• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Official Holiday Raffle thread!!!
9 9

1,139 posts in this topic

This is kind of sad.  One of the most fun events on the boards and most people are passing it by.  Why?  People can't be that busy to take a picture of some cool stuff or does no one have any cool stuff to offer up.  Stumped by the general apathy on the boards right now.

14 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

This is kind of sad.  One of the most fun events on the boards and most people are passing it by.  Why?  People can't be that busy to take a picture of some cool stuff or does no one have any cool stuff to offer up.  Stumped by the general apathy on the boards right now.

I just found this thread... it looks like so much fun, so let me just clarify. All I need to do is pick something cool post a pic here and that gets me in? and then you draw all of our names and we pick what we want in order. Then I ship the prize to whomever you tell me? If I am correct let me know and I will find somestuff

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I just don't really have anything to donate. I recently "donated" all of my excess books, that I didn't want to keep, to my younger brother.

Next year may be different. Sometimes I get caught between, "do I want a run of issues or its omnibus", and those stragglers may be up for giveaway in 2019.

11 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I just found this thread... it looks like so much fun, so let me just clarify. All I need to do is pick something cool post a pic here and that gets me in? and then you draw all of our names and we pick what we want in order. Then I ship the prize to whomever you tell me? If I am correct let me know and I will find somestuff

Basically :foryou: I'm new this year to this and that is how I understand it....... Donate a prize, all our names go into a bag for raffle, are picked to determine order of right to pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. 

If someone claims the prize we donated, we ship to that person. Be sure to designate if it is U.S. shipping only too or other :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
only

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Basically :foryou: I'm new this year to this and that is how I understand it....... Donate a prize, all our names go into a bag for raffle, are picked to determine order of right to pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. 

If someone claims the prize we donated, we ship to that person. Be sure to designate if it is U.S. shipping only too or other :foryou: 

The only thing I'd add is the names get picked by a board member's kids and it's fun to watch them try to stay focused and enjoy picking out the weird names.  The picking will go quickly since I believe everyone only gets 5 minutes to make your pick and you can submit a list to the organizer if you are not available to pick live.  It's fun to see what people pick and stress over your favorite pick being left to your spot.  Last year mine got taken pretty early and it's a nice feeling when your goodies get grabbed by another board member.:gossip:

Edited by 1Cool

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

The only thing I'd add is the names get picked by a board member's kids and it's fun to watch them try to stay focused and enjoy picking out the weird names.  The picking will go quickly since I believe everyone only gets 5 minutes to make your pick and you can submit a list to the organizer if you are not available to pick live.  It's fun to see what people pick and stress over your favorite pick being left to your spot.  Last year mine got taken pretty early and it's a nice feeling when your goodies get grabbed by another board member.:gossip:

Do you know if the donation or prize list will all be updated to one post, say hollyjollyone post, to make it easy to pick from?

I did the March madness grading contest, lol so I'm a little familiar with the nerves haha and deciding! It's exciting!

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Cool! I already have an idea... I work on Friday the 28th so I may need to send a list, who would that go to ? and its says 12pm is that eastern time?

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Cool! I already have an idea... I work on Friday the 28th so I may need to send a list, who would that go to ? and its says 12pm is that eastern time?

Not too worrry - the jolly elf will post a link here in this thread so you can fill in a want list.  The organizers make it a fun, easy event to participate in.

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you know if the donation or prize list will all be updated to one post, say hollyjollyone post, to make it easy to pick from?

I did the March madness grading contest, lol so I'm a little familiar with the nerves haha and deciding! It's exciting!

I believe a whole new thread is made just for the raffle and the available offers are constantly updated after each pick.  I send in a list just in case i get pulled away for work but I usually am able to jump in and out thru out the day and I've been able to pick live the last few years.

Edited by 1Cool

57 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I believe a whole new thread is made just for the raffle and the available offers are constantly updated after each pick.  I send in a list just in case i get pulled away for work but I usually am able to jump in and out thru out the day and I've been able to pick live the last few years.

I think the Raffle will be held in this thread. I know a Reveal thread will probably be created to highlight the mystery box stuff... and greggy's junk.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I just don't really have anything to donate. I recently "donated" all of my excess books, that I didn't want to keep, to my younger brother.

Next year may be different. Sometimes I get caught between, "do I want a run of issues or its omnibus", and those stragglers may be up for giveaway in 2019.

Many have done a paypal donation in the past.  

Just now, comicdonna said:

Many have done a paypal donation in the past.  

No offense to anyone who does donate via PayPal, but that sounds very boring. Having all-comic-related prizes would be very cool (like the gift exchange).

"Not my style." "And you're all about style..."

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

@1Cool got it nailed down pretty well, just one thing I wanted to add for clarification.. well, two.  1st, the official “rules” such as they are are summarized in the first post here for those that want to see them.  And second, when he says that people CAN rank the prizes, I believe that it’s actually required that participants rank the prizes... or all least their top 10-15 of them.  Once all of the prizes are locked in, a form will be created that has every prize listed with a number... and you just go through and rank the list as far as you’d like.  That way, they have it at the ready if you’re not there live to pick and it doesn’t slow things down.   Believe it or not, even if years where there are 100 people participating... supposedly most people get a prize they’ve ranked in their top 10-15!  Different strokes for different folks!

But yeah, if you know someone who hasn’t signed up yet... get ‘em in here!

17 minutes ago, fmaz said:

@1Cool got it nailed down pretty well, just one thing I wanted to add for clarification.. well, two.  1st, the official “rules” such as they are are summarized in the first post here for those that want to see them.  And second, when he says that people CAN rank the prizes, I believe that it’s actually required that participants rank the prizes... or all least their top 10-15 of them.  Once all of the prizes are locked in, a form will be created that has every prize listed with a number... and you just go through and rank the list as far as you’d like.  That way, they have it at the ready if you’re not there live to pick and it doesn’t slow things down.   Believe it or not, even if years where there are 100 people participating... supposedly most people get a prize they’ve ranked in their top 10-15!  Different strokes for different folks!

But yeah, if you know someone who hasn’t signed up yet... get ‘em in here!

It's not a requirement that people rank their prize selections before hand, but if it's their turn and the 5-minute time limit expires, they are skipped. They are however allowed to pick as soon as they come back.

Always a good idea to get your selections made ahead of time... just in case.