• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #50

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I tried taking pictures outside today, They are a little better...I just figured a way out to scan some pics, so I'm working on that next but just hoping you could take a look at my ASM 50.

half down on the right side of the cover theres a mark, Its not pen or pencil, I think it might be crayon....Theres also 2 small marks by the numbering but I cant tell what it is...

thanks

1544220450563-b97b1bcc-6767-43b4-bf95-8dd3728c7158_.jpg

20181207_170151.jpg

20181207_170159.jpg

20181207_170207.jpg

20181207_170214.jpg

20181207_170224.jpg

20181207_170237 (2).jpg

20181207_170237.jpg

20181207_170243 (2).jpg

20181207_170248.jpg

11 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

VG+   F-

I don't think the mark will count at all. The crunchy-ness off the spine, the back cover staining and top right color breaking all just add up to make it what it is: a nice mid grade book. 

Still looks great and I would be happy with one half as nice. 

thanks for the grade

Nice colors and structurally sound book in the VG range.  Accumulation of color breaking creases and markings are par for the course in this grade, no pieces missing, no bad tears. 

However, it looks like there is a lot of light staining and soiling throughout much of the back cover that is not foxing.  VG typically allows for light soiling but I think this will take a hit.

CGC 4.0

13 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

thanks for the grade

I know you have tons of books to go through that you might CGC some of...

I can't recommend Nicks videos enough. He did all the hard work years ago sending in books to CGC and he tells it like it is. Just a few hours of your time will give you years of knowledge. 

13 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

I know you have tons of books to go through that you might CGC some of...

I can't recommend Nicks videos enough. He did all the hard work years ago sending in books to CGC and he tells it like it is. Just a few hours of your time will give you years of knowledge. 

thanks for the video...

I have a few book that have the exact amateur restoration that The SECOND book in his video has, do you know how much it effect the value, he didnt say in the video?

when I went through my grandfather collection when I inherited it, He had doubles and triples sets of the big 7...and on Daredevil and Avengers, in 1 of double sets, there was probably 10 issues in each set from 10 to 100 that had this kind of amateur restoration, I never knew how to grade them or the value...luckily I had better copies to go in my personal sets, but I still have them in my Dups...

does this type of Amateur Restoration take more than 50% of the value away?

thanks

Edited by billbrown7080

5 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

how much it effect the value

I'm never around big books with color touch to quote a percentage....  

Check "Ask Gator" thread in Golden Age. He would let you know.

And some buyers don't even care about color touch. Just get a good picture of the inside cover and let them know.

19 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

My best guess is a 4.5. I hope this helps!  

Thanks it does...

I had it graded between 4.0 and 5.0

and that seems to be the universal consensus so far...

I just wasnt sure about the 2 stains/marks on the cover...I didnt exactly know how much they could effect the grade

2 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

Thanks it does...

I had it graded between 4.0 and 5.0

and that seems to be the universal consensus so far...

I just wasnt sure about the 2 stains/marks on the cover...I didnt exactly know how much they could effect the grade

Please keep in mind that light pen, pencil (or crayon) marks usually will have little or no impact in this grade unless they're so prominent they obscure the front cover artwork or title. The book still retains a respectable overall appearance and is almost a classic example of what a nice VG should look like, IMO. :foryou:

Just now, The Lions Den said:

Please keep in mind that light pen, pencil (or crayon) marks usually will have little or no impact in this grade unless they're so prominent they obscure the front cover artwork or title.

does that hold true for every grade or just in the very good range?

Like If A comic was a 8.5 in every way but had a small mark in pencil or crayon....would the same "will have little or no impact in this grade unless they're so prominent they obscure the front cover artwork or title." still in effect?

4 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

does that hold true for every grade or just in the very good range?

Like If A comic was a 8.5 in every way but had a small mark in pencil or crayon....would the same "will have little or no impact in this grade unless they're so prominent they obscure the front cover artwork or title." still in effect?

I did intend that comment specifically for books in the Very Good range, but there is a certain amount of truth in that statement applying to higher grades as well.  

I have seen books where the inked arrival date on the cover had very little impact on the grade. I've seen numerous certified books with minor pencil writing achieve a grade of 9.4. I also like your example of an 8.5...it's very possible it would still achieve an 8.5 even with a small unobtrusive arrival date.

As with so many things in life, the important things to remember are size and placement...  :bigsmile: