• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade my Archie 12

24 posts in this topic

Thanks for looking over my X-Men 1 but let's look at this one now...Archie 12. Not too much to show on this, no spine splits, cover fully attached and book is complete. But look at that tanning/staining. So what do youze guyz and gals think the grade is, both now and after a press. There are some creases in the cover that would press out beautifully but in my quest to learn more about grading I offer it up here for consideration.

DthVX4PVsAAkyiM.jpgDthVX5hUUAA8R-K.jpgDthVX4OUUAA02mG.jpg

Would any of that clean off do y'all suppose? In any event she's a beauty to me!

Edited by Bird

50 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Does the stain go through the book and how are the staples?

Staples are firmly attached and no rust or issues. I will check and get back to you about the extent of the staining but if it was significant when I checked the staples I would have photographed it. Again, I will get back to it hopefully soon. Thanks!

See how this helps me. I was thinking 4.0 or 4.5 or so, so this helps. But I just look at the book and my brain says "hmm about x.x" rather than actually tally defects or such.

18 minutes ago, Bird said:

Staples are firmly attached and no rust or issues. I will check and get back to you about the extent of the staining but if it was significant when I checked the staples I would have photographed it. Again, I will get back to it hopefully soon. Thanks!

See how this helps me. I was thinking 4.0 or 4.5 or so, so this helps. But I just look at the book and my brain says "hmm about x.x" rather than actually tally defects or such.

Barring the stain traversing the entire book, I suspect the stain may be a little mouldy. How does it smell? Whether or not the stain can be cleaned up a bit I do not know. If it cannot, it is not worth pressing in my opinion. 

I think it would look great in a slab. As is, I'm at 3.5.

Nice book Bird!

13 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Barring the stain traversing the entire book, I suspect the stain may be a little mouldy. How does it smell? Whether or not the stain can be cleaned up a bit I do not know. If it cannot, it is not worth pressing in my opinion. 

I think it would look great in a slab. As is, I'm at 3.5.

Nice book Bird!

I did not notice any foulness in the smelling portion of the inspection.

I’d send the photo, if not the book, to somebody who might be able to clean it. It’s a 4.5 (EDIT: or higher!) if you can get it clean. Otherwise... man, I have no idea. I guess GVG, but that’s a shame for that cover to grade so low. I don’t collect Archie... I’m assuming the book is valuable enough that spending money to improve its grade would be worthwhile. 

Edited by oldrover

I think the consensus range seems about right, but we've all seen books with yellowing/dust shadows on the cover rate in the 9's as well as books with foxing (also in the 9's). Now, your soiling is admittedly more severe than those examples, but there was a time where the Overstreet grading guidelines explicitly stated than and tanning/browning or dust shadows on the cover meant no better than VG.  (shrug)

I guess it remains the case that a book with an accumulation of small defects still seems easier to grade than a better presenting book with a more major defect. 

Edited by PopKulture