• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Submission Results!

20 posts in this topic

So I just went through the process of submitting for the first time. I submitted 11 books into the Modern tier. I've heard everywhere that CGC grades the strictest, and I was worried my books would come back far under expectations since almost all books I've submitted have been read and had some color breaking. So today they were marked shipped/safe and the grades came in...…. to my surprise they were all graded far higher than expected! One was graded 7 (I expected this because it was clearly no where near mint), 1 was a 9.2, 2 were 9.6, and 7 were 9.8. I am over all ecstatic that they were pretty much all graded NM, but I only have a problem with one grade, and that's the 9.2. It was ASM 361 (1st app Carnage) The comic in my eyes was nearly perfect, it looked far better than 3 of the 9.8s, the spine was flawless, no color breaks. I expected it to get around a 9.6 and the three 9.8s mentioned to get 9.2. I shouldn't person_without_enough_empathy at all because this overall has been way beyond my expectations after reading so many people post "HAHA wait till you get your 1st submission back and have your eyes opened clearing your rose colored lenses" Is there any chance to get grading notes on the 9.2? The only one I can see notes on is the 7, all others don't have a note link. Also has anyone had positive results cracking a slab and getting it pressed and regraded? Moral of the story is I must have horrible grading eyes lol  Just wanted to share my 1st experience, overall things are great, fingers crossed for future slabbings! 

I’m pretty sure you can get the notes.

4 hours ago, Reece Markidis said:

So I just went through the process of submitting for the first time. I submitted 11 books into the Modern tier. I've heard everywhere that CGC grades the strictest, and I was worried my books would come back far under expectations since almost all books I've submitted have been read and had some color breaking. So today they were marked shipped/safe and the grades came in...…. to my surprise they were all graded far higher than expected! One was graded 7 (I expected this because it was clearly no where near mint), 1 was a 9.2, 2 were 9.6, and 7 were 9.8. I am over all ecstatic that they were pretty much all graded NM, but I only have a problem with one grade, and that's the 9.2. It was ASM 361 (1st app Carnage) The comic in my eyes was nearly perfect, it looked far better than 3 of the 9.8s, the spine was flawless, no color breaks. I expected it to get around a 9.6 and the three 9.8s mentioned to get 9.2. I shouldn't person_without_enough_empathy at all because this overall has been way beyond my expectations after reading so many people post "HAHA wait till you get your 1st submission back and have your eyes opened clearing your rose colored lenses" Is there any chance to get grading notes on the 9.2? The only one I can see notes on is the 7, all others don't have a note link. Also has anyone had positive results cracking a slab and getting it pressed and regraded? Moral of the story is I must have horrible grading eyes lol  Just wanted to share my 1st experience, overall things are great, fingers crossed for future slabbings! 

Don't crack and resub without getting the notes first. Show us the book, #361, maybe we can see something.

There are too many people that think their brother's book is perfect and get PO'd when CGC gives it a 7.0.

I've been amateur grading for a few months and still don't know jack-s^&*.

I'm glad that you're (mostly) happy with your first submission. Being pessimistic in this case is the best scenario. CGC is typically tough and consistent. Remember that the cover isn't the only condition that matters to the grade. That could be the key to the 9.2 grade.

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

There are too many people that think their brother's book is perfect and get PO'd when CGC gives it a 7.0.

I've been amateur grading for a few months and still don't know jack-s^&*.

I'm glad that you're (mostly) happy with your first submission. Being pessimistic in this case is the best scenario. CGC is typically tough and consistent. Remember that the cover isn't the only condition that matters to the grade. That could be the key to the 9.2 grade.

Very true man, I'll have to get the graders notes and see whats wrong. I'm not too bent out of shape because I was expecting a lot worse over all.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:05 PM, Reece Markidis said:

lmao they censored my curse word. I didn't know they did that. 

I tried to use my profanity words: person_without_enough_empathy individual_without_enough_empathy mess but other words are considered insulting and repression that are showing. I preferred not showing discouraged words here.

Edited by JollyComics

My first two submissions(Silver Age) to CGC went very well. However, after that, things got tougher for a while until I learned. I think we pick out our BEST books to submit first and may get good results. It's when you start submitting those secondary,'not sure' books that it gets more challenging.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

My first two submissions(Silver Age) to CGC went very well. However, after that, things got tougher for a while until I learned. I think we pick out our BEST books to submit first and may get good results. It's when you start submitting those secondary,'not sure' books that it gets more challenging.

Good point! What if CGC grades higher on first submissions to get your hopes up and gets you to come back, but after that they grade normally and tear you a new one. I smell a conspiracy lol 

15 minutes ago, Reece Markidis said:

Good point! What if CGC grades higher on first submissions to get your hopes up and gets you to come back, but after that they grade normally and tear you a new one. I smell a conspiracy lol 

It's funny you say that because I remember thinking conspiracy thoughts early on also. I was sure they were picking on me LOL !  Knowing a lot more about the process now, I don't think they pick on Newbies. My conspiracy thoughts now are about them giving the nod to the big submitters. In theory, the graders know nothing about the submission behind the book they are looking at. To me, that's the foundation for the integrity of the whole process. I trust it's true.  

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's funny you say that because I remember thinking conspiracy thoughts early on also. I was sure they were picking on me LOL !  Knowing a lot more about the process now, I don't think they pick on Newbies. My conspiracy thoughts now are about them giving the nod to the big submitters. In theory, the graders know nothing about the submission behind the book they are looking at. To me, that's the foundation for the integrity of the whole process. I trust it's true.  

Oh yea, I totally forgot the graders don't know whose books they're grading. I would love to watch the full process on what they do. 

6 hours ago, Reece Markidis said:

Oh yea, I totally forgot the graders don't know whose books they're grading. I would love to watch the full process on what they do. 

As would I, even a photo of the grading room would be nice... A full episode of 'how it's made' or something like that would be very cool.

5 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

As would I, even a photo of the grading room would be nice... A full episode of 'how it's made' or something like that would be very cool.

Yes, that would be a nice addition to the website. I's actually pretty amazing how much we(CGC customers) accept on good faith.  They are not a very transparent company. I hope we don't find out someday that it was all smoke and mirrors.  

3 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Is it forbidden (a secret)?

Is what a secret, the grading room ? Probably not officially, but I've never seen any pics. I don't think they allow any one inside under the guise of insurance reasons. I've heard of some getting a tour. I think Roy said he has been inside. 

17 hours ago, Dan82 said:

Yea thatd be awesome! They should just make a video of at least one comic going through the whole process. They probably have their "secrets" that they don't want their competitive businesses (CBCS/PGX) to know. Even though I'm sure it's a pretty similar process.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:10 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 12/7/2018 at 6:58 PM, Dan82 said:

Yes, that would be a nice addition to the website. I's actually pretty amazing how much we(CGC customers) accept on good faith.  They are not a very transparent company. I hope we don't find out someday that it was all smoke and mirrors.  

I am pretty sure it's not all smoke and mirrors, especially since I heard the oversized dartboard is the main component as it's front and center in their grading room.  :gossip:  lol