• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to settle....
3 3

51 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, vaillant said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't really chase those nosebleed grades, but I do have at least one 9.8 slab, and several 9.6 slabs.

Having cracked out many 9.6, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0 slabs, the only thing that is consistent is the inconsistency.

Some of my best and pleasant surprises I've had were buying your 9.2 slabs that you got surprised/shafted on.  They sure as heck weren't 9.2s when I cracked them out. lol

I slabbed very, very few books. I’d say my Sub-Mariner #1 was pretty much spot on. I’d have said NM but turned out a 9.6.
The few I deslabbed… I agreed with the grade, not always with the Page Quality.

I've slabbed zero books - I get them once they've passed to the other side.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I slabbed the Subby because I wanted to sell it, and since it has some value I preferred professional grading. I say that in the NM/NM+ range the CGC grading is accurate.
Only thing which I believe somewhat lacks a standard is the criteria for the Whiteness of pages: while I understand that not all publishers starts with the same kind of paper, and that White for GA books factor in the normal yellowing unavoidable due to age… well, it seems somewhat arbitrary to me. White should be White, I don’t care if it’s a book which belonged to Don Rosa.

1 hour ago, vaillant said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

This should result to something similar to what happens to Cain in Genesis: banned from here with a "mark of infamy" on your scaled skin. :makepoint:

I've been helpful in really screwing up the census, though! :D

10 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Unless you really, really, really want a slabbed copy, that book comes up quite frequently in a raw form here on the boards.  You can probably get a similar raw copy for $50 or less.

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Unless you really, really, really want a slabbed copy, that book comes up quite frequently in a raw form here on the boards.  You can probably get a similar raw copy for $50 or less.

I figure slabbed copies are much easier to sell in the long run.  I usually buy a nice slabbed copy and a cheap reader copy. Plus my grading skills are not very good at this point.  I'm still a noob.

Edited by Xenosmilus

31 minutes ago, vaillant said:
1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

For copper-modern books I'm interested in, I'd still rather hold out for a 9.8. These books are more readily available.

My question is: while I appreciate CGC professional grading service, is it enjoyable to have a perfect book when you are unable to touch it, browse it, etc?
Recently I picked out some Defenders which were in NM with White pages and it’s a joy to rebrowse them and/or read the stories. Actually it’s a joy to read a book (well-)printed on Newsprint still with White pages, no matter the grade. :foryou:

A few years ago I wanted to add to my collection a nice copy of PPSSM #64, the first appearance of Cloak and Dagger.

So I picked up this copy:

SpectacularSpiderMan1976-064-040154.jpeg.20b29c1286784a5fd83ae69998f4fb1d.jpeg

Seeing that the book was "perfect," and knowing there is collectability and a market for this book in perfect condition, why would I keep it to read, browse, smell, and fondle that would risk degrading its condition and its value? I just submitted it to CGC. I can enjoy that I have a superb copy of this book with the added bonus of getting a premium back if I ever choose to sell it.

SpectacularSpiderMan1976-064-CGC98U-0319310025.jpeg.b7efc183db7cbc1062116d5b7d9ab58f.jpeg

I just bought a lower-grade copy to read and keep in a Mylar, and I can fondle it anytime I want to without too much worry.

SpectacularSpiderMan1976-064-033030.jpg.897e91b93881ea10d1e9ad135e80ad79.jpg

29 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I figure slabbed copies are much easier to sell in the long run.  I usually buy a nice slabbed copy and a cheap reader copy. Plus my grading skills are not very good at this point.  I'm still a noob.

Definitely would'nt go for the 9.8 for this book. There's even a very nice looking 9.2 for sale for just over $100.

27 minutes ago, mrc said:
58 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Definitely would'nt go for the 9.8 for this book. There's even a very nice looking 9.2 for sale for just over $100.

If grading skills aren't good, and you think $300 is a deal on this book, I'd probably recommend just buying the reader copy.

GPA is about $100 less than the eBay auction for the 9.6 referenced.  I guess it is just one way to potentially lose money, and maybe less harmful than drugs or alcohol.

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If grading skills aren't good, and you think $300 is a deal on this book, I'd probably recommend just buying the reader copy.

GPA is about $100 less than the eBay auction for the 9.6 referenced.  I guess it is just one way to potentially lose money, and maybe less harmful than drugs or alcohol.

Didn't say it was a deal just cheaper than a 9.8. It's 250 on their website and GPA has it @ $210, 12 month average.

3 hours ago, vaillant said:

Only thing which I believe somewhat lacks a standard is the criteria for the Whiteness of pages: while I understand that not all publishers starts with the same kind of paper, and that White for GA books factor in the normal yellowing unavoidable due to age… well, it seems somewhat arbitrary to me. White should be White, I don’t care if it’s a book which belonged to Don Rosa.

Yup.  It often seems a secondary consideration as a grading criterion.  For example, I've received an expensive NM raw SA  book, graded as a white pager, with edges which were really quite obviously browning and OW, at best.  

12 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I guess when you really get down to it, its your money and "having to settle" shouldn't be an issue. If you're gonna regret the 9.6 buy the 9.8  not for any reason that has to do with money but because you want it.

Keeping in mind that the 9.8 might have graded a 9.6 on a different day.

3 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

A few years ago I wanted to add to my collection a nice copy of PPSSM #64, the first appearance of Cloak and Dagger.

So I picked up this copy:

SpectacularSpiderMan1976-064-040154.jpeg.20b29c1286784a5fd83ae69998f4fb1d.jpeg

Seeing that the book was "perfect," and knowing there is collectability and a market for this book in perfect condition, why would I keep it to read, browse, smell, and fondle that would risk degrading its condition and its value? I just submitted it to CGC. I can enjoy that I have a superb copy of this book with the added bonus of getting a premium back if I ever choose to sell it.

SpectacularSpiderMan1976-064-CGC98U-0319310025.jpeg.b7efc183db7cbc1062116d5b7d9ab58f.jpeg

I just bought a lower-grade copy to read and keep in a Mylar, and I can fondle it anytime I want to without too much worry.

SpectacularSpiderMan1976-064-033030.jpg.897e91b93881ea10d1e9ad135e80ad79.jpg

I don’t agree. It’s not the same thing to read a lowgrade copy, especially if it’s weary. If I handle a 9.6/9.8 well, the worst thing that could happen is that it becomes a 9.4 in my hands… but then it ends here. And only if it’s expensive, and not GA or SA I could just slab it in case I need to sell it.

A thing that in general would be extremely unpractical/costly from Italy, anyway.

5 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

I couldn't deal with that white spine.

96.JPG

Yes, yes and yes.

If the book is that one, it’s one if my favorites as well. I bought it when I joined here, a nice raw copy in about VF, with good centering, and perfectly happy with it. My ASM #101 is a pretty VFNM.

Edited by vaillant