• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

I think there is a lot of reason to bring this out.

foremost the Midas brand touch of marvel studios. 
first comic movie to focus on karate/action genre

huge draw from recently expanded Chinese box office.

crazy rich Asians and black panther and captain marvel$$ success, show that variety and targeting specific groups can bring significant dollars.

shang chi is one of the closest titles, to a real cinematic film I can recall (of course it was influenced by Bruce lee and James Bond)

marvel special edition 15 is one of my favorite single issues, story content wise

bring him on!

Edited by bronze_rules

New Shang-Chi Casting Call Could Prove Old Rumors Correct

In a matter of weeks, principal photography on Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will begin in Australia ahead of its release in February 2021. Little is known about the film's plot other than the inclusion of the fabled Ten Rings organization and the comic-accurate version of The Mandarin (Tony Leung). Then comes along a new casting breakdown that could potentially bring some truth to a plot leak that surfaced earlier this year. Scoop maestro Charles Murphy posted Monday evening Shang-Chi was currently casting for ringside announcers.

It might seem like a pretty small deal at the moment, until you take one popular plot rumor that surfaced months ago into account. The "leak" — which has now been scrubbed from existence, essentially suggested Shang-Chi (Simu Liu) would be forced to go through a fighting tournament to get into the good graces of The Mandarin before flipping on the villain before the movie is done and over.

Though it's far from a confirmation, the "Ringside Announcer" casting grids would seem to suggest that at least some kind of fight is happening, whether it be the aforementioned tournament or a side fight of sorts.

Liu himself has been outspoken since being cast in the role, something he's taken great pride in. In one recent interview, the new MCU star made sure to quote Stan Lee's iconic "great power" line.

“To take a quote from Stan Lee, the legend himself, ‘With great power there must also come great responsibility’. But I think the reason I have the platform I do is because I’ve leaned into my Asianness," Liu explained. "If you are going to ask an entire population to support you, to rally behind you and give you a platform, I won’t shy away from that responsibility. I feel like we’ve been shying away from it as people for too long, especially the children of immigrants who are taught to keep their heads down. We have reached the limit of that philosophy.”

Is there reason to think that Chinese audiences will actually like Shang-Chi?  He's CLEARLY a part of the wave of "Bruceploitation" characters who spawned immediately after Bruce Lee's death, and many of the depictions of Shang-Chi in comics seem to use photographs of Bruce Lee for his likeness.  The fact that he was Fu Manchu's son in the comics is double-cringeworthy, and it's no surprise that Chinese audiences would have active reason to dislike him because of that alone aside from the Bruce Lee ripoff element.  I'm guessing that Marvel ditched Fu Manchu as a part of Shang-Chi's design at some point though, and there's NO way he'll ever be mentioned seriously in the film.  So will Chinese people enjoy this, or will they reject it as crude cultural appropriation by the West?

I know almost nothing about the character.  I believe the only time I read him growing up was when he crossed over into a Spidey title.  I was generally interested in him, but even as a kid he seemed like an unoriginal Bruce Lee ripoff.  But that's all subjective opinion without ever reading his titles, so for all I know he grew past his origin as a Bruce Lee clone and became fantastic at some point.

Edited by fantastic_four

SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS Reportedly Looking To Cast A Mysterious Crime Boss

173267.jpg

With shooting currently taking place on Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, it now sounds like Marvel Studios is looking to fill out the cast of the movie with even more supporting roles. 

According to PoC Culture, a "Boss" is being cast who is described as being a Chinese male between the ages of 40 - 60. He's the leader of a crime organisation and described as being charismatic, dangerous and quietly imposing. This actor will also need to be able to speak Mandarin fluently.

In the comics, Shang-Chi's father (who will be The Mandarin in this movie) often enlisted pawns to try and take his son down, so this mysterious "Boss" is more than likely one of those people.

We've previously heard reports that Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will include some sort of fighting tournament, so perhaps this character will tie into that in some way. Right now, though, the movie is shrouded in secrecy, and we probably won't get any sort of first look until the end of the year at the soonest. However, it's possible that something will be revealed at Comic-Con!

So, is Shang Chi going to be a funny MCU film or something? This Simu Liu guy seems to be a bit of a clown. Throw Awkwafina into the mix and it seems it’s heading  that way.

Destin Daniel Cretton isn’t a comedy director it seems, so we’ll see.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Shang-Chi star Simu Liu would happily join a Star Wars movie, and he already knows exactly what character he'd like to play: A Gray Jedi.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings star Simu Liu wants to play a Gray Jedi in a future Star Wars movie. Liu, previously best known for his role on the Canadian sitcom Kim's Convenience, was cast last year as one of Marvel's newest heroes, kung fu master Shang-Chi. He'll make his MCU debut in Shang-Chi in May 2021 following the movie's delay from February 2021. That delay, while disappointing for some, officially makes Liu a summer movie star, and he couldn't be more excited. From that point on, Liu's Shang-Chi is expected to play a vital role in the MCU, though his next project has yet to be revealed.

Much like other major movie and television productions, Shang-Chi found itself shut down by the coronavirus pandemic back in March. Director Destin Daniel Cretton was tested for the disease, and though he came back negative, production remained shut down for several months. Recent reports revealed Shang-Chi is aiming to resume filming by the end of July, which will hopefully prevent it from enduring any further delays.

Liu recently appeared on Gary Whitta's Animal Talking show, where he discussed his future career goals. Liu has one dream role in mind: Star Wars."I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, I definitely want to be in the Star Wars universe," Liu declared. When it comes to what kind of character he would like to play, it turns out Liu already has that worked out. "Gray Jedi," Liu explained. "Neither Jedi nor Sith." In Star Wars lore, a Gray Jedi is known as someone who walks the line between light and dark sides of the Force, and who typically distances themselves from the Jedi Order.

Liu mentions in the interview that there is "so much to mine" when it comes to Gray Jedis, and he makes an excellent point. With the Star Wars franchise shifting away from the Skywalker saga, the hope among fans is that new stories and concepts can be explored in future projects. Exactly what the next Star Wars movie will be about is unknown, but it will be directed by Liu's fellow Marvel star, Taika Waititi.