• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE ADDS VINTAGE GRADED VIDEO GAMES TO ITS SIGNATURE AND WEEKLY AUCITONS
2 2

177 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Hold my beer while I try to figure out how to hook my vintage N64 into my 4KTV that has no aux input for those red/yellow/white cables...

You can enjoy a comic book with 0 prerequisites other than your eyes being able to see.

C'mon.   How many people collecting all those wonderful GA timely's which I'd love to have actually read them?   I had a Human Torch 8 I tried to read and I've never read anything so insipidly stupid.   It was written for four year olds.   If you look for the negative, you will find it.

Consider how many people are buying that Detective 27 for $500,000 because, dammit, they just have to read it?   Collectors' motivations aren't that hard to understand.   They are spending that kind of money because of what the comic or game or card or whatever means to them, not because they want to use it for the purpose intended 30, 40, 80 years ago.    

Edited by Bronty

Just now, Bronty said:

C'mon.   How many people collecting all those wonderful GA timely's which I'd love to have actually read them?   I had a Human Torch 8 I tried to read and I've never read anything so insipidly stupid.   It was written for four year olds.

Couldn't tell you. There's probably someone out there with a slabbed copy of The Amazing Spider-Man #1 that was printed this year. I'm not blanket-defending every collecting choice, but comics vs video games is an easy one.

I don't have an Atari, so buying a graded copy of Golf gives me nothing to appreciate at any point in time without investing time/money into something else. If I won the lottery on Saturday, I could buy a low-grade Action #1 and read it in the same day. Or, just read the reprint that I have at home...

This conversation is going nowhere.   Enjoy your choices and let others enjoy theirs :)

I do find it odd that you humblebrag about buying a couple PS games now worth at least a couple grand.. for nothing on clearance, but then complain about the collectors who value them ;)

You saw something in those which you felt would make them valuable unopened.   You were right.   Is it so weird to you that others might have the same POV, see them as valuable too? You seem to want it to call it dumb yet at the same time pat yourself on the back for seeing the value in it. 

The mental gymnastics required for me to understand your POV is a little too much for me this morning so I will sign off ;)    

Edited by Bronty

17 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

A friend PMed me this thread, because he knows I collect video games.  I've had the good fortune to pick Bronty's brain a couple times in another part of the internet regarding these games.

One thing that needs to be brought up here is WATA game's pedigree.  It's not a coincidence that they use a 10-point grading system like CGC's because there are some comic book people helping to guide WATA.  I want WATA to succeed, but I have mixed feelings about this thread because....dammit...I'm not done buying up all the good games yet.  And it sucks being into both games and comics because they compete for your collecting dollars.  Anyway, WATA has a reputation for approaching the hobby "correctly" and the respect of some dubious big players.  It's going to get interesting.

Another interesting tidbit about WATA is they routinely grade games that are NOT sealed.  It's a fertile field in the collecting genre because (until now), they were just an odd duck to the other grading company.  I think we'll see a greater acceptance of them.  It also creates another dynamic of collecting because the completeness of the games are evaluated and the condition of the manual is considered in the final grade.

Now, let's drop this topic so I can continue accumulating all the cool stuff before it gets too popular.  

(check out this cover art:)

IMG_6741.JPG

That's interesting, I didn't know opened items were worthy enough to be graded. I had a decent collection of Gameboy carts and have been slowly selling them off on eBay for the last few years and I was surprised how much I got for complete games. Thanks for my collector OCD, I saved all the contents and all the boxes were still sharp and glossy. I still have a handful of rare games that are still complete, so it's good know I have a grading option for those games.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I have sealed products of both black-label Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VII. I bought them at a K-Mart when they thought they were going out of business and had a clearance sale. I knew that sealed copies were valuable.

I would never get them graded because I stand-by my previous statements that it's ridiculously stupid. I may as well start grading unopened iPhones in-box.

Are they in nice condition?

24 minutes ago, kHAoS said:

That's interesting, I didn't know opened items were worthy enough to be graded. I had a decent collection of Gameboy carts and have been slowly selling them off on eBay for the last few years and I was surprised how much I got for complete games. Thanks for my collector OCD, I saved all the contents and all the boxes were still sharp and glossy. I still have a handful of rare games that are still complete, so it's good know I have a grading option for those games.

Shoot yeah!  Below is a picture of a couple of my SNES games.  Not my most expensive, but the Super Ghouls and Ghosts means a lot to me, even if I suck at that impossible game.  It's dang near impossible to find black corners in this condition unless you buy a sealed copy and unwrap it.  And even then, I've seen shelf wear on wrapped stuff worse than this.  I'm not saying it's perfect, but it gives me the same thrill that a high grade (vintage) black cover comic does.  It shouldn't exist, but it does, and it's nice to look at.  The Populous was an ebay purchase.  Not quite as nice, but it's eye candy.  I do want to migrate them to slabs because I think they'd look cool.

ghouls ghosts.jpg

populous2.jpg

Edited by Westy Steve

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Super GNG is one of my all time favorites.   What a great game.   

(and its a lot easier than than the original GNG! yikes!)

Did anyone ever finsih that game?

Was there an ending?

Near the end of winter 1981ish for the very first time I walked into a mega super arcade. There were 3-5 duplicate machines of anything you could thing of ranging from Centipede, Pac-Man, Defender, Galaxian, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Missle Command and a whole bunch more.

The pure decibel level of the simultaneous action from all those games being played was something I never experienced. It was so loud, breath taking, and incredible. Hearing that distinct sound when the flea descends down the screen in Centipede along with the marching of the aliens in Space Invaders. I was completely hooked and fascinated.

