• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE ADDS VINTAGE GRADED VIDEO GAMES TO ITS SIGNATURE AND WEEKLY AUCITONS
2 2

177 posts in this topic

In the winter 2018  intelligent collector magazine which Heritage publishes for its bidders page 38, there appears to be a new grading service Wata Games which grades them on a 10 point basis and puts them in a plastic protective case. The article goes on to say the prices go to up to $100,000.00 on Sonic, Zelda, and Super Mario Bros with factory sealed games bringing the most premium. Check out you storage areas or call mom.....these cases look really cool and it will be interesting to track them at those auctions as our comic book collector field gets more and more expanded. There is a photo of a 9.4 graded super Mario very similar to CGC type of label.

Edited by Mmehdy

A lowly 6.0 here.

38856269_2179340365682128_5087569876587905024_n.jpg.d99ff156c1c01e7db6e8ac754a1ecbb5.jpg

I wonder how long it will be before someone grades old grading cases. This vintage 9.4 comic case is in 9.4 condition

Put that in your auciton!

hm

What's an auciton? :|

Thank you for the info on Heritage. I have collected slabbed and raw vintage sealed Atari and 1st gen Sega games for years. The action figure authority (AFA) has been grading sealed games for quite some time under the VGA label. This will be interesting to see how prices land for similar slabbed pieces under the WATA label.

2 hours ago, BAT MAN said:

Thank you for the info on Heritage. I have collected slabbed and raw vintage sealed Atari and 1st gen Sega games for years. The action figure authority (AFA) has been grading sealed games for quite some time under the VGA label. This will be interesting to see how prices land for similar slabbed pieces under the WATA label.

have you seen prices go up strongly in the time that you have been collecting these games? i've heard folks talk about this hobby for a few years now but this is the first time i've seen heritage taking the plunge. it seems very logical that the younger age demographic of 20-40 year olds with disposable income would be into this, just as 30-70 year olds are into the old comics they either had or coveted as kids. 

12 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

have you seen prices go up strongly in the time that you have been collecting these games? i've heard folks talk about this hobby for a few years now but this is the first time i've seen heritage taking the plunge. it seems very logical that the younger age demographic of 20-40 year olds with disposable income would be into this, just as 30-70 year olds are into the old comics they either had or coveted as kids. 

I can't speak to high end sealed/slabbed stuff, but "normal" ($20-300) vintage video game prices have stagnated for awhile. I collected CIB NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1/Gamecube/Dreamcast actively several years ago and prices now seem at the same level, or lower, than they were then. That said, scarcer niche systems like Neo Geo and TG16 seem to have gone up. I recently sold my Neo Geo AES collection and I was happy with the prices I got and shocked by the speed at which they disappeared. The $50 loose Contra days though? They are done. 

Edited by october

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Ugh. The art of a video game is what it conveys when you actually use the video game in the system... I can't support this form of "grading".

You're just grading a freaking box. This is so dumb. No offense...

It's dumb, but it's also not much different than locking out the story and interior art of a comic inside a slab, and collectors can download a ROM just as easily as they can pick up a TPB. 

Edited by october

5 minutes ago, october said:

I'd dumb, but it's also not much different than locking out the story and interior art of a comic inside a slab, and collectors can download a ROM just as easily as they can pick up a TPB. 

It's much different, because a comic book is the art. The graders are judging the condition of the actual art. A video game case/disc/whatever is not the art. It's the binary and visual translation of the data from media-to-screen that is the art...

20 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A lowly 6.0 here.

38856269_2179340365682128_5087569876587905024_n.jpg.d99ff156c1c01e7db6e8ac754a1ecbb5.jpg

First print #3 though.    Most all of them have the Bros on the right (2nd print) instead of the left (1st).    

So its early/first unopened.  Even if the box has a few dings to 6.0, that's still a nice item

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Ugh. The art of a video game is what it conveys when you actually use the video game in the system... I can't support this form of "grading".

You're just grading a freaking box. This is so dumb. No offense...

gotta agree with october on this one. it's really no dumber than what we do here with CGC graded cases for comics that you can no longer read. the cover of a comic is a great piece of art, but it's just the cover. you can't read a graded comic, and you can't play a graded video game. equal dumbness, though i don't think that's the right word. these former objects of entertainment are now valuable commodities. grading and entombing them unfortunately helps develop the market. just like with comics, you can buy a reader copy, and a graded copy. i'm sure with video games one could do the same, assuming you had the console. or as October said, you can download the game just as easily as we buy TPBs. 

Just now, www.alexgross.com said:

gotta agree with october on this one. it's really no dumber than what we do here with CGC graded cases for comics that you can no longer read. the cover of a comic is a great piece of art, but it's just the cover. you can't read a graded comic, and you can't play a graded video game. equal dumbness, though i don't think that's the right word. these former objects of entertainment are now valuable commodities. grading and entombing them unfortunately helps develop the market. just like with comics, you can buy a reader copy, and a graded copy. i'm sure with video games one could do the same, assuming you had the console. or as October said, you can download the game just as easily as we buy TPBs. 

Except that a comic is an actual piece of art. The art of a video game is binary visual code... A graded comic book is a conditioned piece of art. A graded video game is a conditioned box that has an artifact with the code that is read by a machine that uses throughput to translate language into visual media you can read through an electronic device... Just hugely, hugely, different animals.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Except that a comic is an actual piece of art. The art of a video game is binary visual code... A graded comic book is a conditioned piece of art. A graded video game is a conditioned box that has an artifact with the code that is read by a machine that uses throughput to translate language into visual media you can read through an electronic device... Just hugely, hugely, different animals.

disagree. video game box or package art is just as valid as comic book cover art. it might not be very good in many cases, but it's still an actual piece of art.  just like classic collectible toy boxes themselves are also art. 

3 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

disagree. video game box or package art is just as valid as comic book cover art. it might not be very good in many cases, but it's still an actual piece of art.  just like classic collectible toy boxes themselves are also art. 

You disagree with the objective nature of comic books vs video games..? It's not a matter of opinion.

If you want to discuss the nature of comics vs video game packages, then that's a completely different topic.

An action figure/toy is infinitely closer to a comic book than an artifact that contains code required by a machine to convey visual representation of said code is.

Edited by TwoPiece

48 minutes ago, Bronty said:

First print #3 though.    Most all of them have the Bros on the right (2nd print) instead of the left (1st).    

So its early/first unopened.  Even if the box has a few dings to 6.0, that's still a nice item

Yes, I posted it just to get a picture in the thread really Bronty. Things come alive with pictures. Picture quality aside, it looks great. I'd be happy if all my 6.0 comics looked like that! :)

30 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
33 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

You disagree with the objective nature of comic books vs video games..? It's not a matter of opinion.

If you want to discuss the nature of comics vs video game packages, then that's a completely different topic.

An action figure/toy is infinitely closer to a comic book than an artifact that contains code required by a machine to convey visual representation of said code is.

You making friends again TwoPiece? :shy: