• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Funeral Pyre 1 Error Variant

37 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

SO, CGC's answer was exactly what I theorized, and I have been vindicated. @Lazyboy and @ygogolak I'll accept your apologies in the form of doughnuts.

LOL, wow. You were correct.

So, at what number do they make the change to a blue label? Does everyone who got a green label to that point get to send it back in for a re-holder to a blue label? Maybe they should make some of this stuff public, ya know? "Nahh....we will just make it up as we go."

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:
31 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

SO, CGC's answer was exactly what I theorized, and I have been vindicated. @Lazyboy and @ygogolak I'll accept your apologies in the form of doughnuts.

So, at what number do they make the change to a blue label? Does everyone who got a green label to that point get to send it back in for a re-holder to a blue label? Maybe they should make some of this stuff public, ya know? "Nahh....we will just make it up as we go."

He was not correct. CGC's answer is a steaming pile of :censored:. They have no way of knowing if the number/percentage of error copies is unusual.

Do you really think it's because there are more of them than others or because X number of copies have been submitted? How many green labeled copies of the V: LP error have you seen? Was the first submitted copy assigned a green label?

The V: LP error was deemed to be special solely because that's the issue that got the publicity in the 90s. Thanks again, Wizard!

57 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

He sent them the cert number for the blue label WHITE variant (of which only a tiny handful of copies exist) and they responded by saying the BLACK variant is common enough to warrant a blue label. 

Their explanation makes zero sense. 

13 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

He was not correct. CGC's answer is a steaming pile of :censored:. They have no way of knowing if the number/percentage of error copies is unusual.

Do you really think it's because there are more of them than others or because X number of copies have been submitted? How many green labeled copies of the V: LP error have you seen? Was the first submitted copy assigned a green label?

The V: LP error was deemed to be special solely because that's the issue that got the publicity in the 90s. Thanks again, Wizard!

He said exactly what CGC's response was. I'm not surprised you won't admit it.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

So, what kind of label did the first V: LP 1 error submission get? :popcorn:

Feel free to read anything I've written. It's provided free of charge.

46 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

To be clear, I don't really CARE about this. I just thought it was amusing that I took a guess at CGC's reasoning, and according to their response I apparently pegged it. Stay tuned and I'll also provide the winning Powerball numbers for this weekend's drawing!

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

To be clear, I don't really CARE about this. I just thought it was amusing that I took a guess at CGC's reasoning, and according to their response I apparently pegged it. Stay tuned and I'll also provide the winning Powerball numbers for this weekend's drawing!

giphy.gif  :idea:

On 2/13/2019 at 9:55 AM, Lazyboy said:
On 2/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, F For Fake said:

is it because a book like the black Venom error exists in a large enough number to be considered a true "variant", whereas this Funeral Pyre is more like a one off?

No.

it is a curious double standard.

Yes.

Just more inconsistency.

It's the same kind of inconsistency that they have with the Miracleman "foil" versions. The foil was added decades after the fact, but they get blue labels.

The Venom blacks and whites should be qualified.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:44 PM, maidenmate91 said:

It looks so much better without it!

I agree. That was one of the most disgusting looking holofoil covers to ever hit the market...that and UXM 300. 

33 minutes ago, tigers comics said:

I asked what grade it would receive if I wanted a blue label was told between 5.0-6.0. Qualified grade is a 9.6...

Please ask them how many green labels they gave Lethal Protector before they went to blue.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, F For Fake said:

I have no dog in this race, but is it because a book like the black Venom error exists in a large enough number to be considered a true "variant", whereas this Funeral Pyre is more like a one off? I have no idea, personally, it is a curious double standard. I think the Funeral Pyre cover looks very cool, would love to dig one of those up myself!

Yeah, but there aren't many of the whites around at all. Only two on the census. They are unicorns. 

This is a terrible and disappointing inconsistency on the part of CGC.