I was very fortunate to get an Atari 2600 for my bday. The build up and anticipation of getting games was surreal that would lead into holidays or birthdays. As in life and in gaming though, sometimes the actual experience does not live up to the expectations we built up in our mind thanks to imagination. Ever since I can remember I have been deeply philosophical from the perspective of truly try taking in moments to pause and appreciate them.

So for me personally the reason why I collect slabbed video games is to capture and re-live this pure experience of being catapulted back in time. Sure playing the actual game is awesome too. But it is in a different experience bucket for me. When I see that game in shrink wrap I remember all those trips to the toy stores. The search and looking and seeing it on the shelf or a holiday/bday when I finally got it. 

I am lucky that I only collect Atari 2600, Coleco, and 1st gen 16bit Sega but for those dabbling in other runs you have to really do your due diligence. Liquidity is a major variable and you will more than likely be dealing with BIN style auctions for 80-90% of the time.  So this Heritage development will really make things interesting to have more bidding style opportunities. 

10 hours ago, Park said:

Did anyone ever finsih that game?

Was there an ending?

Gng?   Yes it’s possible and IIRC you actually have to finish it twice to get the full ending (eep).

10 hours ago, BAT MAN said:

. When I see that game in shrink wrap I remember all those trips to the toy stores. The search and looking and seeing it on the shelf or a holiday/bday when I finally got it. 

Yep. I have maybe half a dozen sealed NES/SNES games, and this is exactly why. 

It is a lot more impressive to have a sealed Atari/NES/SNES in fantastic condition than some sealed playstation 1 game in a cd jeweler case.  The cardboard boxes naturally are easier to wear and tear.  

Also, if a company is grading loose games then it doesn't matter where everything comes from.  The manual could be obtained online separately as well as the case and become this Frankenstein of a product.  Don't really like that idea but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

1. It is a lot more impressive to have a sealed Atari/NES/SNES in fantastic condition than some sealed playstation 1 game in a cd jeweler case.  The cardboard boxes naturally are easier to wear and tear.  

2.  Also, if a company is grading loose games then it doesn't matter where everything comes from.  The manual could be obtained online separately as well as the case and become this Frankenstein of a product.  Don't really like that idea but it is what it is.

1.  I agree, its just more eye candy for sure as the cd cases are so small, and its an older vintage so that's automatically bonus points to have survived mint or unopened.   The sealed CD games though have their own condition sensitivities:   a) the plastic is brittle AF so even sealed copies have cracked cases a goodly amount of the time  b) the cd's pop free from the peg, on the inside, c) the plastic tended to be covered in stickers and and while that can often be removed, that flimsly/thin ps1 wrap tends to show evidence of removal, and d) harder corners make for easier tearing of the wrap at the corners

2.  Parts can be married, but I understand Wata will reject (?) disclose and penalize (?) incorrectly married parts.    I know they've done a lot of work on understanding which versions of the manuals should go in which boxes, etc.    Its not as simple as taking a zelda box and a zelda manual and mashing them together.     The dates of the parts have to match, and on some of the major titles there can be a dozen or more different 'dates' to the parts.    That will discourage marriages quite a bit (but not eliminate them completely).

Edited by Bronty

On 12/6/2018 at 3:12 PM, Bronty said:

Super GNG is one of my all time favorites.   What a great game.   

(and its a lot easier than than the original GNG! yikes!)

Believe it was winter of 92 perhaps. It was around 11PM and freezing outside. My room mates were going to a rave. A few of us were not interested so we stayed back as we were in the middle of a sonic face off. I had no intention nor inclination of what about was going to happen on through the night.

GNG was a hard game at that time and everyone knew this game. Most were tapping out early. There are so many levels and difficult boards. Somehow I got a hot hand. Nearly 3 hours later I finished it. Around a little after 4AM half of the entire dorm room floor had crammed into our suite. People could not believe it and were freaking out as I got closer and closer to the the last level and as I was getting through some those more difficult boards they were going nutz. I am talking about jumping up and down cheering just as if they were watching an NFL game or UFC PPV. I think at one point near the end security was called and the guard was a younger guy; he ended up in disbelief just watching. Probably one of the greatest achievements of mine in college. Good times. Still have the game present day in an archival case.

GNG.jpg

This is the very first game I "finished." I can recall the day vividly. It was a super hot day during middle of summer. I did not want to be outside so stayed in the cool basement to play Yars Revenge. It was honestly just a fluke but I kept playing and playing and moving on. The boards started to get very difficult. Funny thing is present day as an adult I could never replicate what I did on this particular day as a 9 year old.

So I had gotten to the point where these was no protective force field in the middle of the screen for me to hide in. And the boomerang type weapon being shot at me was doing multiple zig zag movements to catch me. Before I knew it after playing for a very long time; I got to a completely black screen with some kind of code or message. That was it. THE END. The game had quit. I can not recall what it specifically said but I ran upstairs to tell everyone.  This is without a doubt one of my favorite slabs that I have. Below are my other top 2 favorite all time Atari 2600.

YAR.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

On 12/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

It is a lot more impressive to have a sealed Atari/NES/SNES in fantastic condition than some sealed playstation 1 game in a cd jeweler case.  The cardboard boxes naturally are easier to wear and tear.  

Also, if a company is grading loose games then it doesn't matter where everything comes from.  The manual could be obtained online separately as well as the case and become this Frankenstein of a product.  Don't really like that idea but it is what it is.

It's like classic cars. If you use the correct original parts then you can't tell and it really doesn't matter.  I have seen some fairly expensive games on eBay that do you have mismatch parts. Which builds a case that we need to have a grading service for them.