• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE ADDS VINTAGE GRADED VIDEO GAMES TO ITS SIGNATURE AND WEEKLY AUCITONS
2 2

177 posts in this topic

The problem with this discussion is the focus by some on the sealed aspect.   You don’t like sealed games, fine don’t buy them.   But you’d have no issue, presumably, with the collecting of high grade games otherwise.

well, when it comes to this particular type of material it’s much easier to just find a sealed one than find a ‘mint’ opened one.    The simple act of opening the vintage stuff leaves marks.

In other words , all the focus of this discussion is on 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 kind of grades and that’s never been everyone’s cup of tea in any hobby.   

you think chasing the nicest examples is dumb?   Fine, do something else.    But all this ‘anger’ is so 1999.   It’s no different than all the people that hated on the pricing of hg comics when CGC (and I was one of those people!).

but that was twenty years ago now.   Comics are fun, games are fun, hg examples of either are nice to have.   So what’s the problem again ?  :insane:

Edited by Bronty

On 12/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm actually with TwoPiece on this one.

I mean...what happens if you buy say...a pristine (and graded as such) factory-sealed early copy of Super Mario Bros for the NES.

Then a year later you (gasp!) open it to play the game on your vintatge system, because there's a fun tangible feel to it that an emulator just can't match.

Only, the game doesn't work. It's a lemon, the 1 in 1000 errors due to manufacturing.

Even though it was sealed, the grading company couldn't vouch for the _game_, only look / condition of the box the game came in. As TwoPiece says, they're effectively grading the video game box, which has little relation to the playability of the game itself.

That's the fundamental difference to me between graded comics or baseballs vs. graded video games.

I think the fundamental issue is that everyone’s played games but not everyone has had experience collecting them and so they can’t turn it over in their mind and have it make sense to them.   You want to understand the material?   All you need to do is spend some time with the physical items and rediscover why they captured a generation.   There’s a significant nostalgic rush from that which you won’t be able to understand from a discussion that’s all theory and no goods in front of you.   A truly perfect copy of something from those days is special and shouldn’t really exist.   

And, in truth, even with the material in front of you, it won’t appeal to everyone in the same way that not everyone that read comics as a kid wants to have anything to do with collecting them as an adult.

(There is a much better chance that the baseball signatures are fake, or that the comic has undisclosed resto, or your carded Gijoe pops an O Ring, than your ‘lemon at production’ argument btw ;)  You educate yourself and then take your risks in any hobby)

Edited by Bronty

23 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Not an attack.  You're not exercising rational behavior if what you're saying is true, so I can't argue with you since my arguments assume the other person is rational.

If you can buy something worth $1,000 for $50, then you're making $950.  I would spend $50 for something I didn't want if I knew it was going to make me $950 with very little effort.  Could be strawberry shortcake dolls or vintage rubber dog doo...wouldn't matter to me!   That compares very favorably with making $30 and hour.  You're the 1% here that wouldn't take that deal, so I don't think I we have a common value system which forms the basis for a good debate.

The thing is everybody reading this knows he’s full of it ;)    If he could buy 1k in sealed games for 200 to resell, of course he’d do it.   But he doesn’t want to admit that they’d have even that much value to him because he’s threatened by the idea of people collecting something he doesn’t understand.   Okay, whatever.   Not worth the time to argue the point.

Edited by Bronty

On 12/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, Westy Steve said:

Not an attack.  You're not exercising rational behavior if what you're saying is true, so I can't argue with you since my arguments assume the other person is rational.

If you can buy something worth $1,000 for $50, then you're making $950.  I would spend $50 for something I didn't want if I knew it was going to make me $950 with very little effort.  Could be strawberry shortcake dolls or vintage rubber dog doo...wouldn't matter to me!   That compares very favorably with making $30 and hour.  You're the 1% here that wouldn't take that deal, so I don't think I we have a common value system which forms the basis for a good debate.

That's hilariously ironic and objectively incorrect.

Since I didn't buy these for resale, your "you're making" comment is entirely irrelevant. The outlook isn't as an investment. I bought them because it's expensive to own these sealed products of games that I love.

Regardless of the irrelevant tangent you're branching out into - all of the previously mentioned criticisms of grading a package stand.

Being 99th percentile is great company. I'm not going to spend my money on that I don't care about. The only guarantees in life are death and taxes. There's no guarantee that, even if I tried to sell these, that they get sold. That's why the adage around here about buying comics you love vs buying them for an investment makes the most sense.

Edit: I suggest that some people, not the poster that I'm responding to in particular, take emotions out of this conversation. I don't see any anger being harbored here. Kinda shows that some people are actually 'speaking' objectively while others are taking this to heart. Truth hurts...

