• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this X-Men collection worth buying?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

I don't really often find such collections and they are generally tough to come by here in the non-US. But I stubbled upon a guy who lives 3 hours from my home and has a few hundred issues of X-Men related titles for sale. The collection includes a complete run of Uncanny X-Men 94-320 (according to him the 94 in around FN, most of the others in VF/NM) and a GSXM 1 (again according to him at least a FN). It has many of the annuals as well (3-18) and a lot of books from the 90s (40 issues of X-Force, another 40+ of X-Men from the 90s etc). 

I attach the photos I have. The 94 looks lower than FN in my opinion due to the big crease, but the GSXM 1 looks nice. Although its just photos of the front covers.

He is asking around $2,2K for the whole bunch. I know that this is probably under retail value, but is it so lower that it would make it worth it taking a trip 3 + 3 hours in order to check them out and risking coming back empty handed if something is wrong? And what would be potentially wrong? I attach the photos of the two issues. Thanks for the input!

33963200_1942953239050693_6265555328570490880_o.jpg

34018147_1942953255717358_2346209499863318528_o.jpg

Not a steal, but not outrageous either.  Grading seems to be conservative (based on the front cover images).  If it's for your personal reading/collection, it's worth a shot.  Worst you come out is gas money and time if it turns out to be not as advertised.  It is probably cheaper than putting the collection together (factoring in shipping and time).  Best of luck!

I mean, if you're looking to sell, there are enough keys/big books in there to make your money back right away.

Between the GS1, 94, 101, 120, 121, 141, 266 and plenty others that you could sell immediately, you'll find profit in it. The only problem is that non-key issues after 150 are not great sellers any more.

If condition is as advertised, and you're buying for yourself, then yes, I'd say it's a good deal. As @RCheli pointed out, in nice shape, you get your money's worth with about 10 issues (I'd throw 129, 130 and 137 into the ring alongside the picks above as keys), There are still several books in the Cockrum and Byrne run that are solid $30-$50 books in grade. and there are plenty of $15-$20 books in the later books as well, like 201, Mutant Massacre, 221, 244, 248, 268, 282, K14 etc. So if I was looking to pick up a nice X-Men run in one swoop, you could certainly do much worse.

If you're buying for resale, then I'd think there's still some meat on the bone for sure, but yeah, you're going to have to blow out about half of them for next to nothing, and the grading needs to be on point. X-men certainly aren't hard to find, but locally at least I've seen an uptick in interest of late.

But it really comes down to how nice the GSX1 and 94 are/aren't.

Edited by F For Fake
still running my mouth

Thanks. I had no intention right now to grab a long X-Men run, due to limited space and since ASM is the run I collect and keeps me busy enough. But I don't want to let a potentially good deal go, since these don't really come up often here in Sweden.

I am leaning towards going and checking them out. If the GSXM is indeed FN or better as it looks from the photo and some of the bigger keys are in decent condition - hopefully around VF or better I will grab them. It will be surely fun.

Sounds like a lot of good stuff :) lot's of good advice!

imo, check it out and if the GSXM#1 and #94 are well off then look at some other issues to get an average of grades there :foryou: 

Maybe low on the list, but Uncanny X-men #164 (ms marvel becomes "Binary") is currently a hotter than usual book that might get you some quick cash back, provided condition...

Hope it turns out well ^^ 

17 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Thanks. I had no intention right now to grab a long X-Men run, due to limited space and since ASM is the run I collect and keeps me busy enough. But I don't want to let a potentially good deal go, since these don't really come up often here in Sweden.

I am leaning towards going and checking them out. If the GSXM is indeed FN or better as it looks from the photo and some of the bigger keys are in decent condition - hopefully around VF or better I will grab them. It will be surely fun.

Better hurry. I heard Roy is booking a flight to Sweden as we speak ! LOL, of course.

20 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Dont forget page count/value stamp check

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I wouldn't worry about it 'not being worth the trip'. Have some fun, take a road trip, bring CASH, and hope for the best. You will be more mad at yourself if you let a good deal pass rather than wasting some gas money. I say check it out. Good luck !

Plus, with cash in hand, you have the opportunity to get them cheaper than the asking price.  Cash in hand is a powerful motivator. :)

11 minutes ago, Skynwalker said:

Plus, with cash in hand, you have the opportunity to get them cheaper than the asking price.  Cash in hand is a powerful motivator. :)

This. If nothing else, surely you can shave that extra $200 off.

Yes!!!!!! :banana: I think that's definitely worth it. And you might not do so bad with the later and common books. Sell them in small runs - #281-290, 291-300, etc, etc. There are a lot of new collectors coming into the hobby who are buying these books because they want to read them. The GSX #1 looks nice and as everyone else said there are plenty of keys and semi keys in there. You can put "1st appearance of....." just about anything in your item title and it'll sell. The three hour ride there and back sounds fun too. Throw on some tunes, start with Judas Priest's "Heading out to the Highway" and settle in for a cool drive.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sounds like a lot of good stuff :) lot's of good advice!

imo, check it out and if the GSXM#1 and #94 are well off then look at some other issues to get an average of grades there :foryou: 

Maybe low on the list, but Uncanny X-men #164 (ms marvel becomes "Binary") is currently a hotter than usual book that might get you some quick cash back, provided condition...

Hope it turns out well ^^ 

^ This. X-Men #164 is huge right now. In fact, that whole set from 162 thru 166 is in demand. Even 168 with the 1st Lockheed and 1st Madelyne Pryor is selling well.

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i hope gasoline is as cheap where you live as it is here now ..only $1.75 per gallon these days !!!!!!!!!!!!

:foryou:

And thought I was doing good filling up for $1.78 today! lol i thought it was cheaper in Texas ha.