• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Verzyl Collection
4 4

92 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Daisy Mae was hot... she's 103 and has no teeth now.

but still looks OK in shorts and polkadots.

Al Capp the famous cartoonist passed away in 1979, so I'm not sure who's being talked about as an owner of any Church books in the 90s.  (shrug)

On 1/9/2019 at 10:13 PM, Timely said:

I saw the Cap #1 Allentown when it was owned by Al Capp in the 90's . It was a lovely book.

When John bought the Marvel 1 MH from Geppi in the 80's it was graded Mint. When John went to get the book he figured he could find a defect on the Marvel, argue that it was not Mint, and get a discount. John told me he looked at the book for 30 minutes trying to find something, anything wrong with it to get that discount. He told me he paid full ask.

Is this a photo of the Marvel 1 MH?  image.png.a9e36b0b8aa32e720068bdd74fe40595.png

36 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Al Capp the famous cartoonist passed away in 1979, so I'm not sure who's being talked about as an owner of any Church books in the 90s.  (shrug)

There's more than one Al Capp in the world!(thumbsu

18 minutes ago, namisgr said:

But not more than one who drew Daisy Mae :wink:

Frank Frazetta drew the best Daisy Mae :luhv:

1 minute ago, telerites said:

I can't afford them anymore :cry: but I love 'em and Cap 1 tops my wishful, unfunded grail list.

I am right there with you. I planned to pick up the right restored copy of Cap 1 and in waiting for that right copy I watched the prices move past my comfort zone. 

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Frank Frazetta drew the best Daisy Mae :luhv:

Maybe so, but I'll challenge anyone to tell me definitively a Frazetta from anyone else working on the strip...no one's been able to do it yet...

Edited by pemart1966

10 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Maybe so, but I'll challenge anyone to tell me definitively a Frazetta from anyone else working on the strip...no one's been ablate do it yet...

I've seen a few Lil' Abner's attributed to Frazetta and they seemed qualitatively superior.  There may not be an official list but I don't think it would be too hard for a small group of people to work their way through the 50s strips and id the Frazetta's.

2 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I've seen a few Lil' Abner's attributed to Frazetta and they seemed qualitatively superior.  There may not be an official list but I don't think it would be too hard for a small group of people to work their way through the 50s strips and id the Frazetta's.

The key word is "attributed".  Everyone selling will tell you that what they're selling is a Frazetta Abner but from what I understand, it's not that simple.  Frazetta's involvement varied from strip to strip - maybe a little bit; maybe quite a bit and maybe nothing at all.  He was part of Capp's (the REAL Al Capp lol) stable of ghost artists.  He was paid to ape Capp's style as were all of those artists - not to be his own man.

Attribution is subjective and I'd bet Frank himself, if he were still with us, would be hard pressed to remember if he worked on a particular piece or not.