Edited by TwoPiece

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's hilariously ironic and objectively incorrect.

Since I didn't buy these for resale, your "you're making" comment is entirely irrelevant. The outlook isn't as an investment. I bought them because it's expensive to own these sealed products of games that I love.

Regardless of the irrelevant tangent you're branching out into - all of the previously mentioned criticisms of grading a package stand.

Being 99th percentile is great company. I'm not going to spend my money on that I don't care about. The only guarantees in life are death and taxes. There's no guarantee that, even if I tried to sell these, that they get sold. That's why the adage around here about buying comics you love vs buying them for an investment makes the most sense.

Can't have it both ways and call it "shrewd buying" at first, and now explain you did it for the love.

If the sealed copies cost the same as what you paid for them, you wouldn't have bought them, right?   The fact you got a deal is why you bought them.   Nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

The thing is everybody reading this knows he’s full of it ;)    If he could buy 1k in sealed games for 200 to resell, of course he’d do it.   But he doesn’t want to admit that they’d have even that much value to him because he’s threatened by the idea of people collecting something he doesn’t understand.   Okay, whatever.   Not worth the time to argue the point.

Wrong. I don't buy things that I don't want. There are no guarantees to resale. This is a fundamentally flawed opinion of yours. Truth hurts. You seem to be threatened by the fact that you're collecting graded gaming packages. Not sure why you're making assumptions about other people that have no foundation. It's kinda childish.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Wrong. I don't buy things that I don't want. There are no guarantees to resale. This is a fundamentally flawed opinion of yours. Truth hurts. You seem to be threatened by the fact that you're collecting graded gaming packages. Not sure why you're making assumptions about other people that have no foundation. It's kinda childish.

lol mkay bro.

Just now, Bronty said:

Can't have it both ways and call it "shrewd buying" at first, and now explain you did it for the love.

If the sealed copies cost the same as what you paid for them, you wouldn't have bought them, right?   The fact you got a deal is why you bought them.   Nothing wrong with that.

So... Buying something that you want for 95% off isn't shrewd buying..? Did you read this before submitting..?

Just now, TwoPiece said:

So... Buying something that you want for 95% off isn't shrewd buying..? Did you read this before submitting..?

You know, we were having a nice discussion in this thread until you had to come along and pee all over it.   Why are you here?   Don't like the stuff?   Click the next thread.

I'm going to try take my own advice and not take the time to respond to you further.

Just now, Bronty said:

You know, we were having a nice discussion in this thread until you had to come along and pee all over it.   Why are you here?   Don't like the stuff?   Click the next thread.

I'm going to try take my own advice and not take the time to respond to you further.

Irrelevant questions. Good to know that anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion on anything is "peeing on it".

I've tried to agree to disagree, but the defenders of this hobby don't seem interested in unemotional discussion. Disappointing.

Enjoy the holidays.

12 hours ago, SillyGoose said:

You are the Plankton of this board. You should lay off the...

BbzVtWIIMAAVubr?format=png&name=medium

Says the guy with 5 posts prior to this one...

Last I checked, people don't consume elements. This lack of scientific accuracy makes your attempted joke fall too flat to be considered humor.

22 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Wouldn't people that collect sealed video games fall into the same category as those that collect sealed vinyl?  Need a device to appreciate the contents... the thing is people just want an untouched, flawless if possible, copy of said item. In terms of collecting anything it makes sense.

I didn't know that collecting sealed vinyl is a thing... Collecting vinyl in and of itself is cool. Sealed vinyl..? Eh... Graded vinyl? Don't get me started... lol

6 hours ago, Sardo Numspar said:

I'm a big supporter and believer in WATA and their product.  I was waiting for a company like WATA to emerge because I never felt confident in the VGA product. Here are a few examples of my WATA certified games:

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

my favorites of the bunch.   Rygar is a classic that's rare in that condition and that original variant of Commando is exceedingly rare in that condition also, hard to find an opened copy even.   Lovely stuff.  

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

my favorites of the bunch.   Rygar is a classic that's rare in that condition and that original variant of Commando is exceedingly rare in that condition also, hard to find an opened copy even.   Lovely stuff.  

Thanks Dan! My faves as well. Goal next year is to track down a few more Capcom cardboard HT’s.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, TwoPiece said:

This statement is so ironic because you, yourself, are making assumptions that he's threatened by the fact that he collects graded gaming packages.  I can't speak for him, but I love buying gaming packages.  I've even bought empty gaming boxes because the art is so cool.  I've bought comics I don't seriously intend to read either.  Neither makes me feel threatened or ashamed, personally.  Wish I had more funds to buy more.