• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Honestly, her inclusion may stop me from watching it. I can't :censored:ing stand her existence.

I wouldn't let her bother you like that. She's probably limited to a few scenes.

Meanwhile, she has hair, eyes and nose. Classic Disney! :banana:

I remember not being so enthused when Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange were announced and going to see both with lukewarm expectations. Those turned out to be my favorites of the mcu so I trust that regardless of how flashy the trailers may/may not be, I’ll be thoroughly entertained by what I see on the big screen

18 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

To be more specific then, it very much seems to me (taking clues from the trailer which I've watched multiple times since it got posted here) that Shang Chi is taking its story cues from Thor, not just the movie but the comics. Shang Chi very much appears to be a lost prince (or a prodigal son) living amongst the commoners and is now called back to the Homeland to take up some kind of mantle. But unlike Thor, it appears to be an evil mantle as his father/mentor, or whoever Tony Leung is playing, seems to have evil plans for him. I'm wondering if Shang Chi somehow has no memory of his heritage, like Thor or Carol Danvers, while he's living life as a valet in San Francisco.

21 hours ago, D84 said:

Correction: generic look and feel, now with martial arts.

Buddha was a sheltered prince that left His kingdom after seeing how the outside world was treated & decided to look for spiritual enlightenment to share with & save others. Every story has an origin, so nothing is truly unique. I guess nothing is worth watching.:shy:

I'm reasonably excited because I think Simu Liu is great for the part and I sense an almost Jackie Chan-level of moxie for the film itself. 

But I'd give the trailer a 'B-' or so...some of the effects were wonky and the final joke didn't land.  It has promise, but feels a bit bland thus far.

Dan

Because my opinion matters:

Never been a follower of martial arts related media so this flies way over my head.  Besides the 'kung fu' aspect, I know absolutely nothing about Shang-Chi and won't claim too; admittedly even my knowledge of the Mandarin is shaky, at best.

However with an objective mind, this looks candidly boring - 80's kung fu nostalgia homogenized with MCU theatrics.  No thanks, I'm good.

Edited by sagekilz

Seriously speaking, I re-watched the trailer again and am a little disappointed they might have dived too deep into the mystical side with this movie.  As a big fan of the early Paul Gulacy run, I was hoping they'd have a more grounded and "James Bond" feel to the story like in those early, iconic issues from the '70s.  

11 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Seriously speaking, I re-watched the trailer again and am a little disappointed they might have dived too deep into the mystical side with this movie.  As a big fan of the early Paul Gulacy run, I was hoping they'd have a more grounded and "James Bond" feel to the story like in those early, iconic issues from the '70s.  

Yep.

56 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

But we're getting a James Bond movie already with Black Widow. Marvel always changes up its "genres" within its Phases. Chi energy has become a kind of magic force of its own in the Marvel Comics recently, so exploring that aspect of Shang Chi's story as a martial arts fantasy, which many 70's kung fu films were anyway, will be a unique approach for the MCU despite some folks here saying it looks like more of the same.

The director, Destin Daniel Cretton, is a good filmmaker (see Just Mercy) so I'm expecting not only a decent action movie, but a strong character piece.

New toys for Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings confirm how the MCU is changing the Mandarin's infamous Ten Rings of Power.

New toys for Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings confirm how the MCU is changing the Mandarin's Ten Rings of Power. Shang-Chi was officially announced at Comic-Con in 2019 and was expected to arrive earlier this year. However, when the coronavirus pandemic forced a reshuffling of the release calendar, the film was pushed back considerably. Currently, Shang-Chi is scheduled for September. Marvel has just begun to properly promote the movie, with the first Shang-Chi trailer and images debuting online earlier this week.

Up until the trailer release, little was known about Shang-Chi save what could be gleaned from leaked information. Now, several new details have been revealed, including things about the main villain Wenwu, aka the Mandarin (Tony Leung). In the movie, the Mandarin is Shang-Chi's (Simu Liu) father, taking over from the comics' Fu Manchu. The Mandarin is known to have ten rings which give him various powers. However, the first Shang-Chi trailer appeared to adjust these artifacts, instead turning them into arm bands. They only received a quick glimpse, but that was enough to raise some questions.

