• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vancouver Comic & Toy Show Sunday Feb. 24, 2019 * P.N.E. Forum* BC, Canada
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Vancouver Comic and Toy Show is growing up to 22,000 square feet at NEW location Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) Forum south end at 2901 East Hastings at Renfrew Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. About 200 x 8' vendor's tables full of pop culture like vintage back issues, new comics, action figures, model kits, graphic novels, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr Who collectibles and Funko Pop. Expanded hours 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. for more family fun. Top door prizes are two (2) x $100 gift certificates to be raffled off. ATM will be available. Food trucks have been added for more variety. Admission is $12, kids under 12 FREE. Parking is $15. Comic and independent press guests to be announced at Vancouver (BC) Comic Show new location

A wide variety of comics and magazines will be available:

UOUsMS6.jpg

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

For collector/fans, the parking lot on the southeast corner of Hastings/Renfrew St may be cheaper, as I imagine the vendors will take up most of the $15 Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) parking. Also, lots of buses to that corner. e.g. #14 Hastings, #16 Renfrew, #95 Express bus (SFU).

As the Forum building is long positioned north to south, Van Comic Show is renting out the South end and here is a sample of another PNE con Forum overhead layout

To any out of city (Vancouver and surrounding cities around it) comic vendors, this might be your chance to sign up to sell your books. There will be approximately 30 tables available opening up soon. Last show was at 170 tables. The new PNE south forum building is 22k sq ft size. The former Croatian Culture building was at 14,461 sq ft size.  So, there might be better traffic among the tables in the new show, given that it is now 7,000 sq ft bigger than then.

I think FEV might turn their eye on this one. Hard to ignore that one. :whistle:

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

To any out of city (Vancouver and surrounding cities around it) comic vendors, this might be your chance to sign up to sell your books. There will be approximately 30 tables available opening up soon.  :whistle:

I think those 30 x 8' tables will sell fast as some previous vendors wish to expand from 1 table to 2 tables. Also, some shops like Tazmania and Big Pete's Collectibles seem to be renewing their leases in 2019. If they are forced into smaller retail space then they will be selling more of their overstock perhaps at Van Comc Show at the PNE.

There will be lots of competition and wide variety of comics and toys for sale:

ebNd1QV.jpg

FYI on the topic of parking costs. The parking lot on Hastings Community Park ( it is across from corner of PNE of Vancouver Comic Book Show located) on Hastings street by Renfrew st. You can park there for $10 all day. Walking is like @ 5 minutes. There are two other parking lots on Hastings street west of PNE. Both are within one block distance. No information on parking costs.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:55 PM, Fan Boy said:

To any out of city (Vancouver and surrounding cities around it) comic vendors, this might be your chance to sign up to sell your books. There will be approximately 30 tables available opening up soon. Last show was at 170 tables. The new PNE south forum building is 22k sq ft size. The former Croatian Culture building was at 14,461 sq ft size.  So, there might be better traffic among the tables in the new show, given that it is now 7,000 sq ft bigger than then.

I think FEV might turn their eye on this one. Hard to ignore that one. :whistle:

The only significant expansion and the one that's really impossible to ignore is the whopping increase in their admission fees from an outrageous $8 to an even more outrageous and gut wrenching $12 to get through the front doors.  :censored:  :mad:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The only significant expansion ... is the whopping increase in their admission fees from an outrageous $8 to an even more outrageous and gut wrenching $12.  :censored:  :mad:

At least the Van Comic Show (VCS) is a much larger con than the annual Bellingham con where the admission is $10 US. That BLI con has a Vancouver, WA vendor drive north to set up. I restocked some McFarlane covers:

7v4ymZy.jpg

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The only significant expansion and the one that's really impossible to ignore is the whopping increase in their admission fees from an outrageous $8 to an even more outrageous and gut wrenching $12 to get through the front doors.  :censored:  :mad:

Well, it is true about the $12 admission as you said. But look at this way, you are getting more volume in size... it went up an extra 7,000 sq ft than last show. And more vendors to check out your favourite superhero  ... :gossip:  Greggy is one of them. His superpower is well known among here. :grin:

On 1/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, lou_fine said:

The only significant expansion is the whopping increase in their admission fees from an outrageous $8 to an even more outrageous and gut wrenching $12 to get through the front doors.  :censored:  :mad:

Don't forget the $10 to park at the southeast corner of Hastings at Renfrew St, Vancouver. I imagine the vendor's vans and SUVs will all take up the $15 PNE parking next to the Forum building. Restocked some good reading:

Gn5J7Wl.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 7:21 PM, Fan Boy said:

Well, it is true about the $12 admission as you are getting more volume in size... it went up an extra 7,000 sq ft than last show. :grin:

For those vendors that have 'wall' tables and wish to lean their wall rack against the wall, the wall's height is 5 feet 2 inches.

tjxNDH1.jpg

Vendor parking immediately next to PNE Forum building is $13. For those that don't mind hiking in 4-5 blocks, there should be some 'free' street parking. Fan Boy already stated the parking lot at the southeast corner of Hastings St at Renfrew is $10 all day.

A wide variety of comic collectibles will be available at the show with new expanded hours Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.:

BTCKIUt.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 7:21 PM, Fan Boy said:

it went up an extra 7,000 sq ft than last show. And more vendors to check out your favourite superhero  ... :gossip: 

Check out the reasonably priced :whistle: published original comic art available for sale from Vancouver Comic (and Toy) Show's guest penciller Stephen Sadowski (JSA, Invaders/Avengers, etc.).

Lots of competition at the PNE Forum about 1 week before the Fan Expo Vancouver.

