• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM-Restored ASM #1

35 posts in this topic

Also, while the blue (Universal) grade is far preferable to the purple (Restored) or green (Qualified), the purple still has value. Someone buying a CGC'd restored comic knows exactly what happened to the book. A book that a seller claims is restored has nothing verified. So buyers in general will pay more for a purple label than for an unslabbed restored book.

Assuming the presence of restoration has been disclosed to the buyer, of course.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, oldrover said:

Also, while the blue (Universal) grade is far preferable to the purple (Restored) or green (Qualified), the purple still has value. Someone buying a CGC'd restored comic knows exactly what happened to the book. A book that a seller claims is restored has nothing verified. So buyers in general will pay more for a purple label than for an unslabbed restored book.

Assuming the presence of restoration has been disclosed to the buyer, of course. 

got another odd question...

Obviously there are collectors out there that wont even consider A restored comic...

but there is clearly some who will...

what would be more PREFERRED ....An Amazing Spider Man #1 with No cover at all........Or A low grade restored Amazing Spider-Man #1 like mine?

would certain collectors rather have an AM#1 with no cover at all so they could then add A cover ...

Or would adding a cover to A coverless AM#1 then Make It A restored comic, therefor they'd rather have a restored AM#1(like Mine) with the ORIGINAL cover?

I hope you understand what I'm saying

3 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

got another odd question...

Obviously there are collectors out there that wont even consider A restored comic...

but there is clearly some who will...

what would be more PREFERRED ....An Amazing Spider Man #1 with No cover at all........Or A low grade restored Amazing Spider-Man #1 like mine?

would certain collectors rather have an AM#1 with no cover at all so they could then add A cover ...

Or would adding a cover to A coverless AM#1 then Make It A restored comic, therefor they'd rather have a restored AM#1(like Mine) with the ORIGINAL cover?

I hope you understand what I'm saying

I do. And IMHO the low grade restored is much better than the coverless. IIRC the coverless with reprint cover gets an NG grade from CGC. (‘No Grade’)

10 hours ago, oldrover said:

I do. And IMHO the low grade restored is much better than the coverless. IIRC the coverless with reprint cover gets an NG grade from CGC. (‘No Grade’) 

thanks...

what about if someone put real cover on instead of a reprint...

Like lets say, someone had a coverless AM1 that was actually in decent shape.....

and Then Bought ONLY An Original AM1 cover?

obviously CGC would be able to tell....but would adding An Real Cover be better than A Reprint....and would that then make it a RESTORED AM1 or still a No Grade?

15 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

thanks...

what about if someone put real cover on instead of a reprint...

Like lets say, someone had a coverless AM1 that was actually in decent shape.....

and Then Bought ONLY An Original AM1 cover?

obviously CGC would be able to tell....but would adding An Real Cover be better than A Reprint....and would that then make it a RESTORED AM1 or still a No Grade?

It would be a green label... Qualified. 

2 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

thanks

last question.....know any sites that talks about or explains Restoration Removal and how its done?

I know places that DO it. CGC has done very well by me. Explaining it... I have no idea. Are you looking to do it yourself? 

It's always good to get one of the pros opinions at the very least.  Resto removal for this comic might be pricey and the grade will go WAAAAY down.

Because it has extensive resto, I wouldn't have resto removal done (although that upper left corner looks pretty bad).  Maybe a resto "re-do"?

Or perhaps go the other route and have a tiny bit more color touch done to it.   By the Human Torch's head and the letter "S".  A little more color touch would probably raise the grade half a grade and wouldn't cost much.

yeah I am kind of in a situation that's similar but I had my returned from CGC with resto but i'll resend it in to CCS to have a look to see if they can remove the resto as I see a 2.5 book SS has a significant price gap on GPA from a restored SS book.

89E290E4-09B4-4489-A2B4-9237F3094444.thumb.jpeg.5f549f92feab4f5437772c1a678a6428.jpg

15 hours ago, oldrover said:

I know places that DO it. CGC has done very well by me. Explaining it... I have no idea. Are you looking to do it yourself? 

actually ya....

I'm not looking touch my ASM #1 or anything with that kind of restoration...

But I do have a few comics that as I said earlier have Slight Color touch.

I've got some comics that are in excellent shape, probably 8.0 or higher....but have maybe 1 or 2 Tiny color breaks on the spine and it looks like someone used markers to color touch the breaks....

most of the the color breaks are only centimeters....

I was thinking maybe something like this could be easily removed....and I was hoping there might be sites out there that show or explain how to remove amateur restoration where someone used Markers ...

Obviously I wouldnt even attempt to remove it if The Books had A ton of Color touch with Markers, But most of the ones I've found are literally TINY Color breaks on the spine where they used markers to color touch

3 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

I was thinking maybe something like this could be easily removed....and I was hoping there might be sites out there that show or explain how to remove amateur restoration where someone used Markers ...

Others can comment on this better than I, but I believe amateur marker touch is nigh unto impossible to remove, as it seeps through the paper.