Shang-Chi-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings-blaster.jpg.b88ba5a237864082ed3e7af15e0f94ec.jpg

Shang-Chi-Wenwu-6-inch-figure-Ten-Ring-arm-bands.jpg.7352b9f522c726db1bce74065606fef2.jpg

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

But we're getting a James Bond movie already with Black Widow. Marvel always changes up its "genres" within its Phases. Chi energy has become a kind of magic force of its own in the Marvel Comics recently, so exploring that aspect of Shang Chi's story as a martial arts fantasy, which many 70's kung fu films were anyway, will be a unique approach for the MCU despite some folks here saying it looks like more of the same.

The director, Destin Daniel Cretton, is a good filmmaker (see Just Mercy) so I'm expecting not only a decent action movie, but a strong character piece.

Chi is basically life force, similar to the force in Star Wars. I've seen monks manipulate their forces (yin/yang, positive/negative, male/female) to create electric charges, increase the density of their punches or weight & do mystical things like passing one solid object through another. It's called Prana in Sanskrit, which is what Nikola Tesla called electricity & he understood it well enough to patent so many futuristic inventions that have yet to reach the market due to corporate greed. We could have had electric cars 100 years ago.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Shang-Chi-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings-blaster.jpg.b88ba5a237864082ed3e7af15e0f94ec.jpg

Shang-Chi-Wenwu-6-inch-figure-Ten-Ring-arm-bands.jpg.7352b9f522c726db1bce74065606fef2.jpg

These look more like Chakras from Sanskrit texts than rings. The rings should emit different density laser beams in accordance to the strength of energy passing through the gems embedded in them.

56 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Chi is basically life force, similar to the force in Star Wars. I've seen monks manipulate their forces (yin/yang, positive/negative, male/female) to create electric charges, increase the density of their punches or weight & do mystical things like passing one solid object through another. It's called Prana in Sanskrit, which is what Nikola Tesla called electricity & he understood it well enough to patent so many futuristic inventions that have yet to reach the market due to corporate greed. We could have had electric cars 100 years ago.

These look more like Chakras from Sanskrit texts than rings. The rings should emit different density laser beams in accordance to the strength of energy passing through the gems embedded in them.

0FD45CAF-142E-4920-B9C9-289D84988D5E.thumb.jpeg.3c7560f1cdd89b7f4f5127e012ba7b20.jpeg
Yeah, looks like the rings are more like bracelets.

1 hour ago, Gruson said:

I’ll see it of course but the trailer didn’t excite me too much. Didn’t feel very Marvel and looked like a wannabe Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon. Expected more for sure. 

I suspect the epic China historical battle sequence you're seeing in the trailer is just a flashback sequence that gives us a little history to Shang Chi's world, like what you saw at the beginning of Thor or Black Panther. The rest of the movie appears to be very much set in the present day, complete with karaoke bars and city buses.

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Personally, I don't see the need to reinvent the rings as bracelets...what's wrong with rings?

They seem like bracelets only to the perspective of a small human creature, but are ring sized for those who originally designed them... Fin Fang Foom!!!!

Edited by Sauce Dog

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Personally, I don't see the need to reinvent the rings as bracelets...what's wrong with rings?

So I think the most reasonable explanation is the rings like in the comics were made by the Makluan race (Fin Fang Foom) so to fit on a dragons claw they'd apparently be the size of a person's wrist

56 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

So I think the most reasonable explanation is the rings like in the comics were made by the Makluan race (Fin Fang Foom) so to fit on a dragons claw they'd apparently be the size of a person's wrist

Although I recognize some will celebrate such changes as masterful but then with altering comic book history ('X-Men' to 'Mutants' so as to supposedly honor Stan Lee), the rings are very interesting. Each serves a purpose in the source material.

10rings.thumb.JPG.2461dd32d0bf2cd79867bdc315e83242.JPG

I wonder if they will honor that in the movie via the arm rings?