• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

A lot of the remarks in the comments section are for Jackie Chan to direct or (gulp!) star, but... and I say this as a huge Jackie Chan fan of almost 30 years - as a star, he's WAY too old... and as a director.... uh no. Maybe as a supporting cast member, that'd be fantastic and certainly wouldn't hurt the prospects for success in Southeast Asia.

As someone who sees media in Southeast Asia on a daily basis, there is an amazing amount of talent out there.

Not Good.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/07/hey-marvel-studios-china-already-thinks-the-shang-chi-movie-is-racist/

Hey Marvel Studios, China already thinks the Shang Chi Movie is Racist

“MARVEL ‘INSULTS CHINA’ BY MAKING ITS FIRST ASIAN SUPERHERO FILM ABOUT SHANG CHI, A SON OF FU MANCHU”

5 hours ago, Oddball said:

Oh well, can’t please everyone. I do love the dramatic title though I would have preferred: 

MARVEL OFFENDS 1.4 BILLION PEOPLE BEFORE --script IS WRITTEN. WAR IMMINENT.

now that's a documentary/reality superhero movie I'd see. 

Well, this is definitely LONG OVERDUE as I have been saying for years now that Shang-Chi would make for an absolutely wonderful character for the MCU movies and easily adaptable.  :applause:

An absolute no-brainer for Marvel from my personal point of view and definitely a much better idea than Marvel trying to have a white washed Iron Fist attempting to do a movie based upon the Asian martial arts.  :facepalm:

Does anybody here have that very well done link to that trailer clip that a fan had done up for the Shang-Chi movie.  It was very well done in the dark moody Gulacy / Steranko style? 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, this is definitely LONG OVERDUE as I have been saying for years now that Shang-Chi would make for an absolutely wonderful character for the MCU movies and easily adaptable.  :applause:

An absolute no-brainer for Marvel from my personal point of view and definitely a much better idea than Marvel trying to have a white washed Iron Fist attempting to do a movie based upon the Asian martial arts.  :facepalm:

Does anybody here have that very well done link to that trailer clip that a fan had done up for the Shang-Chi movie.  It was very well done in the dark moody Gulacy / Steranko style? 

How is Iron Fist “white washed”? He’s a white character.

18 hours ago, Logan510 said:

How is Iron Fist “white washed”? He’s a white character.

Shang-Chi and Iron Fist were two of my essential buys as a kid. Great storytelling from Moench/Gulacy (I later discovered Steranko), and Claremont/Byrne. I know Chinese comic fans that will look forward to this hitting the big screen. Hope they get to see it. 

Marvel Studios will reportedly meet with Donnie Yen (Ip Man, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) and Ludi Lin (Power Rangers, Aquaman) for roles in Shang-Chi, according to That Hashtag Show.

Hashtag reports the Disney-owned studio is “interested” in meeting with Lin for the titular role of Shang-Chi, an expert martial artist and master of kung-fu whose physical prowess makes him one of the deadliest fighters in the Marvel Universe.

The site expects more names from Marvel’s search for its first Asian leading man to come out in later weeks.

Also being considered for an unidentified supporting role is Hong Kong icon Yen, who Marvel hopes to meet with soon — potentially for the role described as a “wise, old statesman.”

In December, Lin said he hopes to win the role and bring his martial arts background to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“It’s definitely something I want to do. To do an Asian-centric superhero. To tell that story. I mean ideally, I’d like to design my own superhero, make my own creation. But I think the Marvel world is pretty incredible as well,” Lin said in an interview when promoting Warner Bros.’ Aquaman.