• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So I'm getting a Lion King Simba/prodigal son type of story vibe where Shang Chi was allowed to live his own life outside royalty and lived that life as a s**thead living in San Francisco and now 10 years later must face who he really is for better or worse and becomes a super-hero.

Looks like the movie will open similar to Thor with a telling of an epic tale from China's past complete with hulk Chow Chows. With the exception of the epic Chinese sequence, the film footage so far looks very analog (as in lacking digital effects). I wonder if this trailer is more the "meet Shang Chi the person" trailer and we'll get the crazy special effects trailer next time.

That's a bit of a generic comparison. There are sequences of him being trained through his youth & it's not uncommon to want some independence from the heavy burden of family obligations as you get older. If you were brought up in a family of crime lords or heroes, anyone would likely want that breathing room when the appropriate moment presents itself. Lacking CGI isn't a deal breaker in my opinion either, otherwise most movies & shows wouldn't be worth any consideration. Seems like some people are too desensitized to go without it though.

3 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

How so? Can you point out other characters using martial arts within the MCU aside from Iron Fist?

I'm sure it will do well in China since they seem to have no infections & have kept their theaters open without many issues, but I'm not sure about other countries.

Correction: generic look and feel, now with martial arts.

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

That's a bit of a generic comparison. There are sequences of him being trained through his youth & it's not uncommon to want some independence from the heavy burden of family obligations as you get older. If you were brought up in a family of crime lords or heroes, anyone would likely want that breathing room when the appropriate moment presents itself. Lacking CGI isn't a deal breaker in my opinion either, otherwise most movies & shows wouldn't be worth any consideration. Seems like some people are too desensitized to go without it though.

This is Disney at its finest. It has people, music, cars, helicopters, fishes and air. Water too. And wind. Classic Disney! :banana:

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Little underwhelming but I'll still see it.  

I agree its hard for me to get excited as I never liked this character. 
It was D list comic book that I hated finding in the bins. I think for some
this will be really inspirational though and Marvel will reach new fans.

9 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Trailer took me back to the old Shaw Bros movies I grew up with on saturday afternoons. I'll definitely be watching this one when it releases

+1. Pure Run Run Shaw Bros., as Fu Manchu actor seems to have barely aged since his 1974 movies. Then again, Fu Manchu supposed to age slowly per Marvel. Can't comment on the Sax Rohmer yellow peril hard cover books that I have but never read.

4 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

To be more specific then, it very much seems to me (taking clues from the trailer which I've watched multiple times since it got posted here) that Shang Chi is taking its story cues from Thor, not just the movie but the comics. Shang Chi very much appears to be a lost prince (or a prodigal son) living amongst the commoners and is now called back to the Homeland to take up some kind of mantle. But unlike Thor, it appears to be an evil mantle as his father/mentor, or whoever Tony Leung is playing, seems to have evil plans for him. I'm wondering if Shang Chi somehow has no memory of his heritage, like Thor or Carol Danvers, while he's living life as a valet in San Francisco.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I wasn't a big fan of the comic, but I think this will be one of those times were the film transcends the source material.

Agreed, never heard of him before they announced the movie to be honest. But Kung Fu + Bloodsport (movie template) + Feige + Marvel = Must be good :ohnoez:

55 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

To be more specific then, it very much seems to me (taking clues from the trailer which I've watched multiple times since it got posted here) that Shang Chi is taking its story cues from Thor, not just the movie but the comics. Shang Chi very much appears to be a lost prince (or a prodigal son) living amongst the commoners and is now called back to the Homeland to take up some kind of mantle. But unlike Thor, it appears to be an evil mantle as his father/mentor, or whoever Tony Leung is playing, seems to have evil plans for him. I'm wondering if Shang Chi somehow has no memory of his heritage, like Thor or Carol Danvers, while he's living life as a valet in San Francisco.

You are over analyzing it :baiting:

4 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

90% of the trailer are most likely misdirects...

Maybe he's operating undercover in the trailer scene where he's obviously a valet, but we'll see. Something just tells me that since Shang Chi is kind of a MCU ambassador to China, that Marvel/Disney is being a little more up front with this film and not trying to fool people into thinking it's something other than what they're giving us in preview trailers.