• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze 9.0-9.2 with yellow pages
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Ive been struggling to grade a bunch of Branze Age books I have to sell on ebay that basically fall under the 9.0-9.2 grade. Whats holding me back is that the pages are cream for the most part.

These books were never ever bagged, yet preserved well in boxes for many years.

How much yellow/cream is allowed for a book to still be considered 9.0-9.2 ?

11 hours ago, moemaya said:

Ive been struggling to grade a bunch of Branze Age books I have to sell on ebay that basically fall under the 9.0-9.2 grade. Whats holding me back is that the pages are cream for the most part.

These books were never ever bagged, yet preserved well in boxes for many years.

How much yellow/cream is allowed for a book to still be considered 9.0-9.2 ?

My understanding is that PQ does not affect a book's grade. If a book is in NM+ shape, PQ can be "CREAM", and still be a 9.8.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, moemaya said:

wow thats awesome news for me if its true. I mean Ive been selling these as VF or VF+ with no problem. One buyer even told me I undergraded.

But if what youre saying is true then why do they bother with the OW or cream pages in the grading process?

To disclose page quality. IMO it's important. Aging is simply part of the art equation. I think it's significantly important to modern books. I personally won't collect any modern with any PQ below "WHITE".

If pre-modern books have "WHITE" PQ, then I think it shows that a lot of care was taken in preserving the condition of the book.

Some people may not care about PQ. Having an NM book with any PQ is more important than low-quality with "WHITE" PQ, though.

There are significant amounts of different collecting preferences. PQ is just another number in the equation.

7 minutes ago, Bat Rastard said:

Thanks that sort of helps... Im not looking to CGC any of these just sell on ebay - mostly under $50 comics. But cream seems to be ok with NM books according to this chart.

Im curious does CGC have a color chart for the page colors? My version of cream or tan, or dark tan etc may be different than the next guys.

PQ is Page Quality, not Page Color. It's to give a general indication of the quality of the page preservation over time.  As the page loses suppleness, it darkens relative to its original color.  Technically 'white' means that the page quality is just as it was from the day it was made, not that the pages are necessarily 'white' colored.  Especially with bronze age books, which were printed on pretty crappy paper for the most part.

Another thing to consider is that "white to off-white" doesn't necessarily mean that the page color/quality is somewhere in between white and off-white, but that both states exist in the book.  you could have a book whose quality at the staples is newstand fresh with darker edges and it would get an off-white to white designation.

PQ is one of the lesser-understood parts of collecting, and is also the most variable and subjective of characteristics imho. 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:50 AM, TwoPiece said:

My understanding is that PQ does not affect a book's grade. If a book is in NM+ shape, PQ can be "CREAM", and still be a 9.8.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Lt. Tan is capped at 8.5. So the first part of your statement is wrong, but the second part is mostly right.  I don't recall ever seeing a Cream designation on a 9.8 but have seen many CR-OW which means that at least some portion of the page is cream.

Just now, seanfingh said:

Lt. Tan is capped at 8.5. So the first part of your statement is wrong, but the second part is mostly right.  I don't recall ever seeing a Cream designation on a 9.8 but have seen many CR-OW which means that at least some portion of the page is cream.

I've never seen a "TAN" PQ. Thank you. Learn something new everyday.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:14 AM, seanfingh said:

I have a double cover book, inner cover 9.6, outer cover 9.2.

CGC grade is 8.5 because of the lt. Tan/ off White pages.