• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Posting on CAF too soon
1 1

54 posts in this topic

I generally post on CAF for my own personal reference. It’s a way for me too look at and enjoy my art at a glance during the week when my wanders that way. 

I was called out one time over this past year by a CAF member, “OMG you are posting this and the auction just finished” 

I do post quick sometimes but that’s because it’s easy to use auction house scans which in some cases are above my capacity. Also details are fresh in my mind if there are some on how I obtained the art and what not. Details I write at the time are likely to escape me should I wait too long. Furthermore the posting date is pretty close to my purchase date and years later it’s a good record for me.

My question is, well is there a too soon time frame to post? Obviously before you’ve won but that’s not the case. Is it cool to wait a year so it’s not fresh in people’s minds. 

Just curious cause I don’t want to look like a pompous azz which that guy must think I am.

Once you complete a deal for a piece either completed paying for it or with a trade the other person has received the piece in trade is when you can post. I know one collector that thinks its bad luck to post art before he has received it. With HA I usually don't wait til I have received the artwork to post it, many times I wait until I have a few auction wins for HA to ship them to me.

who cares what someone else says. DO what you like. I think having the art in hand is the earliest-- I've had art lost in the mail so I wait until I'm looking at the art!

I've also had guys back out of deals even after we both say done deal. Again I'd wait until in hand, but that's me. 

Anytime you like, once your deal is completed is fine. 

3 minutes ago, artcollector9 said:

who cares what someone else says. DO what you like. I think having the art in hand is the earliest-- I've had art lost in the mail so I wait until I'm looking at the art!

I've also had guys back out of deals even after we both say done deal. Again I'd wait until in hand, but that's me. 

Good points to consider for sure.(thumbsu

8 minutes ago, artcollector9 said:

yeah, +1.  I don't typically post at least until I have it in hand, but that is more superstition than anything.

Malvin

I don’t think the comment had malicious intent. I also don’t think a comment should affect how you use CAF or appreciate your art. 

To answer your question, if from an auction house, right away as you did it is fine, to me. If a transaction with someone else, once in hand is probably best. I’ve had multiple people back out on pieces I’ve paid for in full, have signed up for timed payments on, they have committed to buy or even put a deposit on. I find the people in this hobby generally nice, but I’ve also had my fair share of bad apples. Twice this year I’ve sold pieces to cover new ones CAFers have promised to me, only for them to change their mind despite their promises and guarantees. Not the best!

7 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I don’t think the comment had malicious intent. I also don’t think a comment should affect how you use CAF or appreciate your art. 

To answer your question, if from an auction house, right away as you did it is fine, to me. If a transaction with someone else, once in hand is probably best. I’ve had multiple people back out on pieces I’ve paid for in full, have signed up for timed payments on, they have committed to buy or even put a deposit on. I find the people in this hobby generally nice, but I’ve also had my fair share of bad apples. Twice this year I’ve sold pieces to cover new ones CAFers have promised to me, only for them to change their mind despite their promises and guarantees. Not the best!

Ouch!

I use CAF the same way you do.

There are several other collectors who post items minutes after auctions end.

Several folks on here agree-Malvin took the words out my mouth(I would like my words back at some point Malvin)- there's nothing wrong with the way you've been doing it. There's no CAF police or law in this regard anyway. You do whatever floats your proverbial boat brother.

Personally, I never post until I have something in hand just in case something goes sideways either in the transaction or due to postal calamity.

I currently have one piece I haven't listed because it needs some restoration. And another I fear won't make it intact because it tooks a two week side trip to Puerto Rico. 

20 minutes ago, Kohei said:

I use CAF the same way you do.

There are several other collectors who post items minutes after auctions end.

Several folks on here agree-Malvin took the words out my mouth(I would like my words back at some point Malvin)- there's nothing wrong with the way you've been doing it. There's no CAF police or law in this regard anyway. You do whatever floats your proverbial boat brother.

Personally, I never post until I have something in hand just in case something goes sideways either in the transaction or due to postal calamity.

I currently have one piece I haven't listed because it needs some restoration. And another I fear won't make it intact because it tooks a two week side trip to Puerto Rico. 

Good heavens, I should be counting my lucky stars. Seems there’s a lot of horror stories of MIA art and the occasional nailbiters. 

14 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Good heavens, I should be counting my lucky stars. Seems there’s a lot of horror stories of MIA art and the occasional nailbiters. 

Don't even get anyone started on commission pieces.

3 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

With HA I usually don't wait til I have received the artwork to post it, many times I wait until I have a few auction wins for HA to ship them to me.

Presumably you've already paid HA.  But then you're saying HA will hold pieces over some period of time (e.g. a month or longer) and only send them once you give them the go ahead ?? 

I'm actually surprised they would even do that.  They must have hundreds of pieces going in and out every week.  I'd worry about my stuff getting mixed up with others.

Out of curiosity, what is your purpose?  Reduce waste (packaging)? Save on shipping costs?  They figure in the shipping as soon as the auction is done so do they recalculate shipping when combining your items? 

40 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Presumably you've already paid HA.  But then you're saying HA will hold pieces over some period of time (e.g. a month or longer) and only send them once you give them the go ahead ?? 

I'm actually surprised they would even do that.  They must have hundreds of pieces going in and out every week.  I'd worry about my stuff getting mixed up with others.

Out of curiosity, what is your purpose?  Reduce waste (packaging)? Save on shipping costs?  They figure in the shipping as soon as the auction is done so do they recalculate shipping when combining your items? 

I have it shipped to a third party so it cuts down on the packages they have to handle.

Once your payment has been made or clears you are the owner and can do with it as you please no matter where the physical piece is.  Even if the piece is lost or stolen after shipping, keep the image up on CAF with all the details so others can be made aware and be on the lookout.

4 hours ago, Kohei said:

Don't even get anyone started on commission pieces.

Its not a prize I like winning, but I have paid for published art from an artists and he hasn't shipped.

It's been almost 6 months so today I decided to offer an payment if he ships (after I receive it of course)

Malvin

7 hours ago, Will_K said:

They will hold items and consolidate. If you bid on several auctions - they can combine the items so you pay shipping only once. For those who are not impatiant it saves funds. And less headaches with shipping companies. As each shipment is stressful - there are less shipments this way. Clink also offers this.

Most of the time I try not to post anything until it's physically here with me (you can be tempting fate by acting prematurely).  Sometimes I'll post art that's on its way to me fully-tracked via trusted mailing outfits I have 100% faith in.