• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Verzyl Collection
4 4

92 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, lou_fine said:
On 4/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, sacentaur said:
On 1/11/2019 at 1:25 PM, DanCooper said:

Comic Book Marketplace circa 1996:

image.thumb.jpeg.f26c4d9b98d8f47baa9d2cf547263ad5.jpeg

Al invited over to his wonderful house one day to view his comics and original animation cels collection (his Snow White cels were amazing). A nice fellow.

Told me that he was a musical jingle writer for top advertisers and companies. But then he completely dropped off the radar, never saw nor heard from him again (public records show the home as being sold three times since 1996).

Based upon this ad, I remember calling him up one day way back when and he told me that he was never ever able to acquire a single book (or was it just one book only (shrug)) in all the years that he ran this ad.  :cry:

Not sure how true this statement was, but he certainly didn't get any books out from me.  lol

I am sure it is very true. I stopped advertising in the Overstreet about a decade ago. I never once bought a collection on a cold call from an add in the guide. There were some cool collections that got offered to every dealer in the book, then were subject to bidding wars, price collusion, animosity, hysteria and heartache. Just the kinds of stuff I like to avoid. We were initially reluctant to do it, but since dropping the ads (and the related high costs) I have still been able to purchase more than my fair share of collections.

The other thing not working for him there is that he's basically asking for mint key golden age.     From what I've seen that sort of material doesn't come to you, you go to it.   

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I am sure it is very true. I stopped advertising in the Overstreet about a decade ago. I never once bought a collection on a cold call from an add in the guide. There were some cool collections that got offered to every dealer in the book, then were subject to bidding wars, price collusion, animosity, hysteria and heartache. Just the kinds of stuff I like to avoid. We were initially reluctant to do it, but since dropping the ads (and the related high costs) I have still been able to purchase more than my fair share of collections.

I always wondered how dealers find or are offered collections, RE.  

Where do you get the most or can you rank?  And do you or your staff actively seek buying collections, e.g., searching Craigslist, Estate Sales, etc and initiate the contact?

Walk-in to one of your stores?

Contact through your website?

Some other advertising or platform?

Word of mouth referrals?

Something else I'm missing?

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Where do you get the most or can you rank?  And do you or your staff actively seek buying collections, e.g., searching Craigslist, Estate Sales, etc and initiate the contact?

Word of mouth referrals?

previous and current customers

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Word of mouth referrals?

If you are a fair, good and honorable dealer. Collections come your way on their own...

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Word of mouth referrals?

Yes

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Harley doesn't have a brick and mortar store but gets a lot of material from customers.

Harley impresses me as the kinda guy who'd give you the shirt off his back, ... hm

Spoiler

...in exchange for your nicer shirt.  :devil:

7 hours ago, circumstances said:

"It's the circle of Yee..."

Yee gawds!  :ohnoez:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

11 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Yes

14 hours ago, telerites said:

Word of mouth referrals?

He built it...… and they came :sumo: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu