• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature Series for Sketches and Art

9 posts in this topic

Hi There,

Long time lurker but firs time poster!  I had a Sig Series question.

There's a sketch from the esteemed Mr Sternanko on eBay at the moment.  It has no grade but it has a yellow label with some interesting info.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nick-Fury-sketch-by-Jim-Steranko-CGC-SS-original-art/292849599096

I can't find any information on the CGC website regarding this program.  In addition - I was at NYCC this year, and I asked about getting a Alex Maleev sketch witnessed, I was told by a witness employee 'we don't do that".

Is this ebay listing involved with a CGC program that is now defunct?  Or was the employee mistaken?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

P.S.  The Maleev turned out great!  I hope the embedding doesn't cause a problem.

I would have guessed the linked ebay auction was graded under the "lobby card/Photo" submissions but it doesn't have the binder rings on the left side.  I am sure someone with more knowledge can help you but these Steranko sketches are pretty common.  On your other question, which ever employee you spoke with was at best incorrect and I have commissioned sketches many times and picked them up with a witness.

Edited by DougC

3 hours ago, DougC said:

I would have guessed the linked ebay auction was graded under the "lobby card/Photo" submissions but it doesn't have the binder rings on the left side.  I am sure someone with more knowledge can help you but these Steranko sketches are pretty common.  On your other question, which ever employee you spoke with was at best incorrect and I have commissioned sketches many times and picked them up with a witness.

I think that's the new style of the holder. I had a photo sent in last year that had an error on the label and it came back with the binder rings on the side, and when I had it reholdered to fix the mistake it came in a holder like the ebay auction above.

I'm not sure why they changed it up, I really liked having the binder rings.

Hi There thanks for the info.  I can't find any of this info on the CGC website, so this leads me back to the idea that it is longer a service.  Does anyone have an 'official link' where I can get more info and perhaps the forms to be used?

Thx!

Donger,

I can't tell you about the current status of the certified sketch program, but it was valid for several years. I have probably 6 or 7 of them. As you correctly stated, there is no info about certified sketches on the website. And the process was very similar to photo/lobby cards in that (if you were the witness) you filled out all the paperwork with the data and that was what ended up on the Yellow label.  That is why sometimes you will see Sketch of ___________ by (Artist), because if the witness put detail on the form as to what the sketch was, it usually ended up on the label.  It seems like easy money because they don't have to grade anything, so that makes me think they would still have it available, but that is pure supposition. I hope that you track down some info.

Hi Donger,

Welcome to posting on the boards, Donger.

That Maleev sketch is very cool, Donger.

I think the sketch looks great as is, Donger, and sticking it in a yellow label sleeve would only detract from its grandeur, Donger.

Just call/email CGC directly with your questions.

On 12/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, seanfingh said:

Donger,

I can't tell you about the current status of the certified sketch program, but it was valid for several years. I have probably 6 or 7 of them. As you correctly stated, there is no info about certified sketches on the website. And the process was very similar to photo/lobby cards in that (if you were the witness) you filled out all the paperwork with the data and that was what ended up on the Yellow label.  That is why sometimes you will see Sketch of ___________ by (Artist), because if the witness put detail on the form as to what the sketch was, it usually ended up on the label.  It seems like easy money because they don't have to grade anything, so that makes me think they would still have it available, but that is pure supposition. I hope that you track down some info.

I still get them and the last ones were the inner well style with the label like in the past.  I should have my firefly back in a couple of weeks to see what they are using.

CGC does a Yellow label for sketches. They are listed as "Celebrity Standard" on the invoice, but are pretty reasonably priced (about the price of a modern ST). They will fit up to 8 1/2 by 11" sketches and are encased in a thick, somewhat bendable sleeve. Here are a few examples done this year:

RB White WW sketch .jpg

Plastic holder.jpg

RB White sketches.jpg