• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a simple removal or restoration?

18 posts in this topic

I just received this Iron man #1 that I bought on ebay. The seller failed to note the felt marker in the item description. It was visible upon very close inspection of the photos on ebay but hard to see on a mobile device. I can return this book for a refund if I want. I'm new to CGC and the whole grading business and I'm looking for advice from the veterans on the forum here. So, as the title states is it a matter of simple removal or is it a restoration to get rid of the marker?1297963409_Ironman1.thumb.jpg.0895c12eef04a70e40df5f989afe3b7f.jpg

Edited by frozencanuck
Expanded on post

If its a grease pencil or felt tip it can't be removed (completely) without using restoration techniques.  In this case you'd want to leave it alone but it will count against the grade.  If the grease pencil/felt tip mark wasn't there it would probably be a 7.0, but with it I would think a 6.0/6.5.  So if the book was given any type of grade I would make sure its in that general area otherwise I would definitely return it.

Do you have the original photo you can share? I ask because I’ve sold some books with water stains, and while I didn’t specifically mention the stains on all the listings, you can clearly see the stains in the scans. IMHO if it was clearly visible on the listing, the seller disclosed it to you. OTOH, if the photo is not clear, like your scan is, then absolutely return it. :) 

7 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Do you have the original photo you can share? I ask because I’ve sold some books with water stains, and while I didn’t specifically mention the stains on all the listings, you can clearly see the stains in the scans. IMHO if it was clearly visible on the listing, the seller disclosed it to you. OTOH, if the photo is not clear, like your scan is, then absolutely return it. :) 

Here's one of the pictures. The seller seems to have  taken angled pictures to avoid obvious exposure of the defect. I was viewing this on a mobile device so it was hard for me to see it. 

Screenshot_20181203-105636_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 minutes ago, frozencanuck said:

Here's one of the pictures. The seller seems to have  taken angled pictures to avoid obvious exposure of the defect. I was viewing this on a mobile device so it was hard for me to see it. 

Screenshot_20181203-105636_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah. That’s a dishonest BS move. Return it. 

6 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Yeah, that's the listing. He notes such a high grade and then states that he's not a grader. If the seller is not a grader then don't put any kind of a grade. Especially a CGC type of grade.

I believe the writing in the ULH corner of front cover is the arrival date, 2-19.  If that is the case, given the book's grade, CGC probably would not count that against the book.  That is just my humble opinion.  There is alot out there written about arrival dates.  Following is a link to a thread from 2004 about arrive dates.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:00 PM, androolx said:

I believe the writing in the ULH corner of front cover is the arrival date, 2-19.  If that is the case, given the book's grade, CGC probably would not count that against the book.  That is just my humble opinion.  There is alot out there written about arrival dates.  Following is a link to a thread from 2004 about arrive dates.

I agree that it is a date the book was on the stands.  CGC won't penalize you for it, but, I doubt that book is a 9.4 or 9.6 even with a press.  I'd say 7.5 at best.

Edited by aszumilo

I support your decision to return this book to the seller; if you're not happy with it for any reason you certainly have that right.

With that said, the size and placement of the arrival date on this copy would very likely not keep the book out of the Very Fine range as long as the rest of the book is in Very Fine condition or better. I'd actually be more concerned about the rubbing/color loss at the top of the spine and the light wear to the edges of the cover. I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations, but I understand completely...

On December 3, 2018 at 12:46 PM, frozencanuck said:

20181203_114313.jpg

If it were me searching out an upgrade to this beauty, on eBay, I would be looking to purchase it already slabbed since there is too much margin for error buying a raw and hoping it hits higher at such a high grade. 

You may also want to put out a WTB add in the WTB section of the boards. I know there are some higher grade copies kicking around that have been for sale in the past...fyi