• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Verzyl Collection
4 4

92 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I saw the Cap #1 Allentown when it was owned by Al Capp in the 90's . It was a lovely book.

Now, that's definitely a name from way back in the day and one that I haven't heard in a long time.  

I remember calling him once through all of those Private Collector ads he used to run in Overstreet during the early 90's asking for GA #1 keys and Marvel SA keys.  Guess he gave up after a few years of running them since he told me that he was never ever really able to acquire a single book from those ads. 

Any idea if he is still collecting or is he most likely gone like most of the other collectors back in the day?  hm

11 hours ago, Timely said:

I saw the Cap #1 Allentown when it was owned by Al Capp in the 90's . It was a lovely book.

When John bought the Marvel 1 MH from Geppi in the 80's it was graded Mint. When John went to get the book he figured he could find a defect on the Marvel, argue that it was not Mint, and get a discount. John told me he looked at the book for 30 minutes trying to find something, anything wrong with it to get that discount. He told me he paid full ask.

He told that story many a times. Ahh, memories. 

17 hours ago, detective35 said:

WOW, I knew it was a 9.6, but never knew it was upgraded to 9.8. 

I remember it being virtually a perfect book, so that does not surprise me.

I remember as well John saying that the Marvel 1 was perfect, flawless.

Gator, what would be your guess as to the price of the Cap. 1 9.8 Allentown if it ever came to auction...2M??

Dwight

Easily 2mil I suspect. 

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I guess Veryzl wouldn't have been interested in the Church copy since it had a tiny bit of restoration work done to it.  I remember the only time I was up in Fisher's office back in the mid-90's and he asked me to take a look at the Church Cap 1 to see if I could spot where the resto work was.  

Any idea if the Allentown copy was upgraded due to a straight resub where CGC simply graded it different on the second go round or did the book get a little bit of intervening help to push it up a notch?  hm

Little bit of intervening :)

Edited by G.A.tor

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that's definitely a name from way back in the day and one that I haven't heard in a long time.  

I remember calling him once through all of those Private Collector ads he used to run in Overstreet during the early 90's asking for GA #1 keys and Marvel SA keys.  Guess he gave up after a few years of running them since he told me that he was never ever really able to acquire a single book from those ads. 

Any idea if he is still collecting or is he most likely gone like most of the other collectors back in the day?  hm

I think he was transitioning into Disney cels & memorabilia back then as he talked about it to me. We was in his late 60's back then, I'm not sure if he's alive at this point.

14 hours ago, Timely said:

I love his comic strip. Daisy Mae is hot!

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Easily 2mil I suspect. 

I agree.  but, in reality, worth 2M to whom?  serious concern.  Bedrock, Gator are you buying million dollar books these days? (absent a quick guaranteed flip to an specific customer?)

8 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

I agree.  but, in reality, worth 2M to whom?  serious concern.  Bedrock, Gator are you buying million dollar books these days? (absent a quick guaranteed flip to an specific customer?)

If I had bedrocks bank I probably would 

4 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

There are deep pockets with enough juice to pull the trigger on a 2M price tag.  

Mostly it's about bragging rights to own the single HGC of a seminal GA key.

yeah.  but I wonder where your "sounds about right, but possibly optimistic?" read on the 2M+ comic buying census fits into reality of the the nosebleed comics market.

I often think we have a way more 2M+ valued books out there that are "worth it based on actual sales to date" than will ever sell at such prices. My math says it's down to only the razor thin slice of people WITH the liquid funds, that also desire to buy COMICS with it, and then, is THIS the BOOK they really want to park the money in.  After each cut of the equation, the list is so small as to become a buyers market! 

with Caps elevated media presence since the movies, I agree that Cap#1 does now feel like its approaching Tec 27 and Action 1 territory, but we will only know the answer if and when it changes hands.

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

If I had bedrocks bank I probably would 

I found a Flintstone's Bedrock piggy-bank image online that would've been perfect for depositing here.  Alas, the image originated from an off-shore account that wouldn't link.  Apparently the IRS is watching everything these days. (:

6 hours ago, Aman619 said:

with Caps elevated media presence since the movies, I agree that Cap#1 does now feel like its approaching Tec 27 and Action 1 territory, but we will only know the answer if and when it changes hands.

We don't necessarily need to see the best copy change hands to get a sense of what it might command on the market, in the same sense that we haven't had to see the MH Action 1 or AT Tec 27 sell to gauge their worth.  We just need to see some other high grade copies come on the market to use as a benchmark. 

Cap 1 has always been one of the most common GA mega-keys, which is substantiated by the Census, which shows an almost absurd 1 9.4 copy, 2 9.2 copies, 1 9.0, 2 8.5s and 5 8.0s, in addition to the 9.8 AT copy.  Cap 1 is the FF 48 Iron Man 1 of GA mega-keys!

And yet, I can't even remember the last public sale or publicly reported sale of a high grade copy.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

We don't necessarily need to see the best copy change hands to get a sense of what it might command on the market, in the same sense that we haven't had to see the MH Action 1 or AT Tec 27 sell to gauge their worth.  We just need to see some other high grade copies come on the market to use as a benchmark. 

Cap 1 has always been one of the most common GA mega-keys, which is substantiated by the Census, which shows an almost absurd 1 9.4 copy, 2 9.2 copies, 1 9.0, 2 8.5s and 5 8.0s, in addition to the 9.8 AT copy.  Cap 1 is the FF 48 Iron Man 1 of GA mega-keys!

And yet, I can't even remember the last public sale or publicly reported sale of a high grade copy.

good points.  you see where Im going here.  I don't recall any HG sales either.  Which means that the owners are sitting around recalculating the values of their copies based on threads like this and no solid or public sales data.  

I know the feeling.... : (  

Feels like the way we value these top books based on some sky high asking prices, and a few mega sales to ONE GUY (who is on the sidelines) plus a few other brave souls you can count on one hand, is say, tenuous?  Or am I just in a crappy mood today?

25 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

good points.  you see where Im going here.  I don't recall any HG sales either.  Which means that the owners are sitting around recalculating the values of their copies based on threads like this and no solid or public sales data.  

Which raises an interesting question why no copies have come on the market in light of the success of the Cap and Avenger movies and the high prices paid for Action 1 and Tec 27.

Maybe this is like when the first decent copy of Action 1 (6.0?) in ages came on the market in CC's auction some years back, thus creating a benchmark and giving other owners the confidence to sell too, opening the floodgates for more copies to come on the market. 

If one of the higher grade copies of Cap 1 were to come on the market and do well, perhaps we'll suddenly see a whole lot more.   

29 minutes ago, tth2 said:

If one of the higher grade copies of Cap 1 were to come on the market and do well, perhaps we'll suddenly see a whole lot more.   

Well, we are still waiting..............it shouldn't take that long for a book to arrive here from Hong Kong.  :taptaptap:  lol

12 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I sold an 8.0 through ComicConnext two years ago. It went for a ton.

Yes, indeed and congrats on a fantastic sales result!!! (thumbsu

Looks like it sold for almost as much as the CGC 9.2 graded Atlantic City copy of Cap 1 managed to fetched a few yours prior to your copy.  :applause: