• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I recognize some will celebrate such changes as masterful but then with altering comic book history ('X-Men' to 'Mutants' so as to supposedly honor Stan Lee), the rings are very interesting. Each serves a purpose in the source material.

10rings.thumb.JPG.2461dd32d0bf2cd79867bdc315e83242.JPG

I wonder if they will honor that in the movie via the arm rings?

They seem to be used for water manipulation from what I can tell from the toy leaks, which could make more sense given the scene in the trailer with the floating water. They may have more powers we haven't seen or maybe the Mandarin hasn't unlocked how to use them yet. There's also some Funko pops that they just showed off and I'm not sure if one is Shang Chi using a kick to manipulate water or if it's just a whoosh effect.

2 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

They seem to be used for water manipulation from what I can tell from the toy leaks, which could make more sense given the scene in the trailer with the floating water. They may have more powers we haven't seen or maybe the Mandarin hasn't unlocked how to use them yet. There's also some Funko pops that they just showed off and I'm not sure if one is Shang Chi using a kick to manipulate water or if it's just a whoosh effect.

It is crazy at times how much we get insight into through these early toy and merchandising reveals.

I wonder if part of the concern with the multi-colored rings is the general audience may assume this was too much like the Infinity Gauntlet and the MCU was continuing to use that influence. Though its a bummer if the MCU loses that source material influence.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is crazy at times how much we get insight into through these early toy and merchandising reveals.

I wonder if part of the concern with the multi-colored rings is the general audience may assume this was too much like the Infinity Gauntlet and the MCU was continuing to use that influence. Though its a bummer if the MCU loses that source material influence.

They could be a single color and still have multiple powers but that does seem possible they wouldn't want to muddle the various alien weapons together. Wenwu's battle costume is also a deep blue color so clearly the blue has some kind of meaning here. (Funkos for reference)

52880-pop-shangchi-wenwu-glam-web-1265318.jpeg

52874-pop-shangchi-shangchi-glam-web-1265325.jpeg

34 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

They could be a single color and still have multiple powers but that does seem possible they wouldn't want to muddle the various alien weapons together. Wenwu's battle costume is also a deep blue color so clearly the blue has some kind of meaning here. (Funkos for reference)

52880-pop-shangchi-wenwu-glam-web-1265318.jpeg

52874-pop-shangchi-shangchi-glam-web-1265325.jpeg

trying to get gum unstuck from his shoe?

59 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

If you watch the trailer, in what appears to be a flashback scene of Shang Chi as a youth, when he punches somebody, blue radiation is emitted similar to Wanda radiating red Chaos energy when she uses her power. I'm assuming this blue radiation is a visualization of Shang Chi summoning Chi energy when he strikes someone with his special power.

11 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Personally, I don't see the need to reinvent the rings as bracelets...what's wrong with rings?

Maybe the fact that Marvel showed how to manipulate laser beams 50+ years ago like we do in present day technology touches a bit too close to reality. I didn't like how they changed the Vultures gear, when it was suppose to be anti gravity technology related to magnetism & frequency. There's a new TV show called Debris about an alien spaceship that shattered on earth & creates all kinds of electromagnetic anomalies like the Bermuda triangle & shows a lot of mystical things that people will think is great science fiction, but there's a lot or reality in the fiction we watch.

IMG_3685.JPG

Speaking of rings, the ten rings in this movie are actual physical ten rings, right? In the 2018 Ironheart series, Riri Williams had to deal with a secret organization called the Ten Rings. I'm sure they're not related at all, but kinda strange that Marvel would use the same phrase. Does anyone know if there was a ten rings storyline in the 1970's Master of Kung Fu series?

9 minutes ago, comixry said:

Speaking of rings, the ten rings in this movie are actual physical ten rings, right? In the 2018 Ironheart series, Riri Williams had to deal with a secret organization called the Ten Rings. I'm sure they're not related at all, but kinda strange that Marvel would use the same phrase. Does anyone know if there was a ten rings storyline in the 1970's Master of Kung Fu series?

The Ten Rings in the MCU are a global terrorist organization dating all the way back to Iron Man 1 when they were working with Obadiah Stane to kill Tony Stark. The Ten Rings are also physical items Shang Chi's father, Wenwu/The Mandarin, possesses and where he draws his power from as he is the head of the Ten Rings group. In the 1970s Shang Chi's father was Fu Man Chu and not the Mandarin so the Ten Rings weren't really part of his story.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

theres only one reason this movie is being made, let's not kid ourselves

The timing of it is certainly interesting.  You have the successful "Karate Kid" series which is now followed by the reboot/modernization of "Kung-Fu"  All 3 happening in a short period of time.  In any event I'm not sure if the movie is going to rekindle the kung-fu hysteria of the 70s.  But stranger things have happened....I guess...haha.

8 minutes ago, mcribar said:

The timing of it is certainly interesting.  You have the successful "Karate Kid" series which is now followed by the reboot/modernization of "Kung-Fu"  All 3 happening in a short period of time.  In any event I'm not sure if the movie is going to rekindle the kung-fu hysteria of the 70s.  But stranger things have happened....I guess...haha.

Alright everyone, let's have Carl Douglas' Kung Fu Fighting song stuck in our heads for the rest of the day because you know, everybody was kung fu fighting, those cats were fast as lightning....

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

And bam, there it is.

And lets not forget the REAL kung-fu hero of the 70s....................

Hong Kong phooey, the number one super guy
Hong Kong phooey, quicker than the human eye
Oh, he's got style, a groovy smile, a bod that just won't stop
When the going gets rough, he's super tough
With the Hong Kong phooey chop

Marvel Studios recently revealed the trailer for one of their next upcoming MCU blockbusters, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. The new film will mark something of a change for Disney’s roster of superheroes, and it will in fact have more of an emphasis on martial arts. While many have been excited for the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe project, it looks like China has been less than enthused. In fact, it appears that the Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings trailer has actually received outright negative criticism in the country of China.

This was revealed via Reddit user u/alanjinqq, where they shared statistics for the trailer on both the MarvelTW and Marvel Studios Hong Kong YouTube accounts. As they pointed out, the statistics for the Shang-Chi trailer have gathered some rather negative criticism. It seems that 1,600 viewers out of the total 3,400 on the Taiwan account actually disliked the video. Similarly, 600 of the 1,022 viewers also negatively reacted to the new trailer. If you take these numbers into percentages, that means a 53% and 42% approval rating, respectively. And, comparing to some other Marvel trailers on the accounts like the Black Widow trailer, those are some rather low numbers.

According to some of the comments, however, it looks like these users were upset that it was something of a Chinese film being made by “westerners.” They also have issues with actor Simu Liu, who has interestingly been targeted recently by cancel culture for a controversial tweet from 2012 that popped up in light of the new trailer. Of course, things are just getting started regarding the promotional campaign for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – so hopefully things will smooth out on that front sooner rather than later.

Shang_Chi01.JPG.05fcc0be03280dcea964f8d645a49ff3.JPG

8 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Taiwan not liking something Chinese related.  Is this shocking?  They don't exactly get along.

According to some of the comments, however, it looks like these users were upset that it was something of a Chinese film being made by “westerners.”

Was that Taiwanese contributors commenting on China?