• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pep Comics #41 / Atomic Comics #2 Swipe!

8 posts in this topic

Checking out a recent fleebay auction, I bumped into something that looked familiar. I saw this single page from Pep #41. I thought it looked familiar and went through my books until I found this. Direct swipe. I don't have a Pep #41 so I can't compare the stories but looks fishy... Was Atomic Comics affiliated with MLJ in some way?

s-l1600.jpg

comatomic2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Checking out a recent fleebay auction, I bumped into something that looked familiar. I saw this single page from Pep #41. I thought it looked familiar and went through my books until I found this. Direct swipe. I don't have a Pep #41 so I can't compare the stories but looks fishy... Was Atomic Comics affiliated with MLJ in some way?

s-l1600.jpg

comatomic2.jpg

Interesting find.  About as straight a swipe as you'll ever see, although they certainly made the factory more interesting:  From Yarmouth Ice and Storage, Co. to the Manhattan Project!

Interesting find i think quite a few of them back then worked hand in hand to put books out.I know Chesler worked with early MLJ and Harry had a hand in St.John and many more companies back then.That is a great piece of art so i see why someone would use it again.I find it amazing that we learn things everyday in this hobby or see books never seen before . :smile: 

Well remember Atomic 1 swiped cover from Tec 8, and also contained reprints from early More Fun stories.  So they have a pattern...  But Atomic was a weird series with not much coherence from issue to issue (other than some Baker art), and I can't find much info on the Publisher. 

In the same vein of swipes, I noticed mstrange had a Dynamic Comics 3 for sale, which has the below splash.  Which is also the cover to Bull's Eye Comics 11.  I believe those are both Chesler though so makes a little more sense.  

Dynamic Comics 3 splash.jpg

5 hours ago, mwotka said:

Well remember Atomic 1 swiped cover from Tec 8, and also contained reprints from early More Fun stories.  So they have a pattern...  But Atomic was a weird series with not much coherence from issue to issue (other than some Baker art), and I can't find much info on the Publisher. 

In the same vein of swipes, I noticed mstrange had a Dynamic Comics 3 for sale, which has the below splash.  Which is also the cover to Bull's Eye Comics 11.  I believe those are both Chesler though so makes a little more sense.  

Dynamic Comics 3 splash.jpg

Yeah, I can see a publisher swiping from it's self but these are clearly two different companies and it's a straight lift.

21 hours ago, mwotka said:

Per GCD, the Dynamic #3 Lady Satan story is reprinted in Bulls Eye #11, so the fact that they swiped the splash from that book isn't a surprise. 

Great discovery @Robot Man on the Pep splash! 

Now that we see a pattern... who wants to hunt for the images that make up the covers of Atomic #3 and #4?

Quite an interesting subject to research more about. It seems that Green Publishing mainly focused on reprinting older comics such as Fox’s Cosmo Cat, DC’s Radio Squad, and Archie’s Hangman, in addition to using swipes.

Going by one of their earliest comics listed under their name, they seemed to have been originally based in Chicago, using the colophon publisher of Burten Magazine Distributing Co. in Roly-Poly Comics #1 (1945):

aXovNGp.jpg

There’s also this ad from Roly-Poly Comics #15 (June, 1946), which lists Atomic Comics alongside some of Iger’s comics, and also shows a New York City address as opposed to a Chicago one:

NFunb0L.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro