• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Why does it seem like we keep moving into the direction of segregation?

This is gonna be stand-alone-ish, right? I won't need to watch any Disney+ shows to enjoy it? Hopefully that's the case.

Hmm, hasn't Hollywood been "whites only" for almost a century now? Or at least "separate but equal" when they started allowing minorities to star in their own movies in the 70's? If you're referring to the MCU, they did start off as "whites only" but only in the last half did we start to see any kind of forced desegragation. At least the whites were still at the front of the MCU bus and the black folks like Sam Wilson and James Rhodes were still at the back of the MCU bus. Don't worry, I think you can get by without having to hitch a ride on the All-Asian short bus.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Hmm, hasn't Hollywood been "whites only" for almost a century now? Or at least "separate but equal" when they started allowing minorities to star in their own movies in the 70's? If you're referring to the MCU, they did start off as "whites only" but only in the last half did we start to see any kind of forced desegragation. At least the whites were still at the front of the MCU bus and the black folks like Sam Wilson and James Rhodes were still at the back of the MCU bus. Don't worry, I think you can get by without having to hitch a ride on the All-Asian short bus.

Lmfao, no. James Rhodes and Nick Fury were in Iron Man. So were the "Ten Rings"

:eyeroll:

I know it really shouldn't surprise me, but every time you say something so wrong, I really am surprised.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

38 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

James Rhodes and Nick Fury were in Iron Man. So were the "Ten Rings"

Wait, was Nick Fury in Iron Man? Oh yeah, he hopped on the Marvel bus after the credits were done rolling. At least they let Fury drive the whites only bus for a few movies. James Rhodes has definitely had to sit at the back of the MCU bus for a while. I can't believe Kevin Feige is serious about giving these people their own movies or Disney Minus show. What is the world coming to?

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Wait, was Nick Fury in Iron Man? Oh yeah, he hopped on the Marvel bus after the credits were done rolling. At least they let Fury drive the whites only bus for a few movies. James Rhodes has definitely had to sit at the back of the MCU bus for a while. I can't believe Kevin Feige is serious about giving these people their own movies or Disney Minus show. What is the world coming to?

He definitely wasn't.

Iron Man 2 (the MCU's 3rd film) screen times:

• Tony Stark: 58 minutes
  • Ivan Vanko: 19 mins
  • Justin Hammer: 17 mins
  • James Rhodes: 16 mins
  • Pepper Potts: 16 mins

Rhodey is arguably as important as the villains and the main character's love interest. ;)

Don't double-down on being wrong!

51 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He definitely wasn't.

Iron Man 2 (the MCU's 3rd film) screen times:

• Tony Stark: 58 minutes
  • Ivan Vanko: 19 mins
  • Justin Hammer: 17 mins
  • James Rhodes: 16 mins
  • Pepper Potts: 16 mins

Rhodey is arguably as important as the villains and the main character's love interest. ;)

Don't double-down on being wrong!

Rhodes got to move up a few seats for the sequel, but he was still at the back of the Iron Man bus. Look, every white Marvel hero gets to have a minority best friend. Them's the rules. Tony Stark got Rhodes, Steve Rogers got Sam Wilson, Carol Danvers got Maria Rambeau, Peter Parker gets Ned Leeds etc. But best friends still ride in the back with the Hum-drum-vee.

Sam-Wilson-Falcon-and-Bucky-Barnes-Winter-Soldier.jpg.b42dcf3b9e4d711166e294ab1f22b105.jpg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Rhodes got to move up a few seats for the sequel, but he was still at the back of the Iron Man bus. Look, every white Marvel hero gets to have a minority best friend. Them's the rules. Tony Stark got Rhodes, Steve Rogers got Sam Wilson, Carol Danvers got Maria Rambeau, Peter Parker gets Ned Leeds etc. But best friends ride in the back with the Hum-drum-vee.

You're a hoot. Gonna invite you to my next bash.

There will be a lot of fun discussion after you leave...

:baiting:

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're a hoot. Gonna invite you to my next bash.

There will be a lot of fun discussion after you leave...

:baiting:

You mean like the last pre-lockdown party I attended (a Super Bowl party) where my argument with a bunch of people about Star Wars 9 somehow dominated the evening? I don't think anybody wants that.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You mean like the last pre-lockdown party I attended (a Super Bowl party) where my argument with a bunch of people about Star Wars 9 somehow dominated the evening? I don't think anybody wants that.

If you're arguing with multiple people, sometimes you have to agree to disagree. If you're arguing about something objective, in which the incorrect party will likely never change their mind despite your presented evidence, then you're wasting oxygen.

Like, for me, there's nothing you can say to make TLJ "good". I know that there's nothing that I can say to convince a certain spectrum of people who dislike BvS that it's good. There are fundamental opinions that drive these perceptions. TLJ violates fundamental continuity. That's a deal-breaker for me. Some people don't like a modern take on Superman, and some don't like TDKR, so those adaptations are deal-breakers for them.

Either way, Rhodey was front-and-center for Iron Man throughout the MCU. It is odd that he was seemingly unimportant in The Avengers, though. It was already jam-packed with greatness, so I can't complain. He got some recognition in Age of Ultron.

I would have loved to see Ben Kingsley back as Mandarin, or have a cameo where he passes the real Mandarin on the street, they look at each other for a sec, do a head nod to acknowledge, and then keep going. 

Edited by kimik