• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Print variations (*not* variants)

25 posts in this topic

I'm going through a bunch of my old comics to list on eBay, and came across a few copies of Hulk 392 I bought when they were first released. These have been stored properly ever since, so the color difference isn't due to fading; I remember these being this different when they were new.

Figured I'd see if others have examples of drastic color differences during the print process.

IMG_6891.thumb.jpg.53ba00229f8876f9a4c07abb7efcf0b4.jpg

You'll see this if you look at enough copies of any book, and "enough copies" might only be two.

The problem when it's only the reds that look different is that you can't tell whether it's the result of printing variance or fading.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

You'll see this if you look at enough copies of any book, and "enough copies" might only be two.

The problem when it's only the reds that look different is that you can't tell whether it's the result of printing variance or fading.

True. The interesting thing (I think) about the Hulk books I posted is that it perfectly illustrated why the Hulk was changed from gray to green in the '60s. Because grays generally entails printing with multiple separations, it's very difficult to ensure consistency in the color in a large print run.

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

hm

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6e9008183e2e45a6fc6cea12171a1205.jpg

This looks like the cyan and magenta plates were swapped

I know! Funny thing, they're all like it. Every copy I've seen. That's the Australians for you.