• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE ADDS VINTAGE GRADED VIDEO GAMES TO ITS SIGNATURE AND WEEKLY AUCITONS
2 2

177 posts in this topic

That will happen soon.  Mario movie will be huge.   The Illumination people are making it right now.  (Despicable me, minions, secret life of pets).   Given the almost certain success of that character and studio combo, Link and Metroid and the rest can’t be far behind.

Edited by Bronty

9 hours ago, Oddball said:

:whatthe: 100k for a game cart, I’m in the wrong hobby!  I’ve only made a few k profit here and there off original art sales.  

Original art is awesome.    I’ve been an art collector more than a game collector for 12 years or so.    And the game art has done just as well, maybe better, than the games themselves .   

Theres lots of awesome things out there to collect

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

That is awesome, congrats on the sale.

I’ve recently been picking up the old games I had as a kid, not in good condition just boxed complete. 

I have to admit that my money seems to go a lot farther in collecting video games than comics.  A few hundred $$$ in the genre of comic book collecting won't buy me anything in the upper half of the average comic collector's wish list.  But a few hundred $$$ in the game collecting genre buys me stuff that's firmly in their upper half.

24 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

I have to admit that my money seems to go a lot farther in collecting video games than comics.  A few hundred $$$ in the genre of comic book collecting won't buy me anything in the upper half of the average comic collector's wish list.  But a few hundred $$$ in the game collecting genre buys me stuff that's firmly in their upper half.

For now because the hobby is behind comic books history wise. I am pretty sure what we are buying now will be considered bargains in 10 years as the hobby continues to grow and mature.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bronty said:

Oh, almost certainly lol

But some groundbreaking game original art sales happened that month too, one of which was mine, so I took the opportunities in front of me to grow both markets and take care of a specific life goal at the same time.

And, I still have the sister game from the same collection.   TBH, years ago, everyone would have coveted the mario arcade (left) well above the SMB.   I paid 8k for the mario arcade at the time.  I'm not sure that I or anyone else would have paid that for the SMB at the time.

Bar3oLS.jpg?1

I don't even remember owning a boxed copy of Super Mario Bros NES since it came with the system. I'll read that article as that game is special from the story post. But I'm not really crazy about the whole sealed game grading for more modern games or games that people just happened not to open. I think there are people making fake boxes too. I know there are a few NES boxes I want to get since I destroyed them when I was a kid. But I have to look into what to look out for.

Did the original game artwork sales happen on Heritage as well? I didn't see any but I browsed through the last auction fairly quickly.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:57 AM, Bronty said:

That will happen soon.  Mario movie will be huge.   The Illumination people are making it right now.  (Despicable me, minions, secret life of pets).   Given the almost certain success of that character and studio combo, Link and Metroid and the rest can’t be far behind.

I thought Charlize Theron in Prometheus could have been Samus when she had that shot near the end in basically the Zero Suit.

Edited by GeneticNinja

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

1 But I'm not really crazy about the whole sealed game grading for more modern games or games that people just happened not to open.

2  think there are people making fake boxes too.

3 Did the original game artwork sales happen on Heritage as well? I didn't see any but I browsed through the last auction fairly quickly.

4 I thought Charlize Theron in Prometheus could have been Samus when she had that shot near the end in basically the Zero Suit.

1. Me neither, but then I also don't like cgc grading for comics that came out last week, either.

2. Yes, but they are readily apparent in person.    One of the arguments for grading, really.

3.  No, off the facebook group.

4.  No idea!

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

1. Me neither, but then I also don't like cgc grading for comics that came out last week, either.

2. Yes, but they are readily apparent in person.    One of the arguments for grading, really.

3.  No, off the facebook group.

4.  No idea!

Yeah I wouldn't grade modern comics. A lot of the graded modern comics I come across are only worth the cost of the grading and case.

It's good then if I'll be able to tell a fake box. I don't need the styrofoam cube that would come in the bottom. I know I want to get NES Faxanadu. I always liked that game and the music. Thinking about fake stuff, I remember I knew people that would use store return policies to borrow games. I forget what they called it and how it worked exactly. But they would buy a game at one store. Then buy another copy because one store would only take sealed returns. However, they would also go to another store to have the opened copy sealed again. It sounds crazy. I don't know why stores would reseal games for customers that would walk in like that.

The original artwork sold on your Facebook group? I'm still not on Facebook. What game artwork was it? You might like these books as well. I came across them on a youtube channel.

https://bitmapbooks.com/collections/all?page=1

You've never seen Prometheus? Here is a shot from that scene.

charlize-theron-idris-elba-prometheus-mo

Edited by GeneticNinja

15 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

1 It's good then if I'll be able to tell a fake box.

2 Thinking about fake stuff, I remember I knew people that would use store return policies to borrow games. I forget what they called it and how it worked exactly. But they would buy a game at one store.  I don't know why stores would reseal games for customers that would walk in like that.

3 The original artwork sold on your Facebook group?

1 Yeah the fakes are not sophisticated.   insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with inkjets trying to fake offset print boxes.

2 Store sealing equipment was just sealed around edges.   Factory sealed usually involved a seam down the middle of the back that store couldn't replicate.    (Although even if they could the simple act of opening a cardboard box creates telltale marks.

3 Not quite; sales happened between members of the group privately.    

You know, boards are in decline in general and there isn’t as easy an answer as there is here for comics but the best one would be nintendoage.    There’s also digital press and Atari age.   There are also numerous Facebook groups.   

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

You know, boards are in decline in general and there isn’t as easy an answer as there is here for comics but the best one would be nintendoage.    There’s also digital press and Atari age.   There are also numerous Facebook groups.   

Yes, those are the three best. I especially like Nintendo Age because they have a cool mod. :smile:

I have been lurking that board for years. I think I will sign up in August when I comeback from vacation.

CC

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yes, those are the three best. I especially like Nintendo Age because they have a cool mod. :smile:

Never heard of 'im! :insane: