• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Where are all the Ditko DR STRANGE pages?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

One big reason that people may not think about when searching for them is that, compared to Spider-man pages, there were far far less produced. 

The Strange Tales stories were shorter in length (usually 8-10 pages as opposed to 20-22 for ASM stories) and a good chunk of the Dr. Strange Ditko stories were inked by George Bell, changing the look from the more desirable "all-Ditko" pencil and ink work.

I did the math at one point of every page produced there were over 900 All Ditko Spider-man pages (including pin ups and annuals) and something like 289 All Ditko Dr. Strange pages produced. I have to double check my numbers but that's what I remember.

So before we even get into what happened to them since, lost, destroyed, not properly stored, etc. the starting point was more than 3-1 of Spider-man pages created to Dr. Strange pages created. 

Edited by comix4fun

11 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

One big reason that people may not think about when searching for them is that, compared to Spider-man pages, there were far far less produced. 

The Strange Tales stories were shorter in length (usually 8 pages as opposed to 20-22 for ASM stories) and a good chunk of the Dr. Strange Ditko stories were inked by George Bell, changing the look from the more desirable "all-Ditko" pencil and ink work.

I did the math at one point of every page produced there were over 900 All Ditko Spider-man pages (including pin ups and annuals) and something like 289 All Ditko Dr. Strange pages produced. I have to double check my numbers but that's what I remember.

So before we even get into what happened to them since, lost, destroyed, not properly stored, etc. the starting point was more than 3-1 of Spider-man pages created to Dr. Strange pages created. 

What do you think is the ratio of value of a Ditko/Ditko to a Ditko/Bell?

Just now, Weird Paper said:

What do you think is the ratio of value of a Ditko/Ditko to a Ditko/Bell?

Really depends on the page and how Bell did on it. I've seen good and bad Bell. 

It's probably around 1/2 of an all Ditko page for pages with similarly attractive story elements and characters. 

14 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Really depends on the page and how Bell did on it. I've seen good and bad Bell. 

It's probably around 1/2 of an all Ditko page for pages with similarly attractive story elements and characters. 

That seems right on the money with Heritage results. 1 D/D at 65k, 1 D/B at 33.

I guess this has been true for years. When I started looking for one in 1993 it took years to see any actually for sale.  I think people hold on to them (unless in need of cash) or trade them since they feel so rare. I don' think the population has gotten any larger, you just need to "bite" when you see one or pay the price of not seeing another for several years.

I heard from a well-placed source that Ditko did not have many, if any, classic Marvel pages in his possession when he died, so do not expect a flood of Ditko DS pages to suddenly appear on the market, or be consigned to a Heritage estate sale auction.

23 minutes ago, Grant Turner said:

I don’t even really see any in anyone’s collection either. Over the last couple of years I’ve seen maybe 2 or 3. Does somebody own a whole bunch and is just quietly sitting on them? Did they not survive the 60’s? 

I only have my one page, it's been posted in my CAF since 2005. Since it was posted so long ago not many people notice it. I also have a crappy scan since it was from 13 years ago. Before I found it, I had looked high and low for a decade before that time to find it. 

You don't see many at all pop up at public sale at all...no where near as many times as you see ASM pages. 

Edited by comix4fun

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I went to CAF and found 10 pages. So where did the other 279 go? Plenty of Kirby Strange Tales pages out there. Probably even more Bill Everett Dr Strange pages than Ditko pages.

It’s a mystery...

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The Strange Tales stories were shorter in length (usually 8 pages as opposed to 20-22 for ASM stories) and a good chunk of the Dr. Strange Ditko stories were inked by George Bell, changing the look from the more desirable "all-Ditko" pencil and ink work.

Not to be too pedantic here, and your main point is still accurate, but while some Ditko Dr. Strange stories were 8 or even 5 pages long, most Ditko Dr. Strange stories were 10 pages.

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Not that I'm in any way a serious buyer, but if I was, all the Bell inked pages would not be a consideration.  It has to be all Ditko or not at all.  That would limit the choices (for me) even more.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, Scott, as I would also prefer Ditko on Ditko. And I am not an unbiased source as I own a page, but since Ditko and Bell (Roussos)  both studied under Mort Meskin, their styles at least compliment each other.  Unlike Kirby and  Bell/Roussos, which was usually a horror show.

53 minutes ago, Grant Turner said:

I went to CAF and found 10 pages. So where did the other 279 go? Plenty of Kirby Strange Tales pages out there. Probably even more Bill Everett Dr Strange pages than Ditko pages.

It’s a mystery...

The following is a post I made on this subject a couple of years ago: "Shortly before the original artwork was returned to the artists, Marvel still held, according to the inventory list, over 84% of Ditko's Spider-Man art. But in a brief span of time in the early/mid 1980s, so many pages were taken from inventory that Ditko got back less than 7% of his Spider-Man pages. Absolute best case scenario for Ditko is that he got back 61 pages of Spider-Man original art (I'm including the first two annuals as well) and worst case scenario is 57 pages. Information is more scarce on Ditko Dr. Strange art, but I estimate he got back all but 76-96 pages." So roughly 800 Ditko Spider-Man pages but fewer than 100 Dr. Strange pages are "out there." 

Mike

6 minutes ago, mxs7 said:

Not to be too pedantic here, and your main point is still accurate, but while some Ditko Dr. Strange stories were 8 or even 5 pages long, most Ditko Dr. Strange stories were 10 pages.

Mike

Pedantic is ok in this situation. lol

You're right. The point was that, at their longest, the Dr. Strange stories were 1/2 the length or less than the ASM standard stories. It seemed like there must be more given the length of the run in issues. 

This is just an old man with the flu babbling  but I think 6-7 stories are broken up and "out there," with pages from 113, 125, 127, 129, 131 and 141 available over the years.  I think Ditko got a few stories back.  I always liked his Dr Strange stuff -- it was even weirder than Spidey and there's that whole odd Caniff riff he does in the 130s.  Shame he didn't do covers to those books sometimes. 

I'm really wondering if Ditko's returned artwork will appear on the market at some point or if the family is planning to donate it somewhere.  Even rarer than Dr. Strange would be art from Shade, the Changing Man.  I've never seen a page in 20+ years of collecting.

i would assume Steve Ditko had a good amount of doctor strange pages in his office along with some spiderman stuff. He had said once that he had kept a good amount of those 5 page sci fi and horror stories he did for stan... wonder if they will ever hit the market...hm 

6 hours ago, Aliens said:

i would assume Steve Ditko had a good amount of doctor strange pages in his office along with some spiderman stuff. He had said once that he had kept a good amount of those 5 page sci fi and horror stories he did for stan... wonder if they will ever hit the market...hm 

I was told that all of that stuff was not there when they looked in his office after he died. Unless he had it stored somewhere else, or gave it away.

9 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I was told that all of that stuff was not there when they looked in his office after he died. Unless he had it stored somewhere else, or gave it away.

that would have been a very ditko thing to do. i loved him lol