• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Databases and collecting advice

1 post in this topic

A noob collector when it comes to CGC purchases. Used to collect comics buy going to the local comic book store buying a comic reading it then putting it back in the sleeve and storing it. However I started to get into collecting comics that are CGC graded and I have some noob general questions.

1)Often times on eBay sellers mention that a particular CGC comic is limited in quantity such as there are only 100 signed or there are only 20 that are graded 9.8 or only 100 that were made and that are 9.8 is there a way to verify this such as a credible data base?

2)I am mostly interested in buying comics in the bronze and modern as I think the majority are within my budget. How does one go about choosing a comic from this era that will have long term appreciation of hold its value? Currently I just buy the ones I remember enjoying reading them from before or if the cover art looks awesome. 

3)Recently I see a lot of cool amazing Spider-Man variants for example, I see a lot of cool S. Campbell variants with his signature, sometimes its signed by S. Campbell only, sometimes its signed by both S. Campbell and Stan Lee does it matter long term for appreciation or get either one? I noticed the ones signed by Stan also are much more expensive even though the writer and penciling were done by someone else. Or if everyone involved with the comic signs it the price goes to the roof. 

This is a very fun hobby and I have many more questions but I don’t want to create such long posts. Appreciate the guidance and thank you in advance.