• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #4 - Grade Is In!
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Here are some pictures of my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #4. I would appreciate your input on the following: a) grade, b) benefit from pressing?, and c) would you slab it?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Joe Ankenbauer

ASM4-Front.jpg

ASM4-Back.jpg

ASM4-01.JPG

ASM4-02.JPG

ASM4-03.JPG

ASM4-04.JPG

ASM4-05.JPG

ASM4-06.JPG

ASM4-07.JPG

ASM4-08.JPG

ASM4-09.JPG

ASM4-10.JPG

ASM4-11.JPG

ASM4-12.JPG

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

The Marvel Chipping should not detract from the grade...

IMO...VG + 4.5

4.5 VERY GOOD+ (VG): 
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG): 
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple

fairly severe marvel chipping, moderate top edge wear, large accumulation of color breaking creases throughout , discoloration of interior cover, moderate spine wear with small staple tears.

a) CGC 3.5 VG-  that may pass as a 4.0 on a good day

b) no, pressing will not help this grade higher

c) see my answer for FF 12, but yes i'd slab this one as it looks a little fragile.

9 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Back cover has a large water stain...  At what point do water stains no longer matter?  They sure cost my grades plenty...

small stains and mild soiling are acceptable in VG which is what we see on the back spine edge here.  larger size stains and greater penetration into the book is allowable as the grades go down.  In a mid to high grade book, soiling and stains (even small ones) will get hammered hard.  My favorite example is an FF48 CGC 4.5 I almost bought last year that presented like a 7.0 except for a 2"x1" almost imperceptible water stain on the bottom cover.

Edited by davet75