• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2018 is coming next month

20 posts in this topic

Best of 2018 is coming…….

Best of will start January 5th for entries and voting on the 14th

Best of 2018 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)
You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:
Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Splashes, Pin-Ups
Published Interior Panel pages
Published Strip Art
Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)
Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Best Published Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

3 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

I think this was discussed last year -  but you should break it down further - either by era or by value.  Comparing a $1000 item to a $10000 item etc.. is not a great comparison.  Or comparing a silver age page to a modern age page, etc..

I agree. No way will I be able to compete against the heavy hitters who will post a bunch of mind blowing stuff. 

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

I think this was discussed last year -  but you should break it down further - either by era or by value.  Comparing a $1000 item to a $10000 item etc.. is not a great comparison.  Or comparing a silver age page to a modern age page, etc..

This subject always comes up. There is no way to break down value, what would be the cut off point and how do you know how much the owner spent (or value if traded). Same with eras, what are the years. Besides everyone has his or her own likes. Some like just modern others are Silver Age or even DC verses Marvel. I have been doing the Best of for almost 20 years and found the type of art is the best way to break it down. Besides this is a way to share are that many may have missed over the previous year.

So, covers is only comic art covers?  or any illustrated cover?

So, paperback covers, rpg covers (asking for a friend), Dragon Magazine Covers?

In the past I think i've put those in the "other" category, but given you don't qualify "comic" i'm starting to think otherwise.

1 hour ago, malvin said:

yes, although there is some flexibility.  Since the start is in Jan, first few days of Jan you could just say 2018

Malvin

"paid for" vs "received" in 2018 where 2017 or 2019 respectively could apply. Of course, mostly, this about the honor system anyway. I could whip out something ridiculous from 1996 that cost about three zeroes less than it would today and who would know if I've never previously shared it? (That would be about 95% of my collection.) That's the honor system right there and I think it works pretty good.

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

So, covers is only comic art covers?  or any illustrated cover?

So, paperback covers, rpg covers (asking for a friend), Dragon Magazine Covers?

In the past I think i've put those in the "other" category, but given you don't qualify "comic" i'm starting to think otherwise.

Since Comicartfans is concentrated on art from comic books the main categories refer to comic book/strip art. But Bill doesn't limit the type of art posted so the Other category was created for the non-comic art and stuff their just doesn't fit in those. 

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Since Comicartfans is concentrated on art from comic books the main categories refer to comic book/strip art. But Bill doesn't limit the type of art posted so the Other category was created for the non-comic art and stuff their just doesn't fit in those. 

Thanks, I didn't know if it has changed since you guys took over ix as well.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:31 AM, Brian Peck said:

Best of 2018 is coming…….

Best of will start January 5th for entries and voting on the 14th

Best of 2018 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)
You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:
Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Splashes, Pin-Ups
Published Interior Panel pages
Published Strip Art
Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)
Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Best Published Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Question. What category does a cover to a comic book that has not been published yet (but will likely come out in January after the contest) fall into? Published, or unpublished?

13 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Question. What category does a cover to a comic book that has not been published yet (but will likely come out in January after the contest) fall into? Published, or unpublished?

If it has been or will be scheduled to be published then its in the Published Cover category. Unpublished Covers are usually rejected covers that were never scheduled to be published.

6 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

I am ready! Sadly, I have six pieces to fit in five spots so though the first four are in like Flynn, the fifth spot may change right up to the last minute. Of course, I'm assuming nothing major for Christmas. :)

The 5th selection for Best of is always the hardest