• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Hole Collections
1 1

46 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, hmendryk said:

...but it is interesting that in all cases examined the majority of cover art cannot be found on the Internet.

...and perhaps the majority of collectors are not on the Internet?

(Probably not a majority, but also probably not zero)

Unknowable, I suppose.

I am a black hole collector. I have shared a bit of the collection on FB and here, in the last instance to let a fellow collector know that one of the pieces he was going after is here being well taken care of. I have traded art with a dealer only once in my life and don't plan on doing that again (I was not burned or anything, I just have no interest in it). Luckily for everybody, my collection is not extensive, so I am not keeping thousands of pieces away from the market.

I have explained in detail in an earlier post why I behave like this. I don't see myself ever changing. 

Edited by bernoulli

8 hours ago, bernoulli said:

I am a black hole collector. I have shared a bit of the collection on FB and here, in the last instance to let a fellow collector know that one of the pieces he was going after is here being well taken care of. I have traded art with a dealer only once in my life and don't plan on doing that again (I was not burned or anything, I just have no interest in it). Luckily for everybody, my collection is not extensive, so I am not keeping thousands of pieces away from the market.

I have explained in detail in an earlier post why I behave like this. I don't see myself ever changing. 

Why should you change? I have some pieces that are worth a bit, but I don’t care. I don’t need the $ they would bring from a sale, and I won’t need it in the future. 
l do, however, like social interaction, so I enjoy posting here and seeing posts, because of the live commentary they draw. 

14 hours ago, thethedew said:

...and perhaps the majority of collectors are not on the Internet?

(Probably not a majority, but also probably not zero)

Unknowable, I suppose.

I don't think the majority of owners of black hole collectors are not on the Internet. I am not saying you can't build a collection without using the Internet, but it would put you at a disadvantage. But you have to wonder how many older collectors are out there who collected before there was an Internet. While some may have continued collecting, I can see others may have stopped collecting with the rise in OA prices and just kept what they had and saw no reason to post on the Internet.

Not every collector I have met has posted all their art on CAF or social media. One collector in particular has never posted his any of his art anywhere. At one time he told me that he once owned a piece of art that is now in my collection. Not that unusual but what was surprising is that he ask me not to reveal that fact to anyone else. I don't feel that saying that much breaks his confidence, but I never told anyone the specifics as to his name or which piece of art. I once asked him why his is so secretive about his collection and he said that way if he wants to sell something it would have greater perceived value as being fresh to the market. A rational explanation, even if I don't totally agree with it, but I do not feel that is his full reasoning as it doesn't explain his wanting to keep his previous ownership of my art secret.

Like Ricky2you2 I see nothing wrong with being a black hole collector, either in part or completely. I guess my only hope is any collector, black hole or otherwise, takes good care in preserving their art.

9 hours ago, bernoulli said:

I am a black hole collector. I have shared a bit of the collection on FB and here, in the last instance to let a fellow collector know that one of the pieces he was going after is here being well taken care of.

Still appreciated! That's the only real drawback to black holes - there are so many pieces out there that I have to imagine exist, but where they are (and in what storage conditions) are a mystery. I have a few pieces I still don't have posted. I wouldn't consider any of these pieces something that someone would be searching out, but I received a message from someone recently telling me that they had been "wondering where that piece was located..."

I purchased a small collection last year from a guy who was selling his late friend's collection of comics, art, and other collectibles. This set of 8 or 9 pages had two that I had been actively on the lookout for, and one that was very near the top of my list. These pages had been well taken care of, but it was obvious by looking at the entire collection that the art was just one piece of something much larger, and probably not something that the collector would have even thought to share on a site like CAF. It does make me wonder how many pages are out there that were given as gifts or picked up as a "cheap" curiosity or souvenir from a con and just filed away.