cover? That’s ridiculously cheap! That’s $550 a page. 

Some of the earlier issues are more.  Last I heard, Sergio's rep was only releasing a few (3?) of them a year.  And you have to sign a contract that you can't sell any of the art until Sergio passes away.  I heard that an auction house was trying to buy a bunch of them for resale and were turned away.  #1 is promised to a family member. 

I believe that's what happened with the issues published by Pacific.  Sergio at one point had all of his Marvel Groo art complete.  

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Plus you have to call his rep three times, not have him call you back, send the money on faith and get your art three months later once all the kinks are out and Sergio's had time to scan it.   But well worth it.

I went through all the books I thought were available (although I missed one that Gene snagged ;) ) and decided I liked #21 best.    Literally every element I could ask for from a sinking ship to cheese dip jokes to aragones babes to battles to every page having groo, plus a fantasty theme with dragons and sword and sorcery, and if that wasn't enough the 1st appearance of my favorite supporting characters.   Great stuff!    I suspect the 'no resale til death' clause is the only thing causing it to not all be gone already.

I'll take the opportunity to paste this anytime :insane:

uPs4yd0K_0610150236191.jpg

So awesome.

The later Groo issues - Image and Dark Horse have been out in the market with pages popping out.  I think Sergio broke those up.

Covers of the TPB's have also been coming out to the market.  As a matter of fact, my other Groo art is a TPB cover which I love because of how big the characters are drawn and how it features more or less the most important case of characters in the Groo pantheon.  Here it is:

9XTtbFFI_0312180201151sbpi.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1345728

I would love to own a complete book one day because although I have two Groo covers, it does not feel complete without Evanier's dialogue as lettered by Sakai (too bad Luth's colors aren't on the same page).

Maybe someday.... :)