• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Does CGC Signature Series Affect the Value of a Comic?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I just became a member of CGC, and I have been reading the boards to make sure I got the hang of things. So, as my first two questions, I need some grading and valuation advice.

I sent a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #50, and it came back with a grade of 7.0 with a verified signature from Stan Lee (autograph thanks to Celestial Comics). I then sent this comic back to Celestial Comics to get it autographed by John Romita. It has now been signed and is now undergoing a pressing through CCS.

So, my first question is this. After these signatures and the pressing, should I expect to get another grade of 7.0, or should I expect a higher or lower grade?

My second question is this. How do these two verified signatures affect the value of the comic? My guess that the value of Amazing Spider-Man #50 is around $750, unsigned. If I was to sell this comic as soon as I receive it, I would assume that I should ask for more than $750. But how much more?

Thanks for your time and cooperation in answering my questions.

Joe

There's a service called GPA analysis (google it, its a paid service) that tells you the sold price history of CGC comics.  it doesn't distinguish between who signs a given comic, but since Stan is the only person likely to have signed ASM 50, it should provide you with a reasonable idea.

Generally, its pretty subjective on how much value is added by a sig.  Depends on the person, the comic, the grade, the way the sig looks, etc.  Generally a Stan sig will add value, but is it more value than the cost of getting the sig and the grading?  Depends.

Good luck. 

The answer is...it depends. Signature placement and quality will have some bearing on the desirability of the book. Also, having a Silver Age key signed will probably reduce your potential pool of buyers as there is a significant portion of buyers who don't like that sort of thing.

As for the grade...it also depends. Some flaws cannot be removed through pressing, and if the book was a 7.0 to begin with I'm betting many of those same flaws that led to that grade in the first place will still be there. So it could remain the same, get a slight bump, or even go down in grade. 

Good luck!

Edited by MadGenius

On 12/3/2018 at 10:33 AM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I just became a member of CGC, and I have been reading the boards to make sure I got the hang of things. So, as my first two questions, I need some grading and valuation advice.

I sent a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #50, and it came back with a grade of 7.0 with a verified signature from Stan Lee (autograph thanks to Celestial Comics). I then sent this comic back to Celestial Comics to get it autographed by John Romita. It has now been signed and is now undergoing a pressing through CCS.

So, my first question is this. After these signatures and the pressing, should I expect to get another grade of 7.0, or should I expect a higher or lower grade?

My second question is this. How do these two verified signatures affect the value of the comic? My guess that the value of Amazing Spider-Man #50 is around $750, unsigned. If I was to sell this comic as soon as I receive it, I would assume that I should ask for more than $750. But how much more?

Thanks for your time and cooperation in answering my questions.

Joe

Joe, asking us to predict the grade of your book, without even seeing it, is an impossible question to answer. Asking valuation questions is generally frowned upon here, with the consensus feeling you should do your own homework. It's sounds like you have a cool book. My advice would be to put it up in auction, don't try and guess at a fixed price.

Bob is right. The market is wonky because of Stan's death, there are not enough recent data points available on GPA, and the old data is just that, old.  I'm kind of flabbergasted that the OP has the wherewithal to get the thing signed and slabbed, twice, but can't just figure a price he is comfortable with and sell it. All these posts drip with the exact same paralyzing fear of leaving a tiny scrap of meat on that bone, heaven forfend!!!