• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this considered yellowing? A stain?

8 posts in this topic

Interested in picking this up. It looks great, but it does have some discoloration at the bottom left. Just curious how much this would affect the grade considering how good of shape the rest of the book appears to be.

Thanks in advance!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.95fd012644fd678210d155b85b952e34.jpg2.thumb.jpg.a43f6146bd4382bd29120038adf70464.jpg

The stain on the back cover would be the worst issue …. near the staple. 8.0 would be about as high as I would expect.... maybe less. They're hard on that sort of thing. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I had experienced this before. I found about 55 books are neatly stacked up in a box but it went unmoved or untouched over years in the attic where the heat came in. It stood against the ceiling where the sun sizzled at.  Most books were in VF to VF/NM condition HOWEVER first 25 books that were toppled have brittle spines as same as your. About ten of them have suffered with full length of split on spines or detached covers.  Some survived and got graded at about 6.0 to 7.5. The rest are pretty good.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

I had experienced this before. I found about 55 books are neatly stacked up in a box but it went unmoved or untouched over years in the attic where the heat came in. It stood against the ceiling where the sun sizzled at.  Most books were in VF to VF/NM condition HOWEVER first 25 books that were toppled have brittle spines as same as your. About ten of them have suffered with full length of split on spines or detached covers.  Some survived and got graded at about 6.0 to 7.5. The rest are pretty good.

I bought a box of comics sight unseen from my brother in law, an estate attorney whose client owned them. A fair amount of them have this discoloration. I’d agree with the 6.0 to 7.5 being the ceiling, maybe 8.0 under optimal circumstances. When I’m selling them raw on eBay, I don’t go higher than VF-. FWIW.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I bought a box of comics sight unseen from my brother in law, an estate attorney whose client owned them. A fair amount of them have this discoloration. I’d agree with the 6.0 to 7.5 being the ceiling, maybe 8.0 under optimal circumstances. When I’m selling them raw on eBay, I don’t go higher than VF-. FWIW.

Nice.

15 hours ago, ftlepore said:

Interested in picking this up. It looks great, but it does have some discoloration at the bottom left. Just curious how much this would affect the grade considering how good of shape the rest of the book appears to be.

Thanks in advance!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.95fd012644fd678210d155b85b952e34.jpg2.thumb.jpg.a43f6146bd4382bd29120038adf70464.jpg

There's probably tanning to the inside cover and pages. It will get hammered. I would not buy this book. 

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

There's probably tanning to the inside cover and pages. It will get hammered. I would not buy this book. 

You never know what people will buy. From the same box I mentioned earlier, I had an ASM 31 with a tear all the way across the front, and an ASM 39 with massive visible water stains front and back. Both got around $100. I was pleasantly surprised. :takeit:

Edited by oldrover

On 12/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

+1  The book looks tanned like a stack of newspapers in a hot garage.