• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YEAR IN REVIEW: What's New In Your Collection...
7 7

209 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, SuperGrover said:

Truth is I really had a good year in Golden Age Awesomeness, I got a great deal on a Ghost 6, a Junior 15, a Phantom Lady 13, and some other amazing books. But, I keep coming back to this Planet Comics #2. High Grade 1940 book that is just beautiful! As with many of the books I got this year I feel like I was just super lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time (with my wallet open).

The purple label seems to make some books affordable – sometimes...

I got this Purple Label Of Discount for half what I was willing to pay (seemed like there were no serious bidders at the time) and probably 5% (or 1% - we will see) of what the Church copy will go for. Also, I have never seen what I presume to be “Professional” restoration. A-3: A for Excellent quality materials and 3 for moderate amount. I can see the spine seal but the rest I can't find or is just inside the book. It's funny, the edges trimmed probably bothers me the most – I really don't know why. Anyway, I find the restoration process to be quite the art form in and of itself. I just love looking at this book.

So this is my Book of 2018!

Planet 2 8.0 restored 2.JPG

I think this was from the same bound volume as my Planet 1 and Artboy99  number 5.....beautiful book:headbang:

12 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Great thread - love seeing everyone's 2018 treasures!

After a multi-year breather from the comic book hobby, I reignited the comic collecting fires in 2018 with some EC, Disney, and Jungle books:

weirdscience16.jpg

When I was new to buying older comics back in 1966, I bought a few Mad comics at Cherokee Book Shop in Hollywood.  Inside one of them was a house ad for this issue.  I had no idea what Weird Science was at the time, but it looked interesting.  A few years later when I actually had a job and could afford ECs I picked up that issue along with a lot more.  It's still my favorite WS cover...and yours looks amazing.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 12/8/2018 at 11:51 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I stopped collecting Timely for a while several years ago.  Late last year while I was thinking about what direction I wanted to go with my collection, I decided that 2018 would be when I get back into Timely.  I thought maybe I’d be lucky to get 2 or 3 random issues because where I am, golden age in general is very sparse.  I don’t go to any large shows in cities such as Chicago or Baltimore, so pickings are slim.  When @Cat-Man_America started this thread, it got me thinking and I was a little surprised.  I was surprised because I didn’t really realize how lucky I was this year to get the books I did.  All of the books in the two pictures are ones that I have acquired this year.  I feel like I did pretty darn good.

400897FB-5220-4B0E-984A-A6193578434B.jpeg

Outstanding! :golfclap:

12 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Jayman Funny Animal and Pre Code Horror/

Yin to a Yang? :D

..Your taste in cool Funny Animal rivals your taste in top shelf Horror :headbang:

Ya know, maybe it is! I've already mentioned to other boardies that I've found these funny animal books a pleasant diversion when I get burned out on the horror books. I guess they bring me back to my cartoon days as a kid. Saturday mornings had a lineup of cartoons that I lived for it seems. :x

And thanks! 

Edited by Jayman
Manners

On 12/8/2018 at 8:36 PM, Badger said:

Wow, don't know where to begin.  This has been my best year collecting, period! :whee: I went through 6 months of unemployment where I had to sell some of my most prized books; books I will probably never get back.:cry:  Still, found a great job late last year, recovered from the financial strain, and I'm back baby!

i could probably afford some of these ...but then i would be walking around everywhere i go like this .......

Image result for man in a barrel clothes

11 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

When I was new to buying older comics back in 1966, I bought a few Mad comics at Cherokee Book Shop in Hollywood.  Inside one of them was a house ad for this issue.  I had no idea what Weird Science was at the time, but it looked interesting.  A few years later when I actually had a job and could afford ECs I picked up that issue along with a lot more.  It's still my favorite WS cover...and yours looks amazing.

This is the first EC comic I've ever owned (and I've been collecting comic books since the early 1980s). 

When it arrived, I felt that long-familiar collecting feeling: 

Must. Have. More.

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I just started collecting again after a 30 year break.  My dad slabbed and sold most of my books a few years back.  I managed to find the owner of my favorite one, Conan #1 which I remember buying as a kid back in the mid 80's. The owner who bought it sold it back to me!  It's back where it should be....in a box in my closet for another 30 years :roflmao:

Edit: Opps just noticed this is a GA thread...Still a good buy :-)

IMG_1297.jpg

Conan #1 and X-Men #94 were my grail books back in the 1980s - very cool that you were able to track down your original copy!