• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the lowest grade of PQ you will consider ?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Depends highly on how scarce the book is that I am purchasing, but normally cream to off-white.

Cream/ow is Most popular choice so far. I’ve bought brittle at times for reasons above along with financial and I haven’t been disappointed to date. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

C/OW

ofc I'd prefer OW or better but with GA you can't afford to be too picky.

agreed 100%. The last few years I have settled for a few tough books with slightly less desirable PQ, but it really doesn't bug me too much. If I had passed on those books, I'd still be looking/waiting for copies. As long as there isn't any brittle page fragments floating in the mylar or slab, I am generally OK with it on super tough books. 

I have a Stan Lee signed Cap 22 that has light tan to off white pages, but beyond THAT, I stick to c/ow or better if it stays in the slab, ow or better if I'm cracking it out for the most part. Some books, like Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly, basically ALL have really low pq, so ya get what ya can in that regard. 

I’m at C/OW.  In the past I’ve bought SB books.  I’m the type of collector that from time to time will pull a few books out of my collection to fund a larger purchase.  I had a Torch 1 with SB PQ that was graded 3.0.  Had great eye appeal.  I had a difficult time finding a buyer even though it was a big book.

47 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m at C/OW.  In the past I’ve bought SB books.  I’m the type of collector that from time to time will pull a few books out of my collection to fund a larger purchase.  I had a Torch 1 with SB PQ that was graded 3.0.  Had great eye appeal.  I had a difficult time finding a buyer even though it was a big book.

Been there. 

8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

this is way better                                                                                    than that....

Image result for cream              Image result for tan

Unfortunately that second image also appears cover trimmed. 

I know I’m in the minority as a newer collector/board member with my opinion on this, but if I can get an otherwise 10k as a 9.2 awesome classic cover book... as a brittle 0.5 or 1.0 or better that looks good in a slab for $100-200...I’m all over that.

I have a few of these now that look great to show off to non comic savvy company.  No fear that they’ll get stolen or fade and lose value if left in the light out on display. 

CR-OW, but like many others I will dip into the slightly brittle if it is a book that I could not afford otherwise or if it is a real bargain.  I've got a Human Torch 21 that was slightly brittle but it still looks good and I thought for 40 then I could be really careful when reading it.

For GA, C/OW, but I've purchased slightly brittle books from the owner who had them slabbed and said the pages were supple. I've also had light tan to off white that, once taken from the slab, looked no different than cream to off white. Truly brittle books are a pass. I used to buy them as a kid when they were sometimes the only GA I could afford, and pieces would fall out of the book every time you tried to pick it up.