• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Tec 27 2.5 for 410K
1 1

30 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

Also...the notes on the book read "front and back cover reattached with tape on entire spine of interior cover."  That tells me the FC and BC are completely split from one another and this book would grade 1.5...maybe 1.8 max if regraded.

There was an unfortunate loophole in the rules that if you used regular tape (causing permanent damage to the book) you got a blue label and if you used archival tape you got a restored label (or, now, a conserved label -- I think the conserved designation happened after this book was taped up).  CGC did the right thing by changing the rules. 

55 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There was an unfortunate loophole in the rules that if you used regular tape (causing permanent damage to the book) you got a blue label and if you used archival tape you got a restored label (or, now, a conserved label -- I think the conserved designation happened after this book was taped up).  CGC did the right thing by changing the rules. 

So the book was a 1.5 in May 09 (sold on HA), got regraded in Jul 09 to a 2.5 (due to the addition of tape), but would go back down if graded today due to the tape.......hard to keep it all straight  :)

2 hours ago, Tbone911t said:

So the book was a 1.5 in May 09 (sold on HA), got regraded in Jul 09 to a 2.5 (due to the addition of tape), but would go back down if graded today due to the tape.......hard to keep it all straight  :)

That’s what she said :foryou:

2 hours ago, Tbone911t said:

Sad but true.  

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Personally I think tape should always be called "restored".  If it is archival then it is professional and if it is non archival it is amateur.  I have heard the argument it is conservation to prevent snagging but snagging doesn't need a tear to happen, just a sharp mylar edge and a careless handler so I don't consider it conservation.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, batman_fan said:
On 12/5/2018 at 5:10 PM, Sqeggs said:

Personally I think tape should always be called "restored".  If it is archival then it is professional and if it is non archival it is amateur.  I have heard the argument it is conservation to prevent snagging but snagging doesn't need a tear to happen, just a sharp mylar edge and a careless handler so I don't consider it conservation.

Yeah, I think you're right, but my understanding is that the original idea was that tape was typically added by OOs without any thought of doing more than repairing a book so they could more easily reread it.  So, it wasn't really resto in the sense we think of it.

The problem arose when prices began to accelerate and CGC was giving higher grades to books with taped spines than to books with split spines that hadn't been taped.  Given the difference in price for a grade bump on a book like Tec 27, taping up spines was inevitable.  The change in the rules has (apparently) eliminated the incentive to do it.

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I think you're right, but my understanding is that the original idea was that tape was typically added by OOs without any thought of doing more than repairing a book so they could more easily reread it.  So, it wasn't really resto in the sense we think of it.

The problem arose when prices began to accelerate and CGC was giving higher grades to books with taped spines than to books with split spines that hadn't been taped.  Given the difference in price for a grade bump on a book like Tec 27, taping up spines was inevitable.  The change in the rules has (apparently) eliminated the incentive to do it.

That’s why I think my way of looking at it is the correct way. CGC should not try to determine intent. They should grade the book in front of them. That is why I think their guessing at whether a defect was done at the time of manufacturing versus someone 50 years later to increase the grade. They should just grade the book in front of them. 

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

That’s why I think my way of looking at it is the correct way. CGC should not try to determine intent. They should grade the book in front of them. That is why I think their guessing at whether a defect was done at the time of manufacturing versus someone 50 years later to increase the grade. They should just grade the book in front of them. 

:headbang: