• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YEAR IN REVIEW: What's New In Your Collection...
7 7

209 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

This is a really impressive thread, and this is one of the most impressive books to me. Major congrats on something a little off the beaten path that just glows, glows, GLOWS!  (thumbsu

Thanks - I wish all of my 7.5 books looked this nice...

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, today alone would have made my year. These were some, but not all, of today’s pickups, all of which should be on my best of the year. The Lily Renee Art is a full Senorita Rio story.

9100FA37-5962-4B44-BC96-CAA239C3AEC3.jpeg

E933A930-5650-4237-B4D4-0BD176174CAB.jpeg

BD03E2DD-2504-4F41-88A8-318FAFDFC036.jpeg

B47704D6-F7AE-4ADF-A751-811A5F00B79A.jpeg

8323CFD7-0A8E-473D-9DC9-4A3DA8A8779C.jpeg

If this set of books represents ONE day of acquisitions, I can't imagine what your entire collection looks like!

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, sagii said:

...Great stuff all around!

Great, Great year for me collecting wise. The only downer was the Aunt who bought me my first comic book back in the 70's as a kid one Summer(to keep me occupied while she and my Uncle took care of business at an insurance company office), passed away this October, but she opened the floodgates to my passion for this hobby. Never knew that one act would keep me interested all these years (with a brief early 20's pause) and build to what it means to me today.

For you Aunt Elouise :foryou: :angel:

Thought i'd feature items from my Top collecting focus': An Ace, An MLJ upgrade, A 1939 Looney Tunes collectible, and a bonus, something from a budding bug, A Platinum era book

Super-Mystery Comics #3.jpg

Blue Ribbon Comics #11.jpg

IMG_4125.JPG

Gold Dust Twins #nn.jpg

Kemble's art is fantastic.  His earlier newspaper comic, The Blackberries, doesn't get the recognition it deserves even though it became one of the first collections of published newspaper comics.  Mark Twain thought that Kemble's work was so good that he insisted Kemble do the art in his books.  Most of the art for the Gold Dust Twins wasn't done by Kemble, but his early signed pieces like this advertising booklet are prized collectibles.

13 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, today alone would have made my year. These were some, but not all, of today’s pickups, all of which should be on my best of the year. The Lily Renee Art is a full Senorita Rio story.

9100FA37-5962-4B44-BC96-CAA239C3AEC3.jpeg

E933A930-5650-4237-B4D4-0BD176174CAB.jpeg

BD03E2DD-2504-4F41-88A8-318FAFDFC036.jpeg

B47704D6-F7AE-4ADF-A751-811A5F00B79A.jpeg

8323CFD7-0A8E-473D-9DC9-4A3DA8A8779C.jpeg

B446CB10-62F1-4D4B-9BF0-71FD68A0B4AC.jpeg

74D3CFC8-0883-414C-84F9-314EDBAE2437.jpeg

wonderful acquisitions. I think the Planet 17 is my favorite. It is in my top 3 of favorites from the entire run and the Church copy has such amazing centering, and the colors are jaw dropping.

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Wonderful book.  Given the size of the sundae she's eating, she may actually be more Juggie's kind of gal than Archie's. hm

lol

In my imagination, I always thought sly Jug was trying to hook her up with Archie so she would walk over, thus leaving the sundae behind for Jug to liberate.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:42 PM, sagii said:

...Great stuff all around!

Great, Great year for me collecting wise. The only downer was the Aunt who bought me my first comic book back in the 70's as a kid one Summer(to keep me occupied while she and my Uncle took care of business at an insurance company office), passed away this October, but she opened the floodgates to my passion for this hobby. Never knew that one act would keep me interested all these years (with a brief early 20's pause) and build to what it means to me today.

For you Aunt Elouise :foryou: :angel:

Thought i'd feature items from my Top collecting focus': An Ace, An MLJ upgrade, A 1939 Looney Tunes collectible, and a bonus, something from a budding bug, A Platinum era book

Super-Mystery Comics #3.jpg

Blue Ribbon Comics #11.jpg

IMG_4125.JPG

Gold Dust Twins #nn.jpg

Corey, you are the fan's fan and the collector's collector!  Such a great group.  I wonder if the Gold Dust Twins holds the record for oldest book to be slabbed by CGC?

Very sorry to hear about your aunt.  I also had an aunt who would occasionally babysit me.  She knew that spending a dollar to buy 10 comics was a good way to keep me occupied. Aunts are a savvy group! :)

3 hours ago, buttock said:

Highlights of the year for me.  

MVIMG_20181215_085739.jpg

I regret that I have but one "like" to give to this post.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Corey, you are the fan's fan and the collector's collector!  Such a great group.  I wonder if the Gold Dust Twins holds the record for oldest book to be slabbed by CGC?

Very sorry to hear about your aunt.  I also had an aunt who would occasionally babysit me.  She knew that spending a dollar to buy 10 comics was a good way to keep me occupied. Aunts are a savvy group! :)

@PopKulture @Yellow Kid Thanks for the kind words.

@Sqeggs Thanks also Tony for your sympathy .

Yes, Aunts are a special group :)