• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Value question...
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Mods - please point me in the right direction if this has already been answered somewhere else!

I've submitted 7 books so far and each one I've submitted I've guessed at the max value amount.  I don't truly understand what is meant by max value: is it the value of the books after they're slabbed, the value of the books if they were purchased originally at the store, do I look up the value in Overstreet, etc.?

What is, and how do I determine, the max value?!

Thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, Tony Squawk said:

Although there's tiers and stuff, the value declared is more for insurance purposes. You can declare a Hulk 181 is worth $50, but if it gets destroyed will you be happy only getting $50 for it? So declare the max value you are willing to accept if the mail destroys them.

I would also estimate low and CGC will bump you up if they think it's too low. I believe they use GPA to ascertain value.

Good advice and I agree with you but I believe one of your comments needs clarification. CGC may bump you to a higher tier than submitted but I have never heard of them bumping just the max value. Example, if you submit a 1K book in the Standard tier but only declare it at 500.00, CGC will not adjust. However, if you submitted the same book 1K book in a Modern tier, they would bump you to Standard and adjust. 

17 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Good advice and I agree with you but I believe one of your comments needs clarification. CGC may bump you to a higher tier than submitted but I have never heard of them bumping just the max value. Example, if you submit a 1K book in the Standard tier but only declare it at 500.00, CGC will not adjust. However, if you submitted the same book 1K book in a Modern tier, they would bump you to Standard and adjust. 

All things equal, let's say the comics submitted are X-Factor #5 (June 1986) and Marvel Comics Presents #72.  Not monumental submissions but worthy enough of getting slabbed.

Is my determined value based on the comic BEFORE or AFTER it is slabbed?  If it's based on AFTER the book is slabbed, how am I supposed to know if my comic is a 8.2 or 9.2 before I send it in?  Granted a 9.8 opposed to a 5.0 is obvious but what about the 1 point difference comics; the CGC grade essentially determines the value when all is said and done.  So being that I am nowhere near a professional grader, do I just literally guess?

Edited by sagekilz

2 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

I guess there in lays the question: is my determined value based on the comic BEFORE or AFTER it is slabbed?  If it's based on AFTER the book is slabbed, how am I supposed to know if my comic is a 7.2 or 8.5?  The CGC grade essentially determines the value when all is said and done.  So being that I am nowhere near a professional grader, do I just literally guess?

Any insurance for the shipping to CGC is on you. After arrival, the book is insured while at CGC and for the return shipping. So, IMO, you should insure based on the estimated grade in the slab. As mentioned by others, don't over estimate. An over estimate will result in an over payment. With the exception of a Walk through tier, CGC will not adjust the the value down, only up. There is no broad based analyitic answer or even a Rule of Thumb to give you. Put what you are comfortable with. As you start to see the grades returned from your submissions you will get a better feel for what to estimate.

12 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

All things equal, let's say the comics submitted are X-Factor #5 (June 1986) and Marvel Comics Presents #72.  Not monumental submissions but worthy enough of getting slabbed.

Is my determined value based on the comic BEFORE or AFTER it is slabbed?  If it's based on AFTER the book is slabbed, how am I supposed to know if my comic is a 8.2 or 9.2 before I send it in?  Granted a 9.8 opposed to a 5.0 is obvious but what about the 1 point difference comics; the CGC grade essentially determines the value when all is said and done.  So being that I am nowhere near a professional grader, do I just literally guess?

Don't get too hung up on the value.  You don't know what the final grade will be, prices fluctuate every time a book sells, and ultimately you're sending books to CGC to determine a grade and the corresponding value.  CGC won't blink or care if you value an X-Factor 5 at $20 or $400

31 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Don't get too hung up on the value.  You don't know what the final grade will be, prices fluctuate every time a book sells, and ultimately you're sending books to CGC to determine a grade and the corresponding value.  CGC won't blink or care if you value an X-Factor 5 at $20 or $400

59 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Any insurance for the shipping to CGC is on you. After arrival, the book is insured while at CGC and for the return shipping. So, IMO, you should insure based on the estimated grade in the slab. As mentioned by others, don't over estimate. An over estimate will result in an over payment. With the exception of a Walk through tier, CGC will not adjust the the value down, only up. There is no broad based analyitic answer or even a Rule of Thumb to give you. Put what you are comfortable with. As you start to see the grades returned from your submissions you will get a better feel for what to estimate.

Thank you both for the information and insight, it is extremely appreciated!

I sent in an Action #28 Detroit Trolley copy several years ago.  I was thinking it would grade a 6.0  CGC gave it a 7.0, then called me to let me know I owed the balance, to bring it up to the next tier.  I paid the balance over the phone, and we were good.   

They won't notify you if you overpay so, keep that in mind.  

9 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

By max value, does GCG mean Max Value unslabbed or Max Value slabbed?

I believe the value is used for reimbursement if something bad happens. so I usually put the value I want back if the comic is lost or damaged.