• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger Key: ASM 3 or 14
3 3

51 posts in this topic

I'd go with #3.  Earlier issue and personally I find the cover much more appealing than #14.  There's only 1 Otto Octavius while there's been multiple incarnations of the Green Goblin.  I'd say go for who you like better as a villain if it's for your personal collection regardless of value since they are pretty close anyway and you really can't go wrong with either one.

24 minutes ago, Bird said:

I was in a very crammed shop today, no prices on anything as the owner looks each book up on ebay/mcs and then gives you a price, with 20% off of course. In the corner were about 5 slabs and one was a ASM 3 CGC 0.5! He wants $400 for it, or around $400 he said. I may just go get it soon. hm I have to see why it is a 0.5 first!

It’s probably a 0.5 because it’s missing the pin-up which doesn’t affect the story. 

1 minute ago, Keys_Collector said:

I'd go with #3.  Earlier issue and personally I find the cover much more appealing than #14.  There's only 1 Otto Octavius while there's been multiple incarnations of the Green Goblin.  I'd say go for who you like better as a villain if it's for your personal collection regardless of value since they are pretty close anyway and you really can't go wrong with either one.

This is a much closer contest than I anticipated. I thought #3 would be a clear winner.

My current copy of #3 is missing the pin-up and my #14 is about a 2.0 but complete. I’d like to upgrade both but I may only be able to afford one.

I would say #3.  To the extent that the movies drive the characters' popularity, Doc Ock came across much better on film than the Goblin.  I never liked the rigid plastic / metal mask they used in that first Spidey movie -- with Ock you got to see Alfred Molina actually play the character, and he was great.

If they ever reboot the Goblin in the movies, they really need to use makeup, prosthetics, and/or CGI to let us actually see the actor's face moving and speaking.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 12/6/2018 at 2:21 PM, Cliff R. said:

Talk him down. You can get a VG copy for twice that. See if he has a coverless #3. I need one. :bigsmile:

Can you please let me know where I can get an ASM 3 raw or graded VG copy for only $800?! lol My CGC 3.0 recently sold at auction for $1K. So I would happily pay $800 for a VG copy!

7 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Can you please let me know where I can get an ASM 3 raw or graded VG copy for only $800?! lol My CGC 3.0 recently sold at auction for $1K. So I would happily pay $800 for a VG copy!

My bad. You might have gotten a VG for $800 in 2017, but not now.  I think I paid about $850 for a 3.5 last year.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:12 PM, Straw-Man said:

reasonable minds can differ.  and no goblin story or arc can touch 31-33.  that trilogy cements #3's superiority for me--it gave us the guy who gave us the master planner.

Spider-Man 121-122 touches it all over. Goblin over doc for me too. But I have both. You gotta have both. Goblin-venom-ock.