• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on Collecting Golden Age!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I would like to ask for some tips on collecting Golden Age comic. I currently don't own any but would love to add some to my collection. I love the art on the older books. So are there any books you could recommend that are great pieces with great covers that wont break the bank? My dream would be Action 1 and the earliest Batman ones, but those are wayyyyy out of my price range at the moment. So any good ideas on where to start? Thanks everyone!

1 minute ago, sagii said:

..If your question was 'investment' focused other than what i believe to be 'collecting' focused, it would easier to answer.

My answer is

Do your Homework: Golden Age is like no other era. So Many genres: Hero, Romance, Horror, Western, Funny Animal, Sci Fi, Teen. So Many sub catagories : Bondage, GGA, Skull, WWII

So Many artist: L.B. Cole, Matt Baker, Lou Fine, Alex Schomburg, Joe Simon, So Many publishers Fiction House, Timely, Atlas, DC, Nedor, Fox, Ace, MLJ, St, John, Centaur

I Would Recommend diving into these Threads: Baker, Cole, Fox, Planet, Fiction House, Pre Code, Romance, Gilden Age Only, MLJ, 10 on the Census, Timely, Ducks, Centaur, Ask Gator, Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession, Teen Humor,  

Don't stare at anything posted by @MrBedrock too long or you will most surely get discouraged and turn to Moderns.

And drink it ALLLLLL in. Wealth of knowledge and info there.

And after you have done all that, most important of all Buy What You Like :)

Happy Hunting!

Good advise (thumbsu

15 minutes ago, Reece Markidis said:

Hey guys, I would like to ask for some tips on collecting Golden Age comic. I currently don't own any but would love to add some to my collection. I love the art on the older books. So are there any books you could recommend that are great pieces with great covers that wont break the bank? My dream would be Action 1 and the earliest Batman ones, but those are wayyyyy out of my price range at the moment. So any good ideas on where to start? Thanks everyone!

There are quite a few GA lines & titles with great art that are ...in my estimation... undervalued.  One publisher, "Busy" Arnold of Quality Comics, was known for enthusiasticly supporting art and paying top dollar for it.  Many Quality's titles ...Police Comics, Military/Modern, Blackhawk, Plastic Man et al... have fantastic art and are still affordable on a budget.  

If you're looking for early DCs like Batman or Action Comics,Timelys like Captain America or Marvel Mystery (any with Schomburg covers, esp.) be sure to bring more wallet.

Good hunting! :tink:

Bottomless pit and as adicting as crack! Try to have some focus or just try out stuff until you find your nitche. The misnomer is GA to too expensive to collect. That is completely wrong. There are so many great artists and genres to collect that won't break the bank. Also, it helps a lot if you lower your condition standards down a bit. Many times, low grade is all that will be available. Don't be intimidated or embarrased to buy great lower books that fit your pocket book. My favorite books are probably ECs. Started a love affair with them 50 years ago that has never gone away. Great art and stories. They are pretty available in all grades and pretty affordable. Carl Barks Ducks fall into the same senario. Real available and timeless. Lots of great superhero books if that is your thing that won't break the bank either. Dip in your toes and have fun!

21 hours ago, Reece Markidis said:

If you want a way to look through GA covers all in once place, check out the Gerber guides.  Two volumes: https://www.amazon.com/Photo-Journal-Guide-Comic-Books-Vol/dp/0962332801/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0962332801&pd_rd_r=9ae13a38-f8de-11e8-ad48-374dd6ac57fb&pd_rd_w=PtnYS&pd_rd_wg=20yRZ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=HT0D5KGHGHV6JWTFWE53&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HT0D5KGHGHV6JWTFWE53

Thank you everyone for the advice and replies! Can't wait to dig in, I'm mainly just collect and if something ends up going up in price its a added bonus. I'm usually stingy and wont sell any books unless I'm in dire need for cash. My main focus is in DC golden age, but I also have a high interest in WW2 covers. "Buy War Bonds!" just love it. (Also interested in more "controversial" covers) I'm not worried about condition since it's expected to almost always be a lower grade, just would like a nice looking cover. Thanks again everyone! If there's any books that come to mind that I described, give me a shout!

Some great advice in this thread, I really can’t add much more but just dive on in.  There are always wonderful sales threads here, maybe check some of those out.......

....but don’t get bit by that pesky Timely bug.  It’s a sickness you’ll never get over.

11 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Some great advice in this thread, I really can’t add much more but just dive on in.  There are always wonderful sales threads here, maybe check some of those out.......

....but don’t get bit by that pesky Timely bug.  It’s a sickness you’ll never get over.

Timelys :luhv:

17 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

haha i'll try not too! Thanks for the advice

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Timely, ...what are those? :whistle: