• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a 8.0 really have this many color breaks/spine ?

19 posts in this topic

I am educating myself on 8.0 to 9.0 grades in silver age books. Does this grade look right for a book with this many spine creases that break color ? If so , the next question is ..... could a book with those same spine flaws achieve a 9.0 ? Thank you everyone for your expertise. 

CA01E773-09F5-482B-8756-ABAD01AB71B7.png

915A8611-02EC-42FC-BA5D-ACD3B3B1C1B6.png

Edited by Lamborghinikid

3 hours ago, Lamborghinikid said:

I am educating myself on 8.0 to 9.0 grades in silver age books. Does this grade look right for a book with this many spine creases that break color ? If so , the next question is ..... could a book with those same spine flaws achieve a 9.0 ?

The answer to your first question is yes.

The answer to your second question is probably not. 

If you're really interested in finding out, I would suggest searching the Heritage site for past CGC auctions. You should be able to see the subtle differences between an 8.0 and a 9.0, especially if you're just looking at front cover spine stress that breaks color. The FF #52 is a good book to use since the spine stress shows up so distinctly.

I hope this helps...

3 hours ago, Lamborghinikid said:

I am educating myself on 8.0 to 9.0 grades in silver age books. Does this grade look right for a book with this many spine creases that break color ? If so , the next question is ..... could a book with those same spine flaws achieve a 9.0 ? Thank you everyone for your expertise. 

You are questioning the integrity of your grade, surprised it graded this high. Yet you want to know if it can morphed into a 9.0 ? Those spine creases look pretty deep and break color. The back cover is very clean. Show us your grader notes. Maybe there's something mentioned that can be improved but I don't see a anything.

This is not my book , I’m doing research on 8.0 to 9.0 silver age books. I’m trying to educate myself on the limits , both high and low, for these books. I have been looking at random 8.0 to 9.0 books online. When I saw this book , with black boarders , and showing these flaws, I thought this was a perfect candidate to present. 

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are questioning the integrity of your grade, surprised it graded this high. Yet you want to know if it can morphed into a 9.0 ? Those spine creases look pretty deep and break color. The back cover is very clean. Show us your grader notes. Maybe there's something mentioned that can be improved but I don't see a anything.

Bob, I actually agree with you. To my eyes , this book looks unpressed and over graded. So I was thinking what’s the limit on this book if pressed ? Can it achieve more or has it already received a gift grade ? Can a book with these flaws pressed ever achieve an 8.5 or. 9.0. I’m just simply questioning the system itself for my own education so that if i see a book like this at a show, and i know it can achieve more with a press , i may drop the cash down to get it knowing there’s room for improvement. Just simply educating myself. Thanks for everyone’s expertise. 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

15 hours ago, Lamborghinikid said:

\

You should have seen my graded Amazing Spiderman # 300 at 9.2 with 8 spine ticks, but everything else is sharp. 

Yes and no, it all goes back to grading being subjective.  Yes there are guidelines but there are clear differences in 8.0s or any grade for that matter.  An 8.0 is still an 8.0 because of its flaws so I can see how some spine ticks and color breaking creases can knock it down as long as the rest of the book is near mint. On the other hand, I saw someone post a Hulk 181 as a 7.5 and everyone who guessed the grade put it at a least 1 grade point down.  Upon review I thought it was a solid 5.0 and CGC decided to grade it a 7.5 white pager to which I can only say (shrug)

Pick up an Overstreet manual and study the grading in there to help you on your grading skills....or even browse through the 'Please Grade My' section here to see different examples of grading.

14 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Post your copy of the book with a 5 dollar bill on top so we can examine it Fafafooey...

Here you go, Karl.  Mine's bigger than yours.

FF52-2.JPG.53948afe86a07953600bbb3631b7a65a.JPG

Edited by namisgr

11 hours ago, namisgr said:

Here you go, Karl.  Mine's bigger than yours.

FF52-2.JPG.53948afe86a07953600bbb3631b7a65a.JPG

You should have resubmitted this in 2011. They would have given it a 9.8. Gorgeous book !

Edited by Bomber-Bob