• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

Speaking of which...

Pearce, Kingsley Discuss "All Hail the King," Share New "Winter Soldier" Footage

Speaking about the Marvel One-Shot concept as a whole, Feige told the theatre that when it comes to making the shorts, "It really is about what's the idea, not, 'Oh, we have to add another feature on the Blu-ray.' It's an added bonus when you have someone like Drew and you get Sir Ben Kingsley to agree to appear in your short."

"It's amazing, and it doesn't happen often!" Feige agreed.

"It is quite weird to essentially have followed up one of the biggest movies of all time with a small student film," Pearce quipped.

"I missed Trevor -- I was worried about him!" Kingsley stated when asked why he agreed to come back to the role. "I visited him in rehab and told him there was going to be a sequel and he was like, 'Oh, that's wonderful. I'm really delighted,'" Kingsley continued, slipping into Trevor's drunk slur.

Chuckling when Pearce pointed out Feige allowed them to put Kingsley in a giant '80s wig "made of real Russian hair" and film a monkey drinking vodka for the short, Feige added, "The whole purpose of Trevor is to go off the rails!"

That would be great if Feige got Ben Kingsley to show up to address Mandarin grabbing Trevor from prison. To close the books on that chapter.

The trailer is fantastic I've watched it 3 or 4 times already. It totally captures the Hong Kong action film vibe by way of the Marvel Universe, Tony Leung as the Mandarin is perfect (the classic costume :cloud9:) , Simu Liu and Awkwafina together are comedy gold, the set pieces and fight choreography are excellent. If anybody thinks this isn't going to be amazing you might want to do a double take. I can't wait for the Oscars to be over so we can get the trailer for Eternals because I think phase 4 is gonna swing for the fences.

No attachment to the character since my only exposure has always been that he would occasionally cross over into Spider-Man comics, and when I did see him I (correctly) assumed he was a Marvel rip-off of Bruce Lee which means I was never all that excited when he did cross over.  Movie looks decent from the trailer, definitely looks worth watching as long as the reviews are at least mixed.

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I chalk it up to this is a teaser trailer. It doesn't need to go into all the details yet.

And I'd rather it not have much details as otherwise the concern is they have revealed too much in advance.

Yea there's definitely a lot more going on than they let on here. I mean with the toy leaks the presence of "dragons" and whatever mythical creature Morris is in modern day adds quite a bit. The Mandarins ten rings (the bracelets with the glowy stuff in the trailer) seem like alien tech rather mystical artifacts, so I think they're gonna stick with the fact that the dragons are shape shifting aliens and they'll make the ten rings their's like in the comics and the Mandarin probably steals them when they first land on Earth, or maybe it has to do with that ancient battle with the lions.

I think there's also some subtler hints like the fact that Shang Chi has been gone for 10 years. If the current timeline holds up it's 2023 in the trailer meaning he's been gone since 2013 which is when the events of Iron Man 3 and all the fake Mandarin stuff took place. My guess would be after Trevor Slattery is abducted in All Hail the King he's brought to the Madarin and he tasks Shang Chi with killing him to preserve their honor, but he refuses and leaves or you know something along those lines.

20 minutes ago, D84 said:

From the poster to the trailer, Marvel is really becoming stale/generic. It's all blending together into more of the same.

How so? Can you point out other characters using martial arts within the MCU aside from Iron Fist?

I'm sure it will do well in China since they seem to have no infections & have kept their theaters open without many issues, but I'm not sure about other countries.

So I'm getting a Lion King Simba/prodigal son type of story vibe where Shang Chi was allowed to live his own life outside royalty and lived that life as a s**thead living in San Francisco and now 10 years later must face who he really is for better or worse and becomes a super-hero.

Looks like the movie will open similar to Thor with a telling of an epic tale from China's past complete with hulk Chow Chows. With the exception of the epic Chinese sequence, the film footage so far looks very analog (as in lacking digital effects). I wonder if this trailer is more the "meet Shang Chi the person" trailer and we'll get the crazy special effects trailer next time.

2 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

Yea there's definitely a lot more going on than they let on here. I mean with the toy leaks the presence of "dragons" and whatever mythical creature Morris is in modern day adds quite a bit. The Mandarins ten rings (the bracelets with the glowy stuff in the trailer) seem like alien tech rather mystical artifacts, so I think they're gonna stick with the fact that the dragons are shape shifting aliens and they'll make the ten rings their's like in the comics and the Mandarin probably steals them when they first land on Earth, or maybe it has to do with that ancient battle with the lions.

I think there's also some subtler hints like the fact that Shang Chi has been gone for 10 years. If the current timeline holds up it's 2023 in the trailer meaning he's been gone since 2013 which is when the events of Iron Man 3 and all the fake Mandarin stuff took place. My guess would be after Trevor Slattery is abducted in All Hail the King he's brought to the Madarin and he tasks Shang Chi with killing him to preserve their honor, but he refuses and leaves or you know something along those lines.

Even if you watch close enough there appears to be Chinese guardian lions. One scene you see two of them moving behind the crowd and then you see the guy jumping and one is right alongside him.

Shangchi_lion2.JPG.e48f65d47709e501cec28fdc9dbe3562.JPG

Shangchi_lion.JPG.2cacff848f04c7e65a9680d0b5190dc3.JPG

It's either going to be a dream sequence or this movie is going full martial arts wild with battle scenes like something out of The Forbidden Kingdom.

220px-ForbiddenKingdomPoster.jpg.c5a0a7a930f0d8f4af8a65dc67afebfa.jpg

Edited by Bosco685