1au60IR.jpg

Had a good time at the show today in its new location at the PNE Forum. Beautiful warm sunny Vancouver day, perfect for being inside a big building looking at comics. :cloud9:

Parking was $13 but being a Sunday I found a spot easily a block away on Hastings. Lineup moved quickly. $12 admission. Rows were nice and wide, much easier to move around than the Croatian Cultural Center, but the lighting wasn't nearly as good.

Not a ton of slabs or high-grade raws at these local shows and there were also a lot of tables with toys, video games, DVDs, etc (which don't interest me other than to look at).

Had a good conversation with the proprietor of VanIsle Comic Pressing (fixyourcomics.com) while he showed off a GSXM #1 he had pressed from a 8.5 to a 9.4. Also saw a nice Shock Suspenstories #6 CGC 6.0 that, unfortunately, was not for sale. The vendor has just received it back from a mysterious individual named "Greg" who was apparently quite a player in the comic-collecting world and had connections with a top-notch presser in Florida. Sounded familiar...

Also picked up a nice VF Fantastic Four #6 Annual (signed by Stan Lee and authenticated by @aardvark88 ) and a low-grade Planet #57.

Had fun! (thumbsu

Edited by Black_Adam

The day at the show in PNE was decent good with the attendance number. Lots of room between the rows of tables. Parking cost is ok for me as a vendor. Limited spaces to park, so many people arrived early. 

Didn’t buy much for myself as I am saving my money for ECCC next. But did brought a couple of good books to sent for grading, hoping for nice numbers. 

There was a strange event with one fellow who “claimed” that someone stole his comic collection. He come to our table, explaining his situation to us. I told him that we don’t know what books he had, or whatever he can prove is his. There is no way to I.D. Without proof. We gave out sympathies and he went on his way. He was at many comic book tables around...

Later, he somehow managed to call police to complain one book from another vendor’s table is his. Weird ... I thought as he had no proof to say it is his. Crazy.

Thank you aardvark88 for a nice Archie Mad House book. And I found a Golden Age Guilty #3 comic with front cover by Simon and Kirby, found Pep #98 at a good price. :foryou:

F7BE6C1D-339F-4D60-88F0-84A94E2ED193.jpeg

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Lots of room between the rows of tables. Parking cost is ok for me as a vendor.

Didn’t buy much for myself . 

There was a strange event with one fellow who “claimed” that someone stole his comic collection. He come to our table, explaining his situation to us. I told him that we don’t know what books he had, or whatever he can prove is his. There is no way to I.D. Without proof. We gave out sympathies and he went on his way. He was at many comic book tables around...

Later, he somehow managed to call police to complain one book from another vendor’s table is his. Weird ... I thought as he had no proof to say it is his. Crazy.

Thank you aardvark88 for a nice Archie Mad House book.  :foryou:

F7BE6C1D-339F-4D60-88F0-84A94E2ED193.jpeg

I believe that early Madhouse may be the 4th app. of Sabrina. Pretty scarce SA comic.

That collector who had his storage unit robbed of all his comics also spoke to me, and the Brothers that promoted the PNE forum con. I don't think he had a specific list of the many long boxes of comics stolen though.

Thank you @Black_Adam for being a shrewed purchaser of semi-key bronze, SA and GA comics from me and a good negotiator.

Attendance was solid as there was a steady line up for 90 mins. straight with 2 persons selling admission tix and receiving Food Bank donations. Even at 2 p.m., there were still fresh customers streaming in through the front door. I think 1 of the ATM bank machines ran out of loot and the other ATM had to be repaired by about 3 p.m.  Overall, my retail sales were about 20% above my average boosted by purchases from loyal Forumites.

I will be vending at annual(?) Knights Comics and Collectibles Expo next on Sat. Apr 13, 2019. St. Thomas More Collegiate is fundraising to upgrade their library so my buddy and I wish to support them. Good cross-promotion by their Teachers' Association and eSports contest partnership.

new pop culture Burnaby expo Sat.

Also there is an inaugural Father's Day comic con in the Abbotsford Matsqui community hall:

new Abbotsford comic con Sun. June 16, 2019

15 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Had a good time at the show today in its new location at the PNE Forum. Beautiful warm sunny Vancouver day, perfect for being inside a big building looking at comics. :cloud9:

Parking was $13 but being a Sunday I found a spot easily a block away on Hastings. Lineup moved quickly. $12 admission. Rows were nice and wide, much easier to move around than the Croatian Cultural Center.

Not a ton of slabs or high-grade raws at these local shows and there were also a lot of tables with toys, video games, DVDs, etc (which don't interest me other than to look at).

Had fun! (thumbsu

Nice wide rows made it easier for those in wheel chair or baby stroller to get around the Van Comic Show. Here is Vancouver Sun page A6 article and pics about the show and ASM #1 low grade asking $8,500 Cdn funds:

Vancouver Sun Feb. 25, 2019 pics

20 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Parking was $13 but being a Sunday I found a spot easily a block away on Hastings. Lineup moved quickly. $12 admission. Rows were nice and wide, much easier to move around than the Croatian Cultural Center, but the lighting wasn't nearly as good.

Had a good conversation with the proprietor of VanIsle Comic Pressing (fixyourcomics.com) while he showed off a GSXM #1 he had pressed from a 8.5 to a 9.4. Also saw a nice Shock Suspenstories #6 CGC 6.0 that, unfortunately, was not for sale. The vendor has just received it back from a mysterious individual named "Greg" who was apparently quite a player in the comic-collecting world and had connections with a top-notch presser in Florida. Sounded familiar...

Also picked up a nice VF Fantastic Four #6 Annual (signed by Stan Lee and authenticated by @aardvark88 ) and a low-grade Planet #57.

Had fun! (thumbsu

One day, I'll figure out who you are so I can hide.