• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 15: Is this spine roll possible to be fixed?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I have this AF15 CGC 4.5. It looks pretty nice without MC, but I wonder if any work can be done to fix the issue with the spine roll? And is this something that would be worth the risk and expenses to do it? It would surely look nicer with a better wrap but I know nothing about the process, as I know also nothing about if this book has already been pressed or not. I don't mind keeping it as is and I don't have any plans on selling it, but if there is a chance to get it looking better in a safe manner, why not? What do you think?

Grader notes are these: Center Front Cover Multiple Crease , Full Top Whole Book Wear, Interior Cover Tanning, Spine Readers Crease Breaks Color, Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color, Whole Book Mis-wrap.

Here is the book:

AF15_F_White_Small.jpg.51c5c6136c1e9c9d9a94dc388773d33f.jpg

AF_15_B_White_Small.jpg.e6d54db0b68d6833674ff4f6f1cbb3b1.jpg

4 hours ago, marmat said:

I think it is not spine roll, it is the book that is mis wrapped, as stated in the notes. 

It's more likely a spine roll because all of the interior pages are fanned on the back cover.

Fixing the spine roll would align the interior pages but yes, it would then mis-align the front cover. But miswrapped SA books are common.

5 hours ago, marmat said:

I think it is not spine roll, it is the book that is mis wrapped, as stated in the notes. 

The staples are alligned with the spine.  Of you press the comic to fix it the staples would end on thw back cover. It would be spine re-allignment

34 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's more likely a spine roll because all of the interior pages are fanned on the back cover.

Fixing the spine roll would align the interior pages but yes, it would then mis-align the front cover. But miswrapped SA books are common.

It's my impression as well that this is a spine roll despite the note... But yes the staples would end up on the back cover and the left edge of the front cover would start right on the perimeter of the 12c circle. But this is anyway the most usual for this issue.

Roy, would you have it fixed if this was your book? I am really hesitant sending in such a book and taking such a chance, but I would love to hear what you would do. hm

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

:takeit:

I was trying to make my mind up on the spine roll and realised I was looking at the one in your signature line Alex! :makepoint:

It's bloody massive :grin:

@SECollector 

I'd leave it alone. My eyes are dodgy, but can I see the interior page showing top right?  If so,  would realignment force that out further, potentially giving the impression the cover had been trimmed? It's a lovely blue label AF15.  Why risk messing with it? 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

@SECollector 

I'd leave it alone. My eyes are dodgy, but can I see the interior page showing top right?  If so,  would realignment force that out further, potentially giving the impression the cover had been trimmed? It's a lovely blue label AF15.  Why risk messing with it? 

Thanks for the input and yes I am most probably leaving it alone, I like it as it. The thought just hit me today and thought getting some opinions from the massively accumulated expertise in here. :foryou:

By the way I think what you are referring to, showing on the top, is actually the edge of the back cover.

2 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Thanks for the input and yes I am most probably leaving it alone, I like it as it. The thought just hit me today and thought getting some opinions from the massively accumulated expertise in here. :foryou:

By the way I think what you are referring to, showing on the top, is actually the edge of the back cover.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant the right edge of the cover, near the top, not the top itself (my eyes aren't that bad! :cool:). Thought I could see the interior pages peeking out and thought realignment might push them out further.

If you're not planning to sell, definitely leave it. But if the concensus is that realignment would bump the grade,  then do it just before you sell :bigsmile:

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant the right edge of the cover, near the top, not the top itself (my eyes aren't that bad! :cool:). Thought I could see the interior pages peeking out and thought realignment might push them out further.

If you're not planning to sell, definitely leave it. But if the concensus is that realignment would bump the grade,  then do it just before you sell :bigsmile:

My mistake, sorry :flamed:. Yep, that is probably the interior page (I don't have the book right now in my hands to confirm but you are most probably right).

Not selling. At least not for a long time. Maybe after I complete my ASM run, which will take some good time, and if I decide to upgrade - then maybe.  

10 minutes ago, SECollector said:

The thought just hit me today and thought getting some opinions from the massively accumulated expertise in here

.....and Roy.

:shy:

On 12/4/2018 at 2:49 PM, SECollector said:

Roy, would you have it fixed if this was your book? I am really hesitant sending in such a book and taking such a chance, but I would love to hear what you would do. hm

It all depends on the risk involved. Without seeing the book it's impossible to say.

Looks to me like spine roll, the staples seem slightly shifted towards the front.  Properly done it may improve the front cover appearance of the book, but as has been stated this IS a AF15 and it is not likely worth the risk of an “incident”

extreme example of a repair on a beater:

DB527764-BE6C-430B-BBB4-F43BAC20473C.